ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Classic Monsters Vs Modern Monsters
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Uh . . . David? It was joke. Rolling Eyes

I understand that, but your photo got me thinking about zombie lumberjacks and the damage they could do.

David.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally went to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary to see how they defined zombies. Here's what they have to say:

Quote:
a : the supernatural power that according to voodoo belief may enter into and reanimate a dead body
b : a will-less and speechless human in the West Indies capable only of automatic movement who is held to have died and been supernaturally reanimated

So if, strictly speaking, magic or the supernatural must be involved to produce a zombie, that pretty much eliminates any movies or TV shows from George Romero's to the present. The modern "undead" (which term technically would include vampires) seem to all be products of some virus or other unspecified infection.

WayneO
-----------
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess the victims in THE BRAIN EATERS, THE PUPPET MASTERS, I MARRIED A MONSTER, and IT CONQUERED THE WORLD would be considered zombies, as would the icky folk of OMEGA MAN/I AM LEGEND. Geez, thats a lot of zombies. I didn't know that I was such a zombophile until I found this thread.

orzel-w wrote:

... The modern "undead" (which term technically would include vampires) seem to all be products of some virus or other unspecified infection.
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day.

- M. Python

Bud Brewster wrote:
Oh, I misunderstood! I thought "lumbering" meant they walked slowly! I didn't realize it meant they were "undead" lumberjacks!
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received the latest issue of Skeptic Magazine, and guess what this issue contains. Rather than wait for your responses, I'll come right out and spill the beans.

In the back of each issue is a section called "Junior Skeptic", containing articles of interest to younger readers (and apparently sci-fi fans of any age). This issue's topic: "Zombies! The Gruesome True Story". I haven't read through the article yet, but it appears to be a comprehensive survey of the history of zombie lore, starting all the way back in ancient Greece.

(Are you hanging out on this website, Daniel Loxton?)
Smile

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: