ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
It is on my "to watch" list, though its length makes it a bit difficult to schedule. I do suspect that it will seem a bit slow at times... but its influence has been huge, hasn't it?

To fully appreciate 2001, you have to consider the time when it was released. Visually it was mind-blowing. We had never before seen such realistic, ultra-detailed space hardware in a sci-fi movie. Now we routinely expect that level of realism in fictional spacecraft, and the "greeblied" look has become a cliché.

Custer wrote:
At the time it came out, with smoking in cinemas still normal, the cigarette smoke was, apparently, rather more aromatic than usual... no wonder the movie was called "the ultimate trip." That may well be the best way to experience it, though I don't think I'll do any experimenting that way!

I've never needed mind-altering substances to enjoy 2001, though it certainly has a reputation as a "head" film. Druggies were known to time their drugs to peak at the start of the psychedelic Star-Gate sequence.

Last edited by scotpens on Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
gofffan
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the film. The #1 sci-fi film of all time in my book. For me, the film plays as perfectly today as it did in 1968. I've been watching it on Netflix. It's a total package - designed to be a film experience by Kubrick. I don't find it dated.

But that's me.

Also, Kubrick didn't film his 'Cinerama' in 3 strip. Wasn't it 'Super 70 Panavision' or something like that? I saw it in Toronto on their Cinerama screen.

I had a friend at the time who saw it in Montreal at a premiere and she mentioned scenes of hypnotic graphics on the monolith that 'taught' the apes. I guess Kubrick made these quick cuts en masse. He had total control over the picture, so the studio couldn't say boo about anything he decided to do.
Randy
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer placed a tremendous amount of confidence in Stanley Kubrick and his vision, and during 1968 in support of the release there were more than one hundred 70mm reserved seat engagements throughout the world. It seems that practically any city with a Cinerama theatre played the film, and by the late 1960s, at its peak, there were more than 150 cities with at least one such venue. (With rare exception, post-1963 Cinerama was Cinerama in name-only. Post-"63 Cinerama is recognized to be single-strip 70mm, not the original 35mm/six-perf three-strip format.) Many other 70mm-equipped, non-Cinerama cinemas played the film in 1968, promoting the film in "regular" 70mm rather than Cinerama. "2001" was put into 35mm general release beginning in autumn 1968.

I was at the World Premier showing at the Uptown Theatre in Washington, D.C.

It was shown in 70 mm Cinerama format with 6 channel sound, according to the full color booklet that was given to each person who attended the premiere showing. During the first act (the apes), at least a hundred people got up and left the theater. There was a steady line of people in the aisles exiting the theater.

(edited after checking my old brochure)

Last edited by Randy on Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Gofffan is here.

Yes, only two fiction features were ever filmed in 3 strip Cinerama — The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm and How the West Was Won (wider pictures apparently called for wider titles). 2001, as was Ice Station Zebra and many other Cinerama films, were filmed in anamorphic 70mm.

I've never heard of the "hypnotic graphics on the monolith" you mention, but I wouldn't be surprised. I know a lot of other films have been re-edited a bit after early release.
gofffan
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from Wiki — a list of all Cinerama pics and what formats they used.

Oh, and if you've never seen it, a nice little 'Making Of' documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyuYXdDJ9ic

Last edited by gofffan on Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited my post after rechecking the original brochure. I thought that they were using the three projectors, but apparently not.
gofffan
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I ran into this, thought I'd post it. I've seen many behind the scene shots taken during the filming, but never this one:

Cool.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gofffan wrote:
This is from Wiki - a list of all Cinerama pics and what formats they used.

Custer of the West — Hmmm. Must have been a real hit at the box office.

WayneO
-----------
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gofffan wrote:
I had a friend at the time who saw it in Montreal at a premiere and she mentioned scenes of hypnotic graphics on the monolith that 'taught' the apes.

According to Jerome Agel's book The Making of Kubrick's 2001, a "hypnotic teaching effect" showing meat-eating apes was originally going to be superimposed on the monolith, but the idea was dropped and never filmed.

Then again, there are people who swear they've seen the lost spider pit sequence from the original King Kong.

Rocky Jones wrote:
2001, as was Ice Station Zebra and many other Cinerama films were filmed in anamorphic 70mm.

The 70mm film format is non-anamorphic. 35mm CinemaScope is anamorphic (the image is optically squeezed width-wise to fit a standard 35mm frame, then unsqueezed in projection).
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: 2001 Reply with quote

I remember seeing it in first run and was glad to see it in that format. As good as the 3 camera ones were there was always a problem with a clean overlap of images and color.

By the way, check out this Star Citizen "homage" to 2001 !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_JC-ClscY

Gord
The Star Pirate
gofffan
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gofffan wrote:
I had a friend at the time who saw it in Montreal at a premiere and she mentioned scenes of hypnotic graphics on the monolith that 'taught' the apes.

According to Jerome Agel's book The Making of Kubrick's 2001, a "hypnotic teaching effect" showing meat-eating apes was originally going to be superimposed on the monolith, but the idea was dropped and never filmed.

Then again, there are people who swear they've seen the lost spider pit sequence from the original King Kong.

The only reason I remember my friend's comment (back in'68 ) so clearly is that, having seen the film, I argued that there was no such scene. And I remember the argument.
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the "hypnotic teaching effect" was intended to be used with the transparent Monolith, and was dropped when the transparent Monolith didn't work out, and they decided to make the Monolith black.

David.
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
The 70mm film format is non-anamorphic. 35mm CinemaScope is anamorphic (the image is optically squeezed width-wise to fit a standard 35mm frame, then unsqueezed in projection).

I stand technically corrected. Super Panavision 70 apparently uses a "spherical" lens rather than an anamorphic one. I can't find anything that adequately communicates what the heck that means, but the consensus is that it's not really anamorphic. Surprisingly, there are still films being made using the process. As recently as 2012 the film The Master was shot in Super Panavision 70.

Ultra Panavision 70, used with some Cinerama films, did use an anamorphic lens, though.
gofffan
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
I thought that the "hypnotic teaching effect" was intended to be used with the transparent Monolith, and was dropped when the transparent Monolith didn't work out, and they decided to make the Monolith black.

David

The reason I remember the conversation so well (from 1968) is that I had just seen it and my friend told me - after seeing the premier in Montreal - about the hypnotic effect on the monolith and I argued and argued that that scene didn't exist and she was making it up.
Then Kubrick, apparently, did that massive cut.

Oh - and Kubrick at the opening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdKHuyhhyuM
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
By the way, check out this Star Citizen "homage" to 2001!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_JC-ClscY

Gord, that trailer is astounding! I love the design of the ship, and the music is excellent. I wish they'd make a full length feature film based on this. The ability to create CGI actors has almost reached the point where you can't tell if it's real or if it's Memorex!

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: