ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sir Bud's Noble List of Favorite Adventure Movies!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Sir Bud's Noble List of Favorite Adventure Movies! Reply with quote

Swashbucklers, pirate movies, and fantasy adventures are a dime a dozen — but the really good ones are rare indeed.

Here's my list of favorites in a genre that is far removed from science fiction in some ways . . . but closely akin in others. The common denominator is the beauty of pure imagination and the nobility of true heroes.

I've organized the list below by the movie's release dates, not by the order of my favorites. Each movie has it's own unique merits, so comparing them would be apples-and-oranges, as they say.

But my comments about each one describes what qualities they possess which earns them a place on this list.

Captain Blood (1935)

Errol Flynn took center stage in Hollywood when he portrayed the nobel doctor who became a fear pirate captain because the corrupt English king allowed him to be sold into slavery just for treating a man who was deemed a “rebel”..

This movie set the standard for both sea battles and sword play, while it also presented a very touching romance. And all this happens while Eric Wolfgang Korngold’s beautiful score thrils us with music which served as a standard right up until John Williams gave us the music in Star Wars!

The Sea Hawk (1940)

Mr. Flynn surpassed himself, along with director Michael Curtis, in a classic adventure that actually inspired many of the scenes in my own novel, Sail the Sea of Stars! And the music by Eric Wolfgang Korngold equals Mr. John William’s score for the George Lucas space fantasies that mesmerized the world.

Prince Valiant (1954)

Based on comic artist Hal Foster’s famous newspaper strip, this glorious Technicolor Cinemascope production from 20th Century Fox is pure adventure and medieval eye-candy from start to finish, with a rousing score by Franz Waxman. The fair damsels in distress are played by the luscious Janet Leight and Debra Paget, and the dashing hero is Mr. Robert Wagner.

The climatic sword fight between Wagner and villain James Mason is unparalleled in its accurate portrayal of two knights battling against each other with broadswords. This is no elegant duel between men with fencing foils! These are combatants using heavy steel “clubs” with sharp edges, pounding away at each other and literally trashing King Arthurs chamber, which includes the famous Round Table!

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938 )

This is perhaps the most famous Errol Flynn movie, and with good reason. The 1939 Technicolor photography is terrific, the cast is superb, the score by Eric Wolfgang Korngold is rousing, and the story is epic.

And despite the fact that arrows don’t make “whizzing” sounds in flight, this movie convinces us that a hero with bow can defeat a tyrant and save a kingdom!

The Mark of Zorro (1940)

Tyrone Power makes black outfits the color of heroic men as he appears and disappears at just the right moments, terrorizing the villains and bringing hope to the poor Mexican peons in Old California.

His climatic swordfight with Basil Rathbone is so exciting that we hardly notice how brief it actually is!

The Black Swan (1942)

Tyron Power is back, and this time he’s a rascally pirate and a genuine scoundrel in the grand tradition of Captain Jack Sparrow! He wins the heart and hand of the beautiful Maureen O’Hara — but not with charm and romantic words, he does it with bold advances and ungentlemanly behavior!

The opening scene is undoubtedly the inspiration for Disneyland’s famous ride, Pirates of the Carribean! A seaside Caribbean town is overrun by colorful pirates, and the flames of the burning buildings illuminate the sky in the background, while the scurvy cutthroats make off with their armloads of loot!

It’s all here, in blazing Technicolor in the 1940 production from 20th Century Fox.

Adventures of Don Juan (1948)

Imagine a movie with all the heroism of Errol Flynn’s other movies, combined with generous amounts of both humor and romanitic moments with lovely ladies. Then picture a climatic duel that equals anything in the history of this action-packed genre!

Now envision all this in glorious Technicolor, with stunning photography and spectacular sets in the true Warner Bros. tradition!

This is, in many ways, my favorite Errol Flynn movie — despite the fierce competition from the other films listed above.

The Flame and the Arrow (1950)

Burt Lancaster does what Errol Flynn did — but he did it enve better in the Robin-Hood-like tale of brave rebels battling tyranny in East Europe. But sidekick in this great movie is played by this real-life sidekick when they were both circus acrobats before going to Hollywood.

Max Steiner’s rousing scpre is a big plus in this remarkable adventure.

The Crimson Pirate (1952)

This is the “fun” pirate movie which thrilled kids in the early 1950s. Burt Lancaster and his real-life friend Nick Cravat play Captain Vallo and his mute sidekick Ojo, the two most likable rapscallions in film history!

This exciting movie borders on science fiction, because it includes a portly scientists who arms Captain Vallo with several technological innovations — like a Gatling gun, a one-man submarine, a hot air balloon, and several nitroglycerin bombs!

The stunts performed by our heroes are outrageous and unforgettable.
Very Happy

Princess of the Nile (1954)

Jeffery Hunter (TOS’ Captain Pike) and the luscious Debra Paget electrify the screen in this rare and seldom-seen independent production which features Michael Rennie, Jack Elam, and other familiar faces in the cast.

This is a low budget production which delivers priceless entertainment!

Princess Of The Nile - Debra Paget & Jeffrey Hunter

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fine selections, Bud. Although I have to question Princess of the Nile as a "classic." And while Flynn's Don Juan is fun, his Robin Hood is superb.

Some classic adventure movies that I enjoy watching are:

The Prisoner of Zenda, both the 1937 & 1952 versions are enjoyable.

The Four Feathers - 1939.

Beau Geste - 1939.

Scaramouche - 1952.

For a humorous take on historical adventure films you cannot beat Danny Kaye in The Court Jester for my money.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
All fine selections, Bud. Although I have to question Princess of the Nile as a "classic".

Ah well . . . you're correct, sir! I used the word "classic" a bit too subjectively. Very Happy

I changed the name of the thread to "Sir Bud's Noble List of Favorite Adventure Movies!" Very Happy

And I certainly should have included Scaramouche. I actually had it (and a few more) on my list. But it was time for All Sci-Fi's Saturday Live Chat to start, so I decided to just post what I'd already written.

For the record, Scaramouche includes the longest sword fight in all the swashbucklers!

IMDB: This movie contains what is reported to be the longest fencing duel ever caught on film, a sequence lasting nearly eight minutes.

The climactic fight ranges throughout a crowed theater, from the balcony boxes, to the lobby, through the main seats, backstage, and finally on the stage itself.

As for the other movies you named (and our differing opinion of Princess of the Nile), it's just a matter of taste, of course. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: