ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Flash (CW 2014)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: The Flash (CW 2014) Reply with quote

In season 2 of The Flash the Scarlet Speedster, our Flash, will be joined by the Crimson Comet, the Flash of Earth 2!

Teddy Sears as Jay Garrick.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mercury helmet is accurate based on the Flash comic books of that era,but rather goofy looking.

Jacket is cool looking but the lightning bolt should be yellow & not just blend in with the jacket.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see him moving around wearing that hat, which does indeed look like the original Earth-2 Flash version.

They could put a light on the front of the helmet to help him see in dark places - but that would just be a miner detail...

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that deserves a looooooooooooooong groan,sir.
No matter what Earth its from.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I'm just glad you saw what I did there... Wink
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
They could put a light on the front of the helmet to help him see in dark places - but that would just be a miner detail...

I almost missed this rib-tickling pun. Laughing

I've yet to watch a single episode of this show. I'm saving it for my old age.

What a second . . . it's time NOW!
Sad
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm now a fan of The Flash, officially.

I received the first three disc of season 1 from Netflix, and I'm halfway through the second disc. This is a great show.

One thing I have to mention . . . is the uniform. On the promotional material, it is awesome!

The comic book version has a rather large white circle on the chest . . . but it's not a solid object stuck to his uniform, like the uniform in the series.

That big honkin' disk on his chest was a very bad idea. They really should have consider something less gaudy. Like this, maybe?

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:03 am; edited 3 times in total
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The emblems make no difference to me at all. What I think is worthy of concern is all the bulging seams and the very textural fabric. Anything that can move more than 300 mph needs to be a smooth as absolutely possible to minimize friction. I have the same problem with the fabric used for the costumes of the current movie Superman and his feminine cousin. That stuff is even more textural and would certainly cause considerable friction at extreme speeds. They need costumes as aerodynamic as the surface of fighter jet.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Jones wrote:
The emblems make no difference to me at all . . . They need costumes as aerodynamic as the surface of fighter jet.

Okay, let's address the aerodynamics rather than the aesthetic appeal — although if a guy is a superhero running around (literally) in a red leather outfit suitable for Evel Knievel and using a flamboyant name like "The Flash", he obviously puts a high priority on his public image.

Superheros are vain. Why else would they wear capes, for God's sake! Shocked

On a positive note, the show is to be praised for making Barry Allen a very lean fellow, the way artist Carmine Infantino drew him in the old days. One thing I hated about the previous TV series was the way they cast a big muscular fellow in the lead — and then padded his suit — and then placed shading on the fabric to accent the muscles!

That . . . was so wrong. The Flash is a sprinter, not weight lifter!

However, from an aerodynamic standpoint, the biggest "wind dam" (as engineers call it) in the new costume is that hockey-puck sized clunker stuck to his chest. It's not only flat and located right in the best place for blocking the wind, it sticks out about a half-inch — which is much further than all those seams you mentioned.

I realize that they wanted to get away from the bright red spandex, but it seems to me they changed some of the good things, and retained too many of the not-so-good things.

As you mentioned, a slick fabric would be more aerodynamic, so maybe they shouldn't have changed that part.

The yellow boots and the lightning bolt pin-stripping — those actually might be best consigned to fond memories from our boyhood days. That was a good change.

But those little lightning bolts on his boots . . . and his ears!

Those they kept? Pa — leease!
Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:06 am; edited 4 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the ear-pieces can be excused as part of the way Barry keeps in touch by radio with his support crew, but certainly a more streamlined, less wind-resistant costume, without the clunky disc on his chest, would be better.

I've finished watching the first season now, which ends on a bit of a cliff-hanger. I had known that one main character was liable to die, after reading elsewhere that someone was suggesting the actor would be good in another series, as his Flash commitment was over, but the manner of his departure was handled quite well. It does lead to all sorts of time travel ramifications of course... if you alter the timestream like that, did events started by a character who now no longer has existed still play out the way we saw them...? We've already seen that 2025 newspaper front page getting changed by 2015 actions, and then changing back when things got sorted out.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
I suppose the ear-pieces can be excused as part of the way Barry keeps in touch by radio with his support crew . . .

Right. Those antennae that stick out of our smart phones are vital to clear reception.

Oh, wait. Phones don't have antennae now. That was the '90s.

As for the death of a main character, I was shocked when they killed off one of them in the last episode on disc three!.

But what you said about time travel reminded me that Barry hopes to prevent the death of his mother with time travel, and if he does that, he'll probably polish off the killer of both mom and the character who was murdered in the episode I just finished.

Then both dead characters will be un-murdered!

God, ya gotta love science fiction stories! The viewer/reader can ask himself, "I wonder who might die in this story?" — and then he can ask himself, "I wonder who they might bring back?"

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the death of a main character, I was shocked when they killed off one of them in the last episode on disc three!

I suppose that was episode 15, "Out of Time" - and we do have a little time travel reversing after that, as you may have already discovered! Wink

Presumably even the latest mobile phone do have some sort of aerial, either as part of the case itself or inside - it is possible that enough wire could be woven into his costume to provide reception, but he does need to be pretty adept at receiving radio messages, especially if he's able to outrun them...
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
Presumably even the latest mobile phone do have some sort of aerial, either as part of the case itself or inside.

Well, that's sort of the point, isn't it? Aerials that stick out are SO last century now. And besides, if he does need antennae, I'd rather they just look like antenna instead of lightning bolts!

In others words, instead of this —

— I'd rather see this.

Perhaps Mr. Jones will render an opinion on which of those two different ear pieces is more aerodynamic. Wink

And while we're talkin' make-overs, somebody with better image-altering tools than I have took a shot at showing us what the costume would look like with a more traditional color! If this guy is going to insist on running around the streets at night, he really should wear brighter colors, right? Shocked

I must say, I kinda like it. We can't really call him the Scarlet Speedster in that muted red outfit, can we?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:14 am; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this show just keeps getting better and better.

In Tricksters we get to see Mark Hamill, who did the voice of the Joker in the Batman animated series, play the Trickster, a very Joker-like villain.

And if that ain't cool enough, the Trickster reveals a secret to his protege'. He's the Trickster's son. Folks, you haven't lived until you've seen Mark Hamill as a bad guy saying those four famous words to his disbelieving offspring.

"I . . . am your father!"

And then in "All Star Team Up", the very next episode, I watched the young man who plays Ray — aka The Atom — fly down out of the sky while three of the characters look up with puzzled expressions and say;

"It's a bird."

"It's a plane."

"Actually . . . it's my boyfriend, Ray."

When I first saw Ray I thought he looked really familiar, and I wondered if he was related to Christopher Reeve. I looked up who play him, and discovered that it was . . . Brandon Routh.

God, I love irony!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
And while we're talkin' make-overs, somebody with better image-altering tools than I have took a shot at showing us what the costume would look like with a more traditional color!

I must say, I kinda like it. We can't really call him the Scarlet Speedster in that muted red outfit, can we?

The lower image is the Scarlet Speedster. The upper is the Crimson Comet.

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: