ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Flash (CW 2014)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
The lower image is the Scarlet Speedster. The upper is the Crimson Comet.

Hmmm. I might accept the Burgundy Blur. Or the Dark Red Dasher. Or perhaps the Deep Red Rusher.

But "crimson"? Nope. Too dark for crimson.

On a semi-related note, imagine how surprised I was last night when I watched a bonus feature on the disc that had the "Trickster" episode and learned that Mark Hamill had also portrayed the same infamous villain in the 1990 series — playing opposite John Wesley Shipp as the Flash, who plays Barry Allen's father in the current series!

Yes, I know, everybody but me already knows this, but I love the fact that in the "Trickster" episode, Mark Hamill tells his evil son "I am your father", while John Wesley Shipp could have said the same thing to Barry Allen . . . and meant it in two ways!

God, I love irony!!!
Laughing

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Mark Hamill saying Darth Vader's line was fun - and bringing him back as The Trickster, as seen before in the previous tv Flash series, was nice. I loved his Joker tones in the Batman Animated series, for sure - we may not have actually seen him, but really he's the definitive Mister J! Also from the original tv series we have Tina McGee - the same character, just about, played by the same actress, Amanda Pays.

Hmm, a scarlet costume would be suitably flashy. .. or how about "Maroon Meanderer" instead of Scarlet Speedster? If his earpieces are aerials, having them straight seems a bit low-key on the design front... after all, his symbol is a "flash" of lightning, not just a straight line...

The "Atom" character, Ray Palmer, in the Arrow series has been good. I too was thinking that he was very much channelling the Christopher Reeve Clark Kent, so noticing the actor's name, Brandon Routh, who took over the role for Superman Returns, was quite a moment. Smile
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
orzel-w wrote:
The lower image is the Scarlet Speedster. The upper is the Crimson Comet.

Hmmm. I might accept the Burgundy Blur. Or the Dark Red Dasher. Or perhaps the Deep Red Rusher.

But "crimson"? Nope. Too dark for crimson.

I'll have to defer to my wife on color identification. Being male, I can vouch for properly naming only 12 basic colors (plus black, white, and around 30% gray) with any degree of accuracy. Sad

My excuse for playing carelessly with crimson is that I used to watch the Crimson Ghost serials on TV back when they were all b/w. It looked like it would translate to about the right shade.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
If his earpieces are aerials, having them straight seems a bit low-key on the design front... after all, his symbol is a "flash" of lightning, not just a straight line.

I would suggest that the lightning bolt on that manhole cover he lugs around on his chest does a sufficient job of presenting The Flash's symbol.

And wearing the iconic symbol on his ears seems to be unique to The Flash — thank goodness! I'm glad Superman didn't do this!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:25 am; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WayneO
-----------
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
The "Atom" character, Ray Palmer, in the Arrow series has been good... Brandon Routh...

That character has been my fav trivia question from these series'. As best as I know Mr. Routh is the first actor to play live action versions of two different members of the Justice League.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Jones wrote:
As best as I know Mr. Routh is the first actor to play live action versions of two different members of the Justice League.

Interesting observation, Mr. Jones! I guess the closest thing to that would be John Wesley Shipp, who played Flash in the 1990 series, and now plays Barry Allen's father in the current show.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, (the current) Barry Allen's father isn't a superhero, though he is a recurring cast member. It's certainly more than Kirk Alyn and Noel Neill having cameo appearances as Lois Lane's father and mother in the 1978 Superman (the) movie...
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
... It's certainly more than Kirk Alyn and Noel Neill having cameo appearances as Lois Lane's father and mother in the 1978 Superman (the) movie ...

In a cut scene!
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that scene does get into the extended tv version, apparently - a shame it's "pan and scan" and not particularly high quality, video-wise... Sad
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to The Flash, I've finally started on season two - and boy was there a great moment in the second episode, when Barry teams up with the Flash of Earth-2. The classic, definitive cover from the comic that first teamed them up was this:

And so this bit from the tv show just pays homage to it so beautifully it brought a delighted shiver of recognition:

I had to bleach the screen-grab out a bit as the warehouse was a bit dark, but it was certainly a "Wow" moment!
Very Happy
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same photo, color enhanced:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/AwtTVBU.jpgnal[/img]
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supergirl and The Flash Crossover to Air This March on CBS

http://www.tvovermind.com/the-flash/supergirl-and-the-flash-crossover-to-air-this-march-on-cbs?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=supergirl-and-the-flash-crossover-to-air-this-march-on-cbs

(Another article at the Supergirl thread.)

Speaking of cross-overs now that we're having visitors from "Earth - 2" will we see this version of Green Lantern?

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Flash and the Girl of Steel will join forces in a Supergirl episode that is slated to air on Monday, March 28.

I thought she was the Maid of Might? But it's good to see the DC shows joining up like this, even though it seems that the TV heroes will not be linked to the movie ones, in the way Marvel does - so probably a different actor as Flash when the Justice League hit the big screen.

Earth-2 is the golden age DC heroes, yes, but those guys have been in action in modern times too, you don't really need to go all the way back to early issues of Comic Cavalcade - though that sort of golden age cover is always fun to see. Here's a slightly more recent Alex Ross cover:

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beautiful work on art, Custer. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: