ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Last Mimzy (2007)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: The Last Mimzy (2007) Reply with quote

(from Wikipedia)

The Last Mimzy is a 2007 science fiction adventure drama film directed by Bob Shaye and loosely adapted from the acclaimed 1943 science fiction short story "Mimsy Were the Borogoves" by Lewis Padgett (the pseudonym of husband and wife team Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore).

The film features an ensemble cast that includes Timothy Hutton, Joely Richardson, Rainn Wilson, Kathryn Hahn, Michael Clarke Duncan, and introducing Rhiannon Leigh Wryn and Chris O'Neil as Emma and Noah.

(partial synopsis with possible spoilers)

Presented as a flashback, The Last Mimzy is the story of a distant future's attempt to avert a catastrophic ecological disaster that has destroyed their world. High tech devices, masquerading as toys, are sent back in time into the hands of Noah and Emma, two children who live with their parents Jo (Joely Richardson) and David (Timothy Hutton) in early 21st century Seattle.

The "toys" are mostly incomprehensible to Emma (Rhiannon Leigh Wryn) and Noah (Chris O'Neil), except for what appears to be a stuffed rabbit named Mimzy. Sensing the strangeness of the devices, the children initially keep their discovery a secret from their parents.

(My take on this movie)

I hope the movie makes more sense than the synopsis, because either it (the synopsis) was very badly written or the movie is such a mish-mash of concepts that I'd never make it all the way through the whole thing. I get the feeling the writers and director love to blend fantasy and science fiction the same way a young child would gleefully pour chocolate sauce into a glass of tomato juice just to see what it would taste like.

Yuck . . .

But, as I've stated before, one can't judge a movie by its Wikipedia synopsis any more than one can judge a book by its cover or a prom date by her mother. (Okay, so I made that last one up. So sue me.)

If anyone out there in the real world thinks I should watch this movie, read the book, and apologize to my prom date's mother, please reply. I'm a humble man who never lets pride get in the way of truth, justice, and the American way.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:11 pm; edited 7 times in total
Bongopete
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the story........saw this version .......prefered the book. The tacked on ecology message of the film and the purpose of the toys........goofy.

Read the story instead and let your own brain make the movie for you. You will be better served and enjoy it better.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember this one too well. I don't think I liked it a lot, but I didn't dislike it either. I'll have to watch it again, I reckon! Very Happy

___________________ The Last Mimzy - trailer

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bongopete wrote:
I read the story........saw this version .......prefered the book. The tacked on ecology message of the film and the purpose of the toys........goofy.

Read the story instead and let your own brain make the movie for you. You will be better served and enjoy it better.

Bongopete's sincere recommendation above for exercising one's brain is one of the many reasons I miss this valuable All Sci-Fi member .

He hasn't post since Dec 20, 2013!

But here's the tragic part . . .

Bongopete made 76 post on this "new" board the first week it was on-line after Randy Everett and I created it, fearing that we'd soon have to start all over again when the old web host crashed! The "old board" was still on line, but it was acting quirky, and the web host refused to give us the database. Shocked

This version of the board was opened for posting for just two weeks, and then "locked" by me and Randy Everett until March 2014, because we kept hoping that the failing web host we'd been using would let us have our database so we wouldn't loose seven years of posts!

When the old board final vanished from the internet, Randy and I opened up this one again, and I informed everyone by email that we'd have to start building up the New All Sci-Fi, which only had the posts that me, Randy, and a few other members had added during those first two weeks in December 2013. Sad

But after Bongopete made his heroic contributions during those two weeks in 2013 . . . he did NOT return to the New All Sci-Fi in March 2014, despite my frequent emails to all our members about the transition to our newly created version of the board.

If anybody on All Sci-Fi can contact Bongopete through some other website, please tell him how much he is missed. His email hasn't worked for years, and I fear that he's yet another of our members who has passed away. Sad

However, I still pray this isn't the case.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 9 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ During the 2012 Savannah Film Festival, Robert Shaye held a Q&A session after a screening of the film. During the Q&A, he stated that he was not a fan of the film's title. He and other producers came up with a new title, "The Gifted", but it was too late in the production process to change it.

Note from me: Frankly I agree that the title was a big mistake. The general public doesn't know or care what a "Mimzy" is, so they aren't likely to pony up the expensive price of a theater ticket to find out!

~ The giant cockroaches that cover the surveillance camera lens at 71:47 on the DVD are not Computer Generated. Director Robert Shaye mentions in the commentary that the production employed three "cockroach wranglers" to handle the insects.

Note from me: I hate cockroaches. I can't bear to touch 'em. They're creepier than snakes, lizards, snails, spiders, and ants. I swear to God. Shocked

~ When Noah first controls a spider at the beach house (at around 19 mins), director Robert Shaye mentions in the commentary that Visual Effects Supervisor Eric Durst "got hold of the special effects house in Australia that did all of the visual effects for Charlotte's Web (2006)

Note from me: I guess I'll have to watch this movie again to appreciate this scene. But I'll skip the cockroach part . . . Sad

Captain Starlight
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An entertaining movie that seems to have gone over the heads of the general public. It must be hard to work in Hollywood when the viewing public can't appreciate quality film-making when they see it.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try as I might I just couldn't get into this movie. I'm sure it was very clever, but I found it so boring and tedious.

Too many other good films to peruse, I don't think I'd try to get through it again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: