ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When Worlds Collide (1951)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten years ago, there were plans for a remake:

Quote:
Paramount Pictures and Steven Spielberg have brought Stephen Sommers back into their tentpole remake of When Worlds Collide, reports Variety. Sommers will write and direct the film, and Spielberg will produce.

Sommers, who directed "The Mummy" films and Van Helsing, was aligned with the project when Paramount first made a deal for it earlier this year.

Paramount released the original 1951 When Worlds Collide, directed by Rudolph Mate, and cleaned up some rights issues surrounding the movie when Sommers became interested in remaking the actioner.

However, his version languished a bit when Paramount's new regime came in and he dropped out in favor of a deal to direct and produce Fox's A Night at the Museum. At the same time, Spielberg came aboard When Worlds Collide as producer.

Sometime around September, Sommers dropped out of "Museum" due to creative differences, which led him back to When Worlds Collide. The Fox project now is in the hands of Cheaper by the Dozen director Shawn Levy.

Sommers is also onboard as a producer for DreamWorks The Argonauts. He and his production partner Bob Ducsay also are expected to receive producer credits on When Worlds Collide. Sommers will start writing early in 2006.

Other tentpoles in the works at Paramount are Believe It or Not!, to be directed by Tim Burton and starring Jim Carrey, and Invisible World, to be directed by Ridley Scott.

Not every movie project makes it all the way, even with Spielberg involved, it seems. Wikipedia currently says concerning the new version "as of April 2015, however, its status remained unknown, according to IMDB, and it appears unlikely that the remake will ever be made." Sad
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Given the many reboots of the classic sf films from the fifties such as The Day The Earth Stood Still,The Thing,War Of The Worlds & so forth,it amazes me that WWC has not been revived.

The movie 2012 was, in essence, a WWC remake, albeit earthbound. All the major plot points paralleled WWC. Even the concept of multiple ships was mentioned early in WWC, when they referred to other spaceships being built in other countries.

WayneO
-----------
Steve Joyce
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it may be worth....

This is my favorite of the George Pal Sci Fi films.

Next comes Destination Moon and only then War of the Worlds (which I somehow imagine most folks rank as 1st).

...and I'm very fond of Philip Wylie as an author.

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend at another website ("Fred" at NautilusSubmarine) wanted to model the Space Ark in 3D CGI, and took me up on my offer of assistance. Although he was originally intending to model only as much of the interior as could be seen during the construction phase in the movie, we got carried away and started fleshing out (or in) the cabin interior.

One big headache to puzzle out was the arrangement of the airlock and outer door with respect to the cabin door. Depending on the scene, the actors may be going toward or coming from either forward or aft when moving between the inner and outer doors.

The cabin bracing arches were pretty straightforward to draw, as there were adequate views showing the detail. The seats were more of a challenge. There were several camera angles of the passenger seating, so they weren't that much of a problem.

One peculiarity, however, was the apparent wood block under each chair frame (red arrows), possibly indicating that the chairs were adapted from some other use.

The pilot seats were another story. Views of them were extremely limited, and such views as we had showed that they were extremely complex; much too complex to have been built specifically for a sci-fi B-movie.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/cK0dXzM.jpg?1[/img]

What many (let's say most) of the sci-fi movies and TV shows of the 1950s made use of for props was military surplus. After WWII it was plentiful and cheap. So I began searching the 'net for photos of vintage military aircraft seats. It eventually paid off. Those seats came from B-24 bombers, model J and later. They were also used in B-29s.

The photo above shows them without the headrests, which are seen in the movie and the photo below.

But even though I was able to collect over two dozen photos of these seats, in various stages of deterioration and restoration, and showing at least a couple different design configurations, it was a real bee-yotch to draw. I had to essentially reverse engineer them in order to have at least some level of confidence I was getting a reasonable representation of the proportions and interpreting what I saw in the photos somewhat accurately. It went far beyond the level of detail Fred would need for his project.

It took several weeks to arrive at a comfortable stopping place for the pilot seat drawing. Encouraged by that success, I thought it might be possible to track down a source for the passenger seat design. So I began searching for vintage tubular frame lawn chairs. That yielded nothing satisfactory, so I substituted "lounge" for "lawn". Bingo!

When I saw the "Barwa" lounge chair designed by Edgar Bartolucci and Jack Waldheim, first produced in 1947, I knew I had a match.

Bare frame:

This frame flipped around and tilted up about 50?? is a perfect match for the drawing I came up with from screen grabs of the movie. This image shows my drawing on the left, the Barwa chair on the right, and a stick figure tracing of the chair frame in between in red.

The seat/backrest portion (and wood block support!) were then added by the studio.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This an amazing piece of work, Wayne! Keep us posted on the progress of the project.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Fred will be working a while longer on the pilot seat, deciding how to simplify it. But he's already finished the passenger seats.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Joyce wrote:
This is my favorite of the George Pal Sci Fi films.

Steve, you and several of our other members might be interested to know that the Friday Live Chat crowd has decide to dispense with our unsuccessful attempt to choose movies by voting each week, and we're going to try something different.

From now on, the folks who attend the Friday live chat will discuss what movie (or movies) to watch during the next Friday Live Chat and settle on the choice before we adjourn for the evening.

We did this last Friday (Dec 11th), and we've decided to watch When Worlds Collide and The Fly (1958) during the next Friday Live Chat on December 18th.

We'll be starting the first movie about 8:00 EST, so try not to be late if you plan to attend. Very Happy

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's safe to show my drawing of the aforementioned pilot's seat. The passenger seat is also shown for size comparison.

WayneO
-----------
Krel

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been threatening a WWC remake since the late 70's. I remember that back in the eighties they announced a WWC remake, but it was to be based off another book, I think the name was "Puma". Confused

If they ever do a remake, then I hope that they do it as a period piece, and keep the multiple ships.

David.
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
... The astonishing visual FX of today would do it justice.

The problem with remakes today is that along with the outstanding CG FX, we would also get emotion filled, science depleted, logic ignored content. I cite the retreads of DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and WAR OF THE WORLDS as examples.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
The problem with remakes today is that along with the outstanding CG FX, we would also get emotion filled, science depleted, logic ignored content. I cite the retreads of DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and WAR OF THE WORLDS as examples.

Boy, that's it in a nutshell!

But we should remember that only a small percentage of sci-fi movies are really good — regardless of when they were made. The year 1957, for example, produced more sci-fi movies (over 40) than any other year in that decade, but only about six of them were actually good!

So, I don't think the problem is that they're more likely to make the remakes badly today, it just that filmmakers who can do movies well are rare. That's the way it's always been.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This great movie was the featured presentation for All Sci-Fi's Friday Live Chat on March 18th, 2016, so naturally I had the brilliant idea to add the trailer and the movie to the thread. Very Happy

_______________ When Worlds Collide - Trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Soviet 1953 poster from their "International Progress of Youth" series:

Very similar! I wonder where they got the inspiration?

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
Very similar! I wonder where they got the inspiration?

The 1937 German film Weltraumschiff 1 startet (Spaceship 1 Launches) showed a torpedo-shaped spaceship being launched from a cradle on an inclined track, and I'm sure the idea was used in pulp sci-fi stories before that.

Does my avatar look familiar?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you mean this guy! Cool. Cool

Boy, would I like to see this movie.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: