ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Trek Discovery - new series (CBS All Access 2017)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing is for sure.....That's a good looking ship!

bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link of who is who and what is what on Star Trek Discovery:

sample
...Discovery will follow characters aboard two ships, the U.S.S. Shenzhou, captained by Philippa Georgiou (Michelle Yeoh), and the U.S.S. Discovery, led by Gabriel Lorca (Jason Isaacs). Michael Burnham--(Sonequa Martin-Green)-- a human raised since childhood as the ward of the Vulcan, Sarek -- is the series protagonist, a real first for Trek, as the tale will be told through the eyes of someone who is not the captain. Add into the mix, the Klingons, who serve as the antagonists, but will not necessarily be demonized.....

LINK
http://www.startrek.com/article/a-discovery-premiere-primer
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me low-tech, folks, but I've yet to figure out how "CBS All Access" works. How am I supposed to watch this series on my TV?

Why don't they just air the damn show on CBS?

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because then you won't subscribe to CBS-ALL ACESS.

It's called MARKETING 101
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buyer's Guide To Streaming "Star Trek: Discovery" On A Budget

I just finished episode one of Star Trek Discovery. I liked it but did not love it. If you sign up for CBS All-Access, that means you can watch Discovery on your PC, tablet, etc.

Read this article on how to get the stream to your TV.

LINK for full story:
https://trekmovie.com/2017/08/26/buyers-guide-to-start-streaming-star-trek-discovery-on-a-budget/
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too saw the first episode and liked it, but like BDT didn't love it.

I just watched the second episode and ....I loved it!!!!!!

I won't spoil it for you, but the first episode is prologue and set-up for the rest of the story....which was EXCELLENT! At the end was a preview for the rest of the season and it looked good.

My one comment would be that it seemed very "Kelvin" in content ,tone and appearance. It seemed to be the "Enterprise" version done Kelvin style.

From a review on Yahoo:

Quote:
The show is dark, to be sure. It's also action-packed. It has the slick aesthetics of the movies. What this show does very well is marrying the Abrams-verse look with the essence of a Star Trek television show. It's not the Trek we're used to, but expecting it to be the same show it was three decades ago is not realistic. They threaded a very difficult needle -- making this show relevant to our current times (which the franchise has always done) while also giving it the feel of Star Trek. And it excels at that.

Is it perfect? Definitely not -- but no Star Trek is, and trying to hold this show to those expectations is unfair, to say the least. Plotting and dialogue are uneven. Additionally, the decision to treat the two episodes separately, rather than making it a two-hour pilot, is baffling. It's one complete story that sets up the rest of the show, and the second half is the stronger of the two. Presumably, CBS only wanted to give non-subscribers access to half of it. But they shouldn't just be milking an existing fan base for cash; this has the potential to bring in new viewers as well.

Star Trek: Discovery is too good to be hidden behind that kind of paywall. This is a show that deserves to unfold over years and be widely seen. It's got some growing up to do, and I'm eager to see it happen. I just hope it gets the chance.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting variation on the . The bridge of the USS Shenzhou is on the BOTTOM of the saucer section instead of on the top.

Last edited by Gord Green on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 am; edited 2 times in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 in 2018?
Screen Rant

Star Trek: Discovery has finally launched its long anticipated first season after several well publicized production delays, but the show's producers are suggesting it might also be a long wait for season 2.

Discovery is a prequel that chronicles a war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire through the eyes of Commander Michael Burnham, the former first officer of the USS Shenzhou who unwittingly had a hand in the escalation of the conflict. The first 15-episode season is being split in two, with the first half wrapping up in November and the second half beginning in January 2018.

While CBS is understandably waiting to see how the first season performs before making any sort of commitment to a followup, season 2' is already on producer Alex Kurtzman's mind. In an interview with THR, Kurtzman acknowledges a potential second season likely wouldn't happen until the early side of 2019. Despite the hypothetical nature of a far off season 2, Kurtzman says it's already on the minds of him and his fellow producers........

For full story, click this link:
http://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-season-2-release-date-2019/
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
An interesting variation. The bridge is on the BOTTOM of the saucer section instead of on the top.

When he did the designs for the unmade George Pal "War of the Worlds" TV series, Matt Jefferies reused the Lief Erickson design, but moved the conning tower bridge to the underside. Maybe a nod to him?

Great sets, production design. It continues the fad of making all the images dark and difficult to see. If you have all those windows, then why would you have shields that can cover them on demand when needed?

I actually found the show pretty to look at, but boring, and I feel no desire to see any further episodes, much less pay to see them.

Although, I did like the prey race bridge officer. Makes you wonder why he chose to join an exploration service. Laughing

In the TOS, in Kirk's time the Federation had only known of the Klingons for 75 years. Also there had been no Female Captains of Star Fleet vessels up to Kirk's time.

So, is this the J.J. universe, or yet another one?

David.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to watch episode 2 at a friend's house and CBS made a big mistake by not showing both parts as a two-hour movie on free TV. Part 2 concludes the story line and is better than part 1.

I do not like what CBS did to the Klingons but maybe it is just me. Does anyone prefer the Klingons this way? Also, the story line is more like JJ Abrams than The Original Series. I wonder if the series will continue to be so dark?

My favorite scene was Sonequa Martin-Green as Michael Burnham is in the brig and reasons with the computer to release her so she will not die in the brig. She is very Vulcan-like. Making Sonequa Martin-Green as Michael Burnham the lead in the series was a great idea, although I would like to see more males take action in a crisis.

It looks like Michael will now serve on the Discovery.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldogtrekker wrote:
I was able to watch episode 2 at a friend's house and CBS made a big mistake by not showing both parts as a two-hour movie on free TV. Part 2 concludes the story line and is better than part 1.

I might have like it if they'd done that. My experience with the first episode was similar to Krels: the show was dark (lighting wise) and uninvolving.

The pacing never slowed down long enough to develop the characters (a big mistake for a first episode), as if the producers where making a show for an audience with a short attention span.

And it seemed like there were hardly any men in the cast! Maybe I'm mistaken. But like Krel, I'm not tempted to watch it again and find out
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure a lot of people will have been put off by only getting the first half of the introductory story "for free," with its big cliff-hanger. Should the network's naked greed be encouraged?

And, while the completed story was decent enough, it doesn't really reflect what is to come - does it? We had a captain, a bridge crew, and a ship, nicely introduced, but at the end... we don't. And we'd not even seen the (male) captain who has been touted as the main character.

So, not exactly as viewer-friendly as The Orville...
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
I'm sure a lot of people will have been put off by only getting the first half of the introductory story "for free," with its big cliff-hanger.

It's CBS's version of ransomware.

I'm content to wait for release on DVD from Netflix. If I die before then, well...

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course those of us with the PUTLOCKER connection can keep up with the series. An hour or so after it is broadcast it's on Putlocker for free.

The third episode is online now.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review: Third Episode of "Star Trek: Discovery" Introduces A Mysterious Ship And Its Misfit Crew
Anthony Pascale, TrekMovie

REVIEW: "Context Is for Kings"
Star Trek: Discovery Season 1, Episode 3 -- Debuted Sunday October 1st
Written by Gretchen J. Berg & Aaron Harberts & Craig Sweeny, story Bryan Fuller & Gretchen J. Berg & Aaron Harberts
Directed by Akiva Goldsman

note the tribble on the desk

The third episode of Star Trek: Discovery effectively delivered a more traditional Star Trek pilot. Many of the main characters -- along with their various foibles -- are deftly introduced along with the primary ship for the show, the USS Discovery itself. While much of the episode is dedicated to in exposition, which is typical of a pilot, "Context Is for Kings" offered up some intriguing character and plot mysteries that will hopefully pay off later in the season.

With just a few light moments, the tone of the show continues to take itself a bit too seriously. The problems with pacing and stilted dialog that troubled the premiere were not as evidenced in episode three. And there were also plenty of moments of delight and Trek references and details to require a second viewing for easter egg hunting. Now that the show has started more properly, Discovery feels more Star Trek and the desire to see more only grows stronger.........(BDT emphasis)

Spoilers at the link:
https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/01/review-third-episode-of-star-trek-discovery-introduces-a-mysterious-ship-and-its-misfit-crew/

One more comment about something odd: ....we learn that (they) are experimenting with a "new way to fly" using "mycelium spores." As we suspected, the USS Discovery is literally mushroom-powered. Sure that's a bit strange, but it's Star Trek which is full of quirky science and this is certainly a new angle.

Although the reaction cube where someone can connect with the "Mycelial Network" to travel anywhere had a bit of a Dune feeling so perhaps in Discovery, "the spice mushrooms must flow."

It also adds an interesting dimension to this ship as it is a sort of secret weapon and possibly one that isn't entirely ethical. (BDT-this is slightly similar to the Voyager episode The Equinox)

The This show clearly wants to play in the grey areas with the characters and the USS Discovery is no exception. And in case you didn't get the point, Lorca makes it explicit when he notes to Burnham that "Context"is for kings -- when determining the morality of their actions. All in all, the USS Discovery is really coming into bloom.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: