ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sanctuary (2007 - 2011)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Sanctuary (2007 - 2011) Reply with quote

Sanctuary follows the exploits of Dr. Helen Magnus, a 157-year-old teratologist (born August 27, 1850) and her quest to protect various abnormal animals and people with certain extraordinary powers and abilities.

She heads the Sanctuary Network, which consists of large facilities known as "Sanctuaries" scattered throughout the world serving as safe havens for these "Abnormals". In her youth she was trained by her father, a gifted Victorian-era scientist, to study the world and protect the unusual.

She was a member of a group of experimental scientists known as "The Five", which also included Nikola Tesla, Nigel Griffin, Dr. James Watson, and Magnus's lover John Druitt. Helen acquired a vial of untainted vampire blood and used it in a serum that "The Five" injected into themselves.

After the injection, they each developed Abnormal traits: Magnus experienced drastically slowed aging, and longevity with no clear limit; Nigel Griffin acquired the power to become invisible at will; Dr. James Watson's intellect was tremendously heightened; Nikola Tesla underwent transformation into a vampire, with the additional power of electrical manipulation; John Druitt developed longevity and the ability to teleport through time and space — but already unstable, he soon was driven to give in to his dark impulses, and becomes Jack the Ripper.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first TV series to make extensive use of Virtual Sets.
MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the first ep of this, but I just couldn't get into it.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean. I made it through one and a half episodes of Dark Matter, hoping to love it and binge watch the episodes from Netflix. But the premise just didn't appeal to me. Even the sets were unappealing — the ship's interior was extremely dark, and it didn't seem very hi-tech. (I love hi-tech. Hey, doesn't everybody?)

All this was deliberate of course, to give the show the somber mood the producers wanted. But it just didn't appeal to me.

And I read a few articles about the series and just didn't get the impression that it was going to change in ways that that make me like it more.

Oh well. I'm waiting for the disc of Fast Forward to arrive. I hope I'll have better luck with it.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now a fan of Sanctuary after watching eight episodes form Netflix. The show just keeps getting better and better!

The music, for example, is quite good — and I discovered today that the first seven episodes were done by Joel Goldsmith, son of the legendary composer Jerry Goldsmith. Here's the haunting closing theme for season 1.

_____ Sanctuary-Season One End Credits Music

_________

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri May 20, 2022 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanctuary was a television show of firsts according to Wikipedia.

It was filmed almost entirely using the green screen technique. Unlike many other TV shows, no elaborate sets were constructed for scenes that were filmed.

Instead CGI technology was utilized.

This was also one of the first TV series in North America to utilize the RED camera exclusively. The RED camera system does away with tape and film and records straight to a hard drive allowing the Anthem visual effects and post production team immediate access to the day's footage.

Sidebar: I remember liking this show and being fascinated with their use of virtual sets. It was a real game changer for TV production, along with the RED camera system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: