ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) Reply with quote

I really hated this movie. I have absolutely nothing good to say about. It was a tragic waste of time, money, and talent.

If you disagree, I'd love to debate it with you.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bongopete
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, we can debate.

I am not saying that I love it or anything, matter of fact there are several things I really don't like...but I did like the movie.

It seeps the usual Spielberg treacle whenever family life or children are up on screen, but is often almost poetic in places. One of the few movies I have seen in which Robin Williams plays some part where I actually felt he fitted in (not that that is saying much mind you).
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailer actually makes the movie look interesting, but I still haven't managed to warm up to it. Sad

However, the robot that serves as my housekeeper says I'm a lowbrow clodhopper and I don't appreciate fine film making. Rolling Eyes

____________ A.I. Artificial Intelligence - trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The saga of a robot, built in the year . . . wait one moment. Didn't I type this before? Shocked

Yes, yes . . . for my post on Bicentennial Man (1999). Yes, the robot which yearns to be human.

Hmmm, yes, not a very original thought by this time. Spielberg rushed out this concept based on plans which Stanley Kubrick made before he died. Kubrick would have taken at least a couple of years longer and it would have showed.

Right as the film's narration begins, we're rushed into an explanation of how the icecaps have melted in the near future, flooding all coastal cities (shades of Waterworld). The resulting displacement of huge amounts of people caused some birth control measures, thereby jumpstarting a robot industry (usually referred to as 'mechas' here).

I guess it makes some sense, so far.

What follows is another variation on Spielberg's fascination with fairy tales — in this case a reworking of Pinnochio (which is spelled out more than once during the film, ad nauseum).

There aren't many subtleties present; instead of gradually working in the premise, Spielberg has the scientist played by William Hurt clumsily spell it out in the beginning — let's build a robot who can love.

Gee whiz, really? OK, let's. And let's make it a boy robot (Haley Joel Osment), because maybe — uh oh — the scientist has some personal stake in this deceptively high-end concept to advance the scope of human knowledge and science.

The film's strong points are its ambition. The future landscape presented here also reminded me a bit of Blade Runner (1982) — a fantastical, alien and truly futuristic feel (except for the tacky future cars on rural roads and a suburban pool straight out of the eighties).

It's uneven, even though all the big city visuals and scenes with the mechas succeed. But this is the 3rd film I've mentioned so far that A.I. reminded me of, which points to a weakness — it's definitely derivative — probably because it was rushed, as mentioned.

And though the story is surprisingly hard-edged and even adult for the most part, Spielberg reverts to a very saccharine climax which is intended, it seems, for science fiction fans in the 7-year-old age group.
'
Heavy and deep concepts having to do with the nature of being human (and of the supposedly special nature of humanity) are brushed over rather than tackled, in favor of the fairy tale aspect.

What the hell was Hurt really intending or planning in the end? We'll never know — probably because the filmmakers didn't either. As we do know, this was a Kubrick project, one which he was unable to work on, not something that Spielberg put together as his personal vision like his other films.

I didn't mind the sudden new time era in the final 15 minutes since at least it was a genuine surprise and innovative by today's standards. But the last minute was a bit of a cheat — nowhere to go but the big sleep. Picture Spielberg tucking in the audience after feeling guilty for traumatizing them.

BoG's Score: 6.5 out of 10

___

A.I. Trivia: Robin Williams, who starred in the similar Bicentennial Man (99), provides his voice for one scene with a holographic info machine.

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to FX wizard Stan Winston, the three-foot tall teddy bear in A.I. was more sophisticated than the T~Rex & velociraptors from Jurassic Park.

Teddy had fifty servo motors---half were required to simulate the bear's facial expressions.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating, Pow!

I guess that means that if the Teddy Bear was the same size as the T-Rex . . . the Teddy Bear could kick the dino's ass! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The analytical Mr. Andrew Bogdan's post above offers different objections to this movie than my own. As usual, his were based on the cinematic flaws he felt had marred the movie.

My own complaints are more in the nature of a bad reaction to the depiction of such a technologically advanced but morally deficient future society.

In short, it bummed me out emotionally. Sad

I realize that this was the whole point of the movie, but that didn't make it very satisfying to watch. And the concept of a dehumanized future has been done ten times more often than the more optimistic kind — so often, in fact, that we've come to expect the future to suck, instead of believing in the more Star Trekian kind.

I don't really want films whose message is, "Give up. It's useless." Sad

I prefer films with a message like, "Here's what it could be! Make it happen!" Very Happy

Captain Starlight
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't care much for this movie either. The message seemed to be that people would progressive loose their souls, and machines would eventually reinvent them. And we were suppose to pay to money so see this? Nope, I think I'll pass.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had hoped that this movie would be EPIC! What with Stanley Kubrick (Who has NEVER made a bad film!) and Spielbergs' involvement it should have been a slam dunk masterpiece!

Unfortunately it fell more into Spielbergs' maudlin tropes! I'm glad I watched it...There were moments I enjoyed... but the result was like eating a big bowl of sugar!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: