ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Andy Griffith Show . . . starring Andy Griffith!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: The Andy Griffith Show . . . starring Andy Griffith! Reply with quote

Bulldogtrekker and I have been watching synchronized Andy Griffith downloads from YouTube while chatting on Facebook, and we're currently at the midpoint of season 4.

We've both been fans of the show for decades, and they're so good we just can't get tired of them.

Are there any other honorary citizens of Mayberry out there? If so, ya wanna walk down to Wally's Service Station with us and get a cold soda? Aunt Bea said supper will be ready in about an hour, so we got time. Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like so many others,I am a huge AGS fan. Marvelous cast, timeless stories, both funny and poignant.

Interesting to view the early episodes where Andy has a thick southern accent, never riles, & is the primary focus of the humor.

The story goes that Griffith realized it was better to tone down his Andy Taylor character & let Don Knotts & the rest of the cast shine while he played more straight man.

Lot of actors would not have been secure enough or let their egos allow such a situation.

Praise to Mr.Griffith. He knew what would make the show a lasting hit. And here it is after all these years as popular as its ever been.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Why is the Andy Griffith Show So Popular after Fifty Years? Reply with quote

Why is the Andy Griffith Show So Popular after Fifty Years?
By Bulldogtrekker

There are several sixties television shows that I am now rewatching again, mainly on DVD. As a card-carrying member of All Sci-Fi, most of them are the expected science-fiction television shows; Twilight Zone; Outer Limits; Star Trek (in all forms); and the newly available Science Fiction Theater.

However, there is one other series that I watch and enjoy: The Andy Griffith Show.

Sometimes I wonder why I like the show so much. It has no science fiction themed episodes and no cast or guest stars that appeared in 1950's science fiction movies. Not a lick.

I do enjoy the cast: Andy Griffith was a talented natural actor. Don Knotts was the perfect comic sidekick to play off Andy's serious manner. And young Ronnie Howard was perfectly cast as Andy's son. And the other cast members were great, also.

(I should mention that I am referring to the B&W episodes; the show wasn't the same after Don Knotts left).

According to Wiki, new writers took over the scriptwriting for the post-Knotts color seasons, and they generally abandoned the character-based sitcom format in favor of dry humor revolving around rather mundane aspects of life in a small town.

Do I like the show because it was set in the South? Probably. I know I like it because it is funny.

I agree with Pow that the show was funniest when Andy relaxed and let the other cast members shine.

The Andy Griffith originally ran on CBS from October 3, 1960 to April 1, 1968, and has been shown in reruns ever since.

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube had the pilot for TAGS. It was an episode of Danny Thomas's TV show Make Room For Daddy entitled cleverly enough "Danny Meets Andy."

Interesting to watch. No Barney, Aunt Bee is on but as another character, Opie is there, different set for the sheriff's office. But you can see many of the elements in the making that will finally be TAgS we know.

I find it intriguing that Danny's TV show is not as well known or popular these days,TAGS is. Danny was a first rate producer as one of the producer's of TAGS, as well as the beloved classic Dick Van Dyke Show. Still its of note that those shows remain hugely watched to this day while Danny's has faded by comparison.

Wonder if there are other TV shows whose episodes served as a backdoor pilot for a spin off where the pilot show eclipsed the series it spun off from?
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first episode introduced Andy's new Deputy, Barney. And Barney thanked his cousin Andy for hiring him.

Andy Griffith loved Howard Morris as Ernest T. Bass, but the studio wouldn't let him have HM on the show that much. He was such a strong character, that it was felt tht he overshadowed the rest of the cast.

A similar thing happened on "Bewitched". Elizabeth Montgomery loved having Paul Lynde on the show. The problem was that Elizabeth Montgomery couldn't keep a straight face around him. She would crackup as soon as he started talking.

When "Helix" parodied the opening of the AGS in one episode last season, I thought I was going to split a gut laughing.

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard McNear played the enjoyable barber Floyd Lawson.

During the run of the series, Howard suffered a massive stroke.
He continued on the show even though he was weakened by the stroke. From then on they would film him sitting, standing up held in place, or in close ups.

Don Knotts said once that Howard really was just like his character of Floyd in real life.

On the acclaimed episode of Star Trek "City On the Edge of Forever, there is a scene of Kirk & Edith walking down a street at night. They pass by a window with the sign, Floyd's Barber Shop.

TAGS used the 40 Acres back lot exterior sets as Mayberry. Coincidentally so did Star Trek as both series were Desilu shows & 40 Acres was the back lot of Desilu.
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Howard McNear played the enjoyable barber Floyd Lawson.

During the run of the series,Howard suffered a massive stroke.
He continued on the show even though he was weakened by the stroke. From then on they would film him sitting,standing up held in place,or in close ups.

Don Knotts said once that Howard really was just like his character of Floyd in real life.

On the acclaimed episode of Star Trek "City On the Edge of Forever,"there is a scene of Kirk & Edith walking down a street at night.They pass by a window with the sign,Floyd's Barber Shop.
TAGS used the 40 Acres Backlot exterior sets as Mayberry.Coincidentally so did Star Trek as both series were Desilu shows & 40 Acres was the backlot of Desilu.

Howard McNear wanted to retire after the stroke, due to his physical impairment. But Andy Griffith felt his character was important to the series, and wanted him on the show. So like you wrote, accommodations were made for his physical condition. In one episode, where he was cutting hair, they built a special teeter-totter so he could sit, but still look like he was standing.

In addition to "The City on the Edge of Forever", the Mayberry set was used as the ruined city in the episode "Miri". That episode gives the best views of the tops of the sets.

David.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't lived until you have seen Helen dancing in the season 6 episode Look Paw, I'm Dancing
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen Crump in a blouse that looks like a Star Trek uniform; and I have seen her wear it twice in 2 different episodes from Season 7.

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is likely that it is a TOS uniform as both The Andy Griffith Show and Star Trek were filmed at Desilu studios.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldogtrekker wrote:
...I have seen her wear it twice in 2 different episodes from Season 7.

From the episode, "Helen, the Authoress".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen,_the_Authoress

The other appears to be "Opie's Girlfriend".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0512533/

She may be more recognizable on All Sci-Fi as actress Aneta Corsaut, playing opposite Steve McQueen in The Blob.

WayneO
-----------
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blob is an enjoyable movie. Surprised that there was only one sequel & one reboot in all these years.

Think Steve liked putting this movie on his acting resume?
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at what my buddy Bud made for me in MS Paint!
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldogtrekker wrote:
Look at what my buddy Bud made for me in MS Paint!

You mean Bud's still around?

WayneO
-----------
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's been busy on a Top Secret project... but I gather the 359-page Word document is, basically, complete now, so he'll be back before you know it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: