ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doom Patrol (2019)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Doom Patrol (2019) Reply with quote

Doom Patrol debuted on HBO on February 15, 2019. It is currently shooting its third season.

The show is based upon the 1960s DC comic book created by Arnold Drake, Bob Haney, and artist Bruno Premiani.

The comic book had the brilliant scientist Niles Caulder, who is in a wheelchair, assemble a group of individuals in order to battle the nefarious forces in the world.

Rita Farr (Elasti-Girl) was a beautiful movie star who was exposed to strange volcanic gases while shooting a film in a jungle.

The gas has given Rita the ability to grow to a gigantic size as well as to shrink down to six-inches.

Larry Trainor (Negative Man) was a top jet fighter pilot. While in an experimental jet, he encountered a mysterious energy which swirled around his craft.

Larry was irradiated so highly that he was severely disfigured and now is required to wear bandages on his entire body giving him a Mummy-like appearance.

A powerful entity of pure energy capable of flight now resides within Larry that can be released for only sixty-seconds at a time.

Cliff Steele (Robotman) was a skilled race car driver who was involved in a horrific accident during a race.

Cliff's body was beyond repair, but Niles was able to salvage Cliff's brain and has transplanted it into a robotic body which has immense strength.

They are known as "The World's Strangest Heroes." And while they perform missions of good for the world, they are feared by the general public.

Crazy Jane. This character would join the DP years later in the comics during one of the numerous rebirths of the comic book series.

Jane has multiple personality disorder. Only in her case each personality possess a unique superpower.

As a kid my dad let me have a subscription to my favorite comic book. It was the DP.

A good friend loaned me the dvds of HBO's DP's first 2 seasons.

Man, it is wild.

The creators of the DP TV series have taken some liberties with the characters and their origin stories. All for the better.

The show takes the formulaic superhero TV show and turns it upside down, inside out and creates a superhero TV show like no other.

It is bizarre, comedic, dramatic, and generally does not take you down a predictable path when they can sucker punch you.

I'm loving this series because it is so different from any other superhero TV show I've watched.

Some of you might find it is too out there for your taste.

But if you want to see a superhero team live action series like no other, then DP is for you.

The production values are superb.

The cast is absolutely fantastic and you find yourself riveted by each of their individual stories.

_____________ Doom Patrol | Extended Trailer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Doom Patrol (2019) Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Cliff's body was beyond repair, but Niles was able to salvage Cliff's brain and has transplanted it into a robotic body which has immense strength.

Okay, I just find this statement funny. I have the mental picture of the Doctor sorting through the poor man's destroyed body.

Can't use this, throws a leg aside. Nor these, tosses the arms aside. This is just useless, tosses the chest aside. Lifts the brain out of the broken skull. Welllll, maybe I can do something with this. Laughing

As a kid back in the 60s, I used to love reading this comic in the Barber Shop. I wasn't a fan of superhero comics, but for some reason I did like this one.

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The head reminds me a little of Box from Logan's Run.

~ The Space Children (1958)
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box's head was done well enough, but the rest of his body came off as comical to me and I couldn't take the robot seriously.

Then again, I was never a fan of "Logan's Run" in the first place.

Fine cast and some marvelous production values to it. Had the germ of an intriguing concept regarding ageism. However, the film just was not well executed overall.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I agree completely.

That movie could have been much better. Sad

POW wrote:
Larry Trainor (Negative Man) was a top jet fighter pilot. While in an experimental jet, he encountered a mysterious energy which swirled around his craft.

Larry was irradiated so highly that he was severely disfigured and now is required to wear bandages on his entire body giving him a Mummy-like appearance.

A powerful entity of pure energy capable of flight now resides within Larry that can be released for only sixty-seconds at a time.

Pow, I applaud your well-written description of this highly original character! It encourages me to find out more about the series — and this character in particular— because you've summed up his characteristic so succinctly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: