ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid comments, Mike!

However, in this case I think Kubrick did " . . . sacrifice sound science at the altar of dramatic storytelling."

That said, I think the scenes I described work well dramatically. Only a "science guy" like me would object to them.

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pod was parked so far out to protect the array, both from the pod, and the exhaust from the pod.

Kubrick purposely had the Astronauts unemotional, as he said the the real Astronauts appeared that way with their inflight actions. He Shows how upset Bowman was by having him forget his helmet. He was walking slow, because he was walking on velcro. He is also showing how precise the Astronauts were in an emergency by his deliberate actions.

I don't think the pod rammed Poole. When the pod turned, it was lowering ihe manipulator arms. I believe the pod pulled the airline out, that basted them both away from the Discovery.

In 1971, Gary Lockwood did the pilot "Earth II". He said that the Director had no interest in doing the pilot, and he was instructed to just act like he did in 2001, which he did. Laughing

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respectfully, sir, I disagree. Your defense of the scene has quite a few holes in it. Sad

Concerning the pod, why did the array need to be "protected" from the pod? The pods were designed to work in close proximity to the ship whenever a task could be done without the man leaving it. If the pods couldn't be allowed close to the ship, they'd be practically useless! Shocked

In the clip below you'll see that Poole is still moving towards the array, directly between the Discovery and the pod. But apparently the pod maneuver a little to one side before hitting Poole, because it knocked him past the ship, imparting the rapid spin to the pod, which also passed by the ship.

This is verified in the clip below, when Bowman's monitor shows Poole rush past the array, tumbling rapidly. If all the pod did was yank Poole's air hose loose, why did both the pod and Poole go tumbling off into space, spinning rapidly? (See the 1:40 mark.)

_________
2001: A Space Odyssey - Frank's Death (Movie Clip)

Concerning Bowman's unemotional behavior; are you seriously suggesting that Bowman was so upset (but didn't show it) that he completely forgot his astronaut training in an emergency and neglected to put his helmet on before doing an EVA? Shocked

Astronauts are trained to remain calm and pay attention to every detail. Their lives depend on it. And putting on a helmet is more than just a detail. Bowman almost lost his own life, and he wasn't able to do anything to help Poole — all because he forgot the helmet.

Allowing his emotions to suddenly cause him to make stupid mistakes is not what a trained astronaut would do.

David, I'll grant you that Bowmen couldn't dash into the pod bay because Kubrick had everybody supposedly walking on Velcro — which never made the ripping sound, of course, since that would have been annoying as hell. Laughing

I'll admit that a man trying to hurry while walking on Velcro would be unintentionally comical . . . but gee whiz, wouldn't this emergency situation be a real good time to just float quickly to the pod bay and rescue Poole?

However, weightlessness wasn't easy to portray in 1968, so let's just let that one pass . . . Rolling Eyes

Apparently it never occurred to Bowmen that, before he even left the flight deck, he should quickly ordered Hal to begin preparing the pod for the EVA. It would have saved precious seconds.

Here's another troubling thought. Confused

When he reached the pod bay he should have immediately put on the helmet so Hal could start pumping out the air. The pod is one big airlock, and the air must be evacuated whenever the pod bay doors are opened.

In the movie, Bowmen either waited for the air in the pod bay to be evacuated before taking the pod out . . . or he just opened the pod bay door and let the air explode outward.

That would have been entirely justified, since rescuing Poole as quickly as possible was a life-or-death situation. But if Bowmen had just opened the doors without de-pressuring the bay, we'd have seen a blast of ice crystals when the pod bay door opened. (I looked it up. According to this site, ice crystals do actually form during explosive decompression in a vacuum.)

However, we do NOT see this happen (see the clip at the 2:45 mark), so the pod bay must have been depressurized. That couldn't be done quickly, because the pod bay is huge!

But wait a minute! Why the hell was the pod bay pressurized when Bowman arrived? It should have been in vacuum, and one of the doors door still open. Shocked

After all, Franky Poole had just gone out for the EVA, and standard procedure would be to leave the pod bay depressurized and the door open, just because depressurizing it would be unnecessary until Poole had returned.

Furthermore, if an injured astronaut had be brought back remotely by the pod, the long depressurization procedure might be critical!

So, Bowmen should have realized that Hal was (at the very least) malfunctioning when the murderous computer closed the door and re-pressurized the bay while Poole was still outside.

Naturally Hal did this because he knew Poole wasn't coming back. Also, Hal wanted to delay Bowman's departure to insure that Poole would be dead when Bowmen finally caught up with him.

However, Hal didn't expect Bowman to forget his helmet. If Bowman had worn his helmet, he could have easily gotten back into the ship through emergency airlock.

So, what was Hal's plan if Bowman had been wearing his helmet? I suspect he would have waited until Bowman was pretty far from the ship, then Hal would have initiated a burn and left the two men behind! Sad

But why didn't Hal just do that anyway? Confused

I'm not sure. Perhaps he decided to save the fuel and let the helmet-less Bowman stay outside and die.

And yet when Hal saw Bowman attempting to enter the airlock without his helmet, he made no attempt to stop him, just in case Bowman somehow succeeded — which he did, of course. Hal could have thwarted Bowman by then firing the engines briefly and bumping the pod away from the ship.

In fact, I wonder why Hal didn't just take control of Bowman's pod and send him off into space? I suppose there was an override button — so we can let that idea go as well. Very Happy

Yessiree, I think this whole episode in 2001 is riddled with mistakes that Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clark should have corrected.

Krel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, the pod was parked away from the array to keep the pod's exhaust from affecting the array. I may have gotten that from the novel, it's been decades since I read it..

I also said that the pod pulled out the airline, and blasted away from the Discovery.

Interesting thought about the engines. I wonder how long it would take to start them up.

Hal had limited actions it could perform. It didn't take action against Bowman until he was out of the ship because it could control access to the ship.

The pod bay was re-pressurized after a pod exits, so the other Astronaut could get to another pod in an emergency. An inefficient design. The pods should have been in individual chambers to minimize air loss.

Personally, I think having the suits in the pod bay is a bad thing. If the bay is evacuated, then you aren't getting to the suits. Even the emergency suit is accessed by the pod bay. The suits should have been in the compartment behind the pod bay.

Speaking of the space suits, just who was the third blue suit for? For one of the passengers? There were three, so even with the emergency suit, they would still be short one. Unless the passenger suits were in storage. But then that still leaves the blue suit.

In the novel, Hal evacuated the air from the ship in an attempt to stop Bowman.

Zero-g was hard back then. Kubrick filmed all his zero-g scenes looking up at the actors to hide the wires. Now, they just CGI the wires out.

Supposedly Kubrick had the actors actually walking on Velcro. It certainly looked like the Stewardesses were, and having a bit of trouble maintaining their balance because of it. Laughing

David.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogmeister wrote:
And my God, when that bone gets thrown up in the air and you make that transformation into an orbiting . . .

The greatest jumpcut (more, time-cut) in the history of cinema. This was a jumpcut of about one million years.

More like three or four million years, if the man-ape creatures are meant to be Australopithecus afarensis (which is the human ancestor they most closely resemble).

(If we didn't nitpick, we wouldn't be geeks . . .)
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent reply, David! Better even than I expected! Very Happy

You acknowledged several of the errors I pointed out which the movie made, and you even added a few I thought of but didn't mention!

About the pod bay/big airlock: Yes, putting the suits inside the pod bay was really dumb! It looked great in the movie, but it's about as stupid as locking your keys in the car on purpose.
Rolling Eyes

David wrote:
As I said, the pod was parked away from the array to keep the pod's exhaust from affecting the array. I may have gotten that from the novel, it's been decades since I read it.

About the pods: Clark's description of the pods with thrusters which might harm the ship if they were too close is more logical than what the movie portrayed — those beautiful machines which seemed to move around by magic . . . with no exhaust from the array of nozzles on the sides. Rolling Eyes

Score one for your side, my friend. Very Happy

About the novel: I too read it years ago, and I remember that the monolith was a slab of transparent material which displayed educational images for the ape guys.

That would be snazzy, but the mysterious black slabs that projected new ideas into the simian's brain works well in the movie.

David wrote:
I also said that the pod pulled out the airline, and blasted away from the Discovery.

Forgive me, David, but that just doesn't fit the facts. Sad

How could Poole's body go zooming off into space, spinning around like a disco dancer, just because the pod snuck up on him and and stopped long enough to yank his air hose out — before it "blasted away from the Discovery"? Rolling Eyes

Please explain to us how Poole was suddenly propelled violent into space, traveling in the same direction as the spinning pod? And what caused the pod itself to be tumbling so violently if all it did was stop next to Poole long enough to snatch his hose out, and then "blast away from the Discovery?" Confused

I just can't picture your highly unrealistic description in view of the fact that Poole and the pod raced off into space in the same direction, spinning around like crazy! Shocked

David . . . please rethink your flawed description in view of the facts. Obviously the pod rushed towards Poole, slammed into him, and sent them both plummeting into the void! Shocked

In fact, the broken air hose was entirely unnecessary!

Poole was dead no matter what happened after the pod did it's hit-and-ran on him! Hal wasn't going to let Poole or Bowman back into the ship, even if they were both alive and well.

And while I'm requesting clarification on these matters, do you still think that a highly trained astronaut who was chosen for the most important space mission in the history of mankind would be dumb enough to climb into a pod and sail off into space . . . without his damn space helmet! Rolling Eyes

Frankly, David, that's the least logical statement you've made in this entire discussion.

Let's face it, this entire segment of 2001: A Space Odyssey is riddled with flaws. These screw ups tarnish the vaulted reputation of this classic movie. We can't just ignore such blatant illogic in a film which holds such high regard in the minds of science fiction enthusiast.

Krel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the confusion about what happened to Poole. The pod came up behind hm, gabs him and fires it engines at full thrust. The airline separation may have been deliberate, or it could have happened when the manipulator arms grabbed him. The pod then either released Poole, or he became dislodged when he struggled to escape and reconnect his airline.

Okay Bud. You don't like my reasoning for why Bowman forgot his helmet? Well here's the real reason why:

Stanley Kubrick wanted it that way!

Remember, when it is a choice between real, real and movie real. Movie real will win every time. Laughing

They actually made an eleven foot long, clear monolith for the movie. But Stanley Kubrick didn't like the way it looked. It was hard to light, and didn't photograph well. It still exists, but was engraved for a Royal event years ago.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I've heard the saying is, "Real life vs reel life"— but I get your point, sir. However, the "reel" way is not always the "right" way when it comes to good story telling.

Kubrick went to all that trouble to have Bowman and Poole act like actual astronauts . . . until Bowman pulled his colossal boner! Rolling Eyes

That was just bad story telling, any way you cut it. And there's nothing I hate worse. Sad

Krel wrote:
I don't understand the confusion about what happened to Poole.

The pod came up behind hm, gabs him, and fires its engines at full thrust. The airline separation may have been deliberate, or it could have happened when the manipulator arms grabbed him. The pod then either released Poole, or he became dislodged when he struggled to escape and reconnect his airline.

Please allow me to explain the confusion you've experienced. Very Happy

My reason for being convinced that the pod simply gathered speed and rammed poor Frank is based on the way the scene plays in the clip I included above.

We see the pod start forward, then we get a one-second shot of Hal's red eye, and then a one-second shot of Bowman's startled reaction to what he sees on his monitor.

The scene cuts immediately to the monitor, and Frank is shown flying past the array. Sad

I believe that this tight editing was intended to represent the brevity of the action taking place. Poor Frank was basically just a cosmic billiard ball . . . and the pod was the cue stick! Shocked

Ironic, ain't it? His name is Frank Poole. Coincidence? I wonder . . . (Just joshin'. Laughing)

So, there was really no time for the pod to do anything except collide with Frank and send him sailing away! My own confusion has been caused by the fact that you want the pod to do more in that brief moment than it possibly could have . . . or needed to!

Your version of the scene is that "the pod came up behind him, gabs him, and fires it engines at full thrust. The pod then either released Poole, or he became dislodged when he struggled to escape and reconnect his airline."

David, your description of the scene has the pod doing way to many things! Sad

First we'd see it (a) racing up behind Frank Poole, (b) then decelerating so it can grab him, (c) then breaking his air line (either on purpose or by accident), and then (d) releasing him while the pod "fires its engines at full thrust", and finally (e) releasing him! Shocked

My question is this: if Hal just wanted Poole to be pushed out into space, why go to all the trouble to decelerate, grab him, accelerate, and then let him go? Shocked

David, my "confusion about what happened to Poole" is that you want to turn a simple "hit and run" into an elaborate "assault and battery"!

Seriously, can you really imagine all that stuff happening in the few seconds Kubrick took to present the scene in the movie? Shocked

Frankly, I can't! The whole thing happened in about the time it would take a punch a guy in the nose! Sad

As I mentioned earlier, Hal would know that he only had to impart enough velocity to Frank to make it impossible for his weak suit thruster to decelerate and return him to the Discovery.

With all due respect, my friend, you've seriously "over-thought" this scene. Confused

However, to be fair to you, David, the pod could have simply aimed one "arm" at the exposed air line and knocked it loose at the moment the two collided. We do in fact see the pod extend both arms as it moved forward — thus explaining the detached air line.

~ On a related note, I've always thought that spacesuits should never have exposed hoses that can be pulled loose. They should be embedded in the fabric of the suit. NASA suits haven't had hoses that were exposed and attached to the helmets since Gemini! Very Happy

By the way, I'm sure Frank was calling for help on his radio, but Hal simply lied to Bowman and said there were no transmissions. However, I can imagine what Frank was probably saying.

"Bowman! Hal made the pod crash into me! We were right, that bastard is crazy! Come get me, please. And don't forget your freakin' helmet, dammit! Screw what Kubrick wants!" Mad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
With all due respect, my friend, you've seriously "over-thought" this scene. Confused

~ On a related note, I've always thought that spacesuits should never have exposed hoses that can be pulled loose. They should be embedded in the fabric of the suit. NASA suits haven't had hoses that were exposed and attached to the helmets since Gemini! Very Happy

You could very well be correct there Bud.

The Hammer Films movie "Moon Zero Two" had two different types of suits. A space suit with hard sections, and a moon suit for the surface. Both suits used the same type of life support pack that plugged into the back of the suit. So no hoses at all.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confession: While writing my post above I actually typed "NASA's suits have never had air tubes on the outside."

Then I thought, "Wait, Bud. Check your facts first."

So, I Googled images of Mercury suits. Oops, they had exterior tubes.

I Googled Gemini suits; they had tubes, too. I finally discovered that the Apollo lunar suits seemed to be "tubeless", but even then I wasn't entirely sure.

So, if somebody finds a definitive answer to the question, I'll be grateful.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, I have to agree with you in all your comments on the problems in 2001ASO as far as the depiction of technology.

But keep in mind....This movie was made over 50 years ago! From before the first Apollo Moon landing!

EVA protocals were not solidly established at the time and even designs for inter-planetary spaceships were not developed fully.

I was always surprised that Poole didn't even have a lifeline in use when checking out the AE-35 unit! Why did he even need to use the pod in the first place? Why didn't he just exit the Discovery and move back to the AE-35 unit along the hull like astronauts do in working on the ISS?

The "attitude" of the astronauts as very "non-emotional" was clearly established throughout the film. Just look at Pooles' reactions to his parents birthday message.

The problems you bring up are very real....BUT they are fueled by over 50 years of "reality" against 50 years of "movie reality". The issues WERE very much for forwarding the dramatic narrative .

HALs' actions were also very much in conflict between his programming and his need for survival. His actions in disabiling the sleeping astnonauts just enhanced his falling into a schitzofrenic phase where he was unable to act logicly. He could not react as you expressed because he was unable to "think clearly and logicly" and his every attempt to preserve his existance was in conflict with his original programming.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, sir. Very Happy

It was fortunate that TCM showed this movie a few days ago and followed it with 2010. In that sequel, Hal's breakdown was explained by the fact that the computer was instructed to withhold the true nature of the mission from astronauts — but since HAL's momma taught him never to lie, he went nuts. Sad

Here's how the Wikipedia article describes this aspect of the plot.

Aboard the Discovery, computer expert Dr. Chandra discovers the reason for HAL's malfunction: The National Security Council had ordered HAL to conceal from the Discovery's crew the fact that the mission was about the Monolith.

This conflicted with HAL's basic programming of open, accurate processing of information, causing him to suffer the computer equivalent of a paranoid mental breakdown. Although the order bears his signature, Floyd angrily denies any knowledge of the NSC's actions.

Director/screenwriter Peter Hyams worked closely with Arthur C. Clark on the screenplay, so this explanation has the support of Clark. I also read the Wikipedia synopsis of Clark's novel (2001) and learned that it does in fact explain Hal's malfunction in the same manner.

While doing so I noticed that the novel differs from the movie version of 2001 somewhat in the scene of Frank Poole's death. In the novel, the pod crushes him, instead of batting the poor man out of the ball park.

And Bowman doesn't leave the ship to recover the body. As a matter of fact, I found an interesting item about the novel which pertains to Gord's comment shown below.

Gord wrote:
I was always surprised that Poole didn't even have a lifeline in use when checking out the AE-35 unit!

The Wikipedia article devoted to HAL specifically includes this.

Wikipedia wrote:
After Frank is killed while attempting to repair the communications antenna, he is pulled away into deep space using the safety tether which is still attached to both the pod and Frank Poole's spacesuit.

Obviously Gord is dead right about the importance of safety tethers, although the movie does seem to show Frank using a suit thruster to navigate between the pod and the communications array. And with the pod parked a country mile from the ship, the tether would sure have to be long! Shocked

So, if his suit had thrusters, and if he could rely on HAL to rescue him with the pod if his thruster failed, I guess maybe a tether wouldn't be quite as important. (But I'd want one anyway. Rolling Eyes)
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:

I was always surprised that Poole didn't even have a lifeline in use when checking out the AE-35 unit! Why did he even need to use the pod in the first place? Why didn't he just exit the Discovery and move back to the AE-35 unit along the hull like astronauts do in working on the ISS?

The "attitude" of the astronauts as very "non-emotional" was clearly established throughout the film. Just look at Pooles' reactions to his parents birthday message.

They wanted to do a safety line, but they couldn't figure out how to realistically depict one in zero-gee.

Crawling the hundreds of feet along the Discovery over its varied contours would not have been as safe as using a space pod, and would definitely have needed a safety line.

As I recall, HAL cut the message short because it was affecting Poole's mental state.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Crawling the hundreds of feet along the Discovery over its varied contours would not have been as safe as using a space pod, and would definitely have needed a safety line.

Indeed yes, that would be risky!

Using the pod to get to the array (and having the pod close by while he's working, if we assuming HAL was sane) would be safer than using his suit thruster to travel that long distance.

Plus, if the thruster gave out, he could be in real trouble without a tether, even if he was just few inches beyond "arms length" from something to grab!
Shocked

Krel wrote:
As I recall, HAL cut the [birthday] message short because it was affecting Poole's mental state.

Well, actually . . . just the reverse.

That scene is often cited in reviews as the film's way of showing us that even the heart-felt message from Frank's parents on his birthday didn't manage to elicit a trace of emotion from him! Confused

Watch the clip and I think you'll agree.

___________________ 2001 Frank's Parents

I also found the fascinating video below which presents a full reading of an "early draft" of the script! Shocked

Listen to the part which describes Poole's death. It's significantly different from the movie.

Frank starts out inside the pod — which is positioned right next to Discovery, not a hundred feet away — using the pod's arms to replace the electronic unit. But he has trouble getting it loose, and so he goes out to do it with his tools.

The scene is at the 1:25:00 mark.

Take note of the dialog between the characters just before Frank is killed. It makes them sound like jovial pals, not the cold "partners" from the movie! ("I guess you don't know your own strength, old buddy.") Laughing

It also mentions that Frank's suit does have thrusters.

I was especially surprised by the fact that the pod (controlled by HAL) not only smashes into Frank and "sends him hurtle off into space", it also smashes the antennae array — which is consistent with HAL's actions in the novel, since he wants to cut off communications with Earth after the authorities there recommend shutting HAL down.

2001: A Space Odyssey - Full Movie Script Reading. Stanley Kubrick + Arthur C Clarke (Early Draft)

Krel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how the memory works. I've seen the movie many times, including just last year. But when I think of the birthday message seen, for some reason I remember HAL cutting off the message before it ends.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: