ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Real Genius (1985)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Real Genius (1985) Reply with quote

One of my favorite comedies! A thinking man's rib tickler with a nice hard science element in the plot.

The young cast is cute enough to adopt, and the cocky villain (William Atherton) is the teacher from your worst nightmares, an intelligence vampire who holds the diplomas of the smart guys hostage so he can suck all the good ideas out of their fertile brains.

The big Popcorn Payback the kids inflict on him at the end is a hoot. And if you're wondering how long it took the film crew to pop up enough for that scene, the answer is (drum roll, please . . . ) — three months.

IMDB trivia says, "The film was inspired and based loosely on actual events at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, California."

I'd love to know more about this "inspiration". Just how much stranger than fiction is the truth in this case, hmmmm? Shocked

On the ironic side of weird-and-wonderful is this other IMDB item. "The math professor portrayed in the movie is played by Dr. Martin Gundersen, who is actually a physics professor at the University of Southern California."

By gum, now that is authenticity.

And finally there's this trivia item that made me smile for personal reasons.

IMDB: "When Chris Knight wakes and cuts the CO2 chips for the vending machine, he is wearing Heckel and Jeckel slippers. They were 2 magpies that played endless tricks and practical jokes on those who interfered with any of their schemes."

My two crafty and resourceful heroes in The Wishbone Express are known by the nicknames Heckle and Jeckel in both that book and its sequel (which I'm working on and posting chapters here on All Sci-Fi) a novel called Sail the Sea of Stars.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:28 am; edited 7 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Wikipedia:

Quote:
Heckle and Jeckle are postwar animated cartoon characters created by Paul Terry, originally produced at his own Terrytoons animation studio and released through 20th Century Fox. The characters are a pair of identical anthropomorphic magpies who calmly outwit their foes in the manner of Bugs Bunny, while maintaining an aggressively mischievous streak reminiscent of the early Woody Woodpecker or Screwy Squirrel. Unlike Bugs Bunny, who retaliates against a foe only after repeated provocation, their comic aggression is often unprovoked, and in a number of Heckle and Jeckle cartoons (Moose on the Loose, Free Enterprise, The Power of Thought, Hula Hula Land) their foes win in the end. According to Leonard Maltin's Of Mice and Magic: A History of American Animated Cartoons (1980) and Don Markstein's Toonopedia, Paul Terry considered the Heckle and Jeckle series the best cartoons his studio ever made.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has a trivia item that certainly raises my appreciation for the scene in which the house is wrecked by the pressure of expanding popcorn!

The "Popcorn Trick" sequence began with the construction of a full-sized Victorian frame house on a plot in Sand Canyon, California, not far from Los Angeles. Within the house, special effects coordinator Phil Cory and his crew devised an elaborate network of conveyor belts, hydraulic lifts, air blowers and vacuum hoses which would, on cue, turn 190,000 pounds of popcorn into a hot buttered tornado, blowing out the windows, doors and roof of the structure.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A funny movie like this one should have funny (and interesting) trivia items.

It does. Very Happy

When Laslo Hollyfeld (Jon Gries) sends in a large number of entries to the Frito-Lay contest, he is mirroring the actions of Caltech students Steve Klein, Dave Novikoff and Barry Megdal, who, in 1974, used a similar strategy to win a McDonald's sweepstakes. Their entries came to roughly 1/5th of the total entries and won them a station wagon, $3,000 cash and $1,500 in food gift certificates.

Note from me: I wonder how long it took those guys to eat $1,500 worth of McDonald's food! :shock,:

"The 'dress code' at Tech varies from casual to sloppy", David Marvit, who portrays a student in the hall, told a filmmaker at one point. Marvit said: "When you've got so much else on your mind, you can't be concerned with appearance." One of the films costumers, touring the Cal Tech campus, put it her own way: "Good Heavens!", she exclaimed, "Do these people all dress in the dark?".

Note from me: Ah-ha! So THAT'S why I wear an All Sci-Fi T-shirt every day! I'm a genius! Very Happy

According to The '80s Movie Rewind website, "in a trailer for the film there are several scenes not appearing in the final cut, among them one where Val Kilmer's character is floating outside a dorm window sitting in a deckchair carried by helium balloons".

Note from me: The scene described above is at the 20 second mark.

] ________________ Real Genius (1985) trailer

One of the fellow "Geeks" seen at the pool party and named , Milton, was played by Dean Devlin. He is now the producer for large films such as Independence Day.

Note from me: The next time I watch this movie I'll certainly keep my eye out for Mr. Devlin!

In the scene where the military is set-up for the laser test fire, the cars in the procession on the dirt road are set up to replicate the JFK assassination.

Note from me: I've heard promos for TV specials that allegedly reveal "recently declassified documents".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: