ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jurassic Park III (2001)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Jurassic Park III (2001) Reply with quote

I liked the third Jurassic Park when I first saw it — and I still do. I like it even better after seeing the fourth one.

I'm spittin' into the wind by criticizing a movie that's earned $1.285 billion so far and claiming that its predecessor — this one — is far better. After all, Jurassic Park III only earned $369 million.

Chump change, relatively speaking.

But this tale of a daring rescue and a brave team in search of a lost boy is, in my opinion, a much better movie than Jurassic World — with its silly suggestion that velociraptors would make great G.I. Joe-asauruses!

The character in the movie who liked that idea got eaten. I wish the writer who thought it up would suffer the same fate.

And what about those endless shots of really, really stupid tourists who think that running and screaming in a big open area is the smart thing to do when threatened by a flock of hungry pterodactyls. I mean, Jeez Marie, if it had starting raining these morons would have quickly run indoors! But we don't see a single person do that when the flying dinosaurs swooped down!

Jurassic Park III had nothing as insultingly stupid in the whole movie. In fact, the story has several good moments that proved the characters are both courageous and clever.

For example, the lost boy survives for weeks on the dinosaur-filled island by collecting T-Rex piss, because the odor scares away other dinosaurs. Bright lad.

Alessandro Nivola (Sam Neill's young assistant) uses a scavenged parasail to snatch a boy from a nest of baby pterodactyls. You don't see THAT every day! Shocked

The story is focused on the survival of the group, and it doesn't feel the need to concoct evil capitalists working in cahoots with unprincipled genetic engineers to make designer dinosaurs that'll keep the ticket-buying public from getting bored and going back to Disneyland.

And yet, look at the spooky little parallel to what happened in real life. Movie goers didn't cotton to the second and third Jurassic Park films like they did to the first one because they felt like they'd been-there-and-done-that.

So, Hollywood did the same thing the geneticists did in the fourth movie — they invented bigger and smarter dinosaurs to lure audiences back to the theaters.

I might not like the fourth one, but one thing its premise did right was mirror the way people act when they need a new cinematic thrill to replace the old one.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:11 pm; edited 6 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this movie. I think it does a fine job of getting a group of people back into Dinosaurland without just copying the original.

If you're less fond of it than I am, refresh your memory with the trailer.
Very Happy

~ The Space Children (1958)
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BudBrewster wrote:
...the lost boy survives for weeks on the dinosaur-filled island by collecting T-Rex piss, because the odor scares away other dinosaurs.

And when Sam Neil asks him how he managed to collect it, the boy answers something along the lines of, "You don't wanta know."

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the boy hid under a bush, waited for a T-Rex to walk past, and made sounds like water gurgling. That always make ME have to pee! Shocked

Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3rd Jurassic Park film (after the 1997 sequel) has a slow first 10 minutes, but then it gets to that island and everything after that happens at a breakneck speed, hardly ever letting up.

The plot returns Sam Neill's character, Alan Grant, to the forefront (he skipped the '97 film). He's approached by a (supposedly) wealthy couple — William Macy and Tea Leoni — who, like Hammond in the first film, promise to fund his continuing research in return for an aerial tour of the island.

Grant agrees, but is adamant about staying off the island, seeing it as certain death. But that is just what happens; he has been tricked by the couple, who are actually a middle-class divorced pair who have a missing son who went missing near this island as part of a vacation parasailing package.

Very quickly things go from troubling to a lot worse, as their attempt to take off after an unauthorized landing is impeded by one of the island's larger beasts.

___________Jurassic Park 3 - A Broken Reunion

The highlight of this latest Jurassic escapade is the intro of the Spinosaurus, which is like a huge crocodile on two legs. It proves to be the new champ on the block as far as dangerous dinosaurs, making short work of a T-Rex and signaling to the audience that this is the new king, the new terror.

Its continuing pursuit of the small humans throughout the film is very intense.

Also back are the tenacious raptors, but the story throws in a twist in that the raptors are looking for something this time, not just easy prey.

Laura Dern reprises her role from the 1st film in a small role, not on the island but by being connecting to Grant by phone at key moment that saved he lives of his entire part.

This was in most ways a smaller, more compact film than the previous two films, with a shorter running time. As such, though it made it into the Top 10 at the box office of the films in 2001, it had substantially less of a gross than the first two films.

Maybe that's why there wasn't another sequel until Jurassic World in 2015. But even with the somewhat silly plot twists and a baffling denouement, it's rarely boring.

BoG's Score: 7 out of 10

____________ [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-LFUnE8zzE]Jurassic Park 3 - Persistent Beast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: