ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Splice (2009)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Splice (2009) Reply with quote

This is one very ambitious science fiction story, with a concept that's a little creepy and a non-human main character who's even creepier.

She goes from conception to birth to childhood in fairly short order, and we know from the look of her that she's going to be trouble, right here in River City. I admire the way they made her appealing and bizarre, both at the same time.

She goes from her attractive-and-almost-human stage back into a weird stage — and she keeps getting weirder right up the bitter end.

This a "pure science" sci-fi story, but it stretches its concept to the limit. Or maybe just little too far, towards end. It never gets dull . . . but it often gets a bit kinky.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're still waiting to be convinced that this movie is worth watching, perhaps this trailer will help.

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Brundledren! Reply with quote

Brundledren!

Splice is a tricky picture to evaluate, for its ideas are superb. One could argue that it brings a new petri dish full of meddling scientists facing the consequences of their actions, while conversely it justifiably feels like a Cronenberg knock-off.

Psychological discord is in abundance, with its slants on skew-whiff parenting giving the pic a dark fascination, and as unpleasant as the male fantasy angle is, it does hold a morbid interest factor.

Yet come the final third the makers let things run away from them, the bonkers dangers of tampering with science giving way to daft schlock, even managing to be distasteful in the process - while the finale is a weak attempt at a "TBC" cliff hanger.

Lead cast members are turning in good perfs. Adrien Brody and Sarah Polley as the meddling science couple hold court well, and Delphine Chaneac as the Chimera splicer of the piece really nails all the various emotional strands required for a tricky role.

Director Vincenzo Natali has shown with Cube and Cypher he has something to offer the horror/sci-fi splinters of film, but this is a mixed bag. A film of great ideas let down by overheating the plot for shock values, while the levity inserted into the play is misguided and damaging for dramatic worth. 6/10

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 20 trivia items for this movie. Here's a few of the ones I found the most interesting. Very Happy

Those really are Delphine Chanéac's eyes in her performance as adult Dren. The space between her eyes was digitally widened to create this odd effect.

Note from me: What a wild idea. And the alteration is very effective. The "girl" looks both lovely and creepy.

Special effects designers Howard Berger and Greg Nicotero developed 11 different versions of Dren for the film.

Note from me: The movie does indeed convince us that Dren went through plenty of physical changes.

The main scientist characters, Clive and Elsa, are named as an homage to Bride of Frankenstein (1935), a similarly themed movie. Colin Clive played Dr. Henry Frankenstein while Elsa Lanchester played Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley/The Bride.

Note from me: Nice homage to the classics in a movie about creating life with science experiments.

To help with her posture as adult Dren, Delphine Chanéac performed in high heels.

Note from me: One of the physical features of the creature that I like is the three-jointed legs and the "high heeled" feet. I'm a "leg man", especially in high heels. . . even when they're on strange creatures! Very Happy

The highest grossing English-language Canadian film of 2010.

Note from me: Ummm . . . isn't that a little saying "that guy is the tallest midget in Providence, Rhode Island?" Rolling Eyes

Vincenzo Natali's hair turned grey through the filming, apparently because it was such a gruelling shoot.

Note from me: Wait, that can actually happen? Really?

Jeez, I had a rough marriage that lasted twenty-five years, and I taught school for sixteen! I'm seventy years old next August. But my sideburns have a few gray hairs . . . and that's it. And there's no bald spot or a receding hairline!

Oh well. I guess some of us are just lucky. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: