ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Limitless (2015)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My objection comes from my police and medical training and personal experience. Any drug that powerful has a diminishing return, the more it is used the less a person gets from it. To be effective doses increase until they become toxic. Having gone through seven years of withdrawal symptoms from the prescription drugs I grew up on I am rather unfond of unfounded drug use.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about the unfortunate experiences which have colored your emotions concerning this show. I know you can't help the feelings you have about the subject of medication and it's side effects.

Many of the drugs my doctor has suggested I take for things like high cholesterol and diabetic nerve pain have side effects I'm just not willing to endure. And every time I see some cheery commercial for a supposedly wonderful drug, I hear the long and frightening list of side effects and I wonder how the patients ever manage to survive the cures their doctors are prescribing for their other ailments!

So, I'll concede that the miracle drug called NZT on Limitless has about as much chance of ever becoming a reality as things like warp drive and transporters! Very Happy

If the viewer can get past that aspect of the concept, the show is really good. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun May 29, 2022 1:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pye-Rate wrote:
Any drug that powerful has a diminishing return, the more it is used the less a person gets from it.

Maybe that's the actual source of the title, Limitless (and the real fiction). NZT's effects don't diminish with continued use. And here all along we thought it described the mental capabilities of the person using the drug!

WayneO
-----------
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know that NZT does have serious side effects, including premature ageing, hallucinations, and death, unless the subject is given a special "booster shot" that, for a time at least, negates those. It's handy that the effects of the pill last for exactly twelve hours - though I suppose that's just due to the size of the dose, and the pill-maker carefully calculated how much NZT to put in the pill to make it so. Many drugs do have a diminishing return, true, but I guess we can cut the creative people here a bit of slack. Or do we have to take larger and larger doses of aspirin, or whatever, each time a new headache strikes...?
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Limitless (2015) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Jennifer Carpenter as FBI Agent Rebecca Harris is convincing, and I'm sort of glad they didn't cast one of those insanely beautiful women that seem to comprise 51% of Hollywood's population these days.

Saying that Jennifer Carpenter isn't insanely beautiful is enough to make the lady feel sad...

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes me sad is the fact that CBS cancelled this series. I loved it. Crap . . . . Sad

Be forewarned: this article is very poorly written.

Fans Win Petition, Netflix Gives Cancelled Show A Chance? Cast Announced Their Comeback

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun May 29, 2022 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here we are in April of 2018, and there's still been no "comeback" for Limitless . . . dammit.

Happily, Netflix does stream the entire season now for those of us fortunate enough to have Netflix (and I feel sorry for those poor souls who don't), but I still mourn the loss of all the seasons of this great series we never got to watch! Shocked

Why does it seem like most of the intelligent people in the world are either on this side of the screen with folks like us, or right behind the camera with the people who make these shows?

Meanwhile, the people further back from the creative process — like the ones in the corporate offices who make the life-or-die decisions for shows like this one — don't seem to have the brains needed to tie their own shoes without the help of a Boy Scout! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun May 29, 2022 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the show, but I feel that it had a big hurdle to overcome, in that, at it's core, the show was about a drug addict. I think that a lot of people are bothered by that.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addiction is an interesting concept.

We are addicted to oxygen....we're addicted to water and we're addicted to carbohydrates and protein.

Further, we are addicted to insulin, epinephedrine and a host of other chemicals in order to survive.

A chemical that truly enhances ones abilities could be viewed as a necessary component of life.....

Or am I just getting paranoid????

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American Society of Addiction Medicine defines "addiction" in this way.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response.

The key phrases here are "inability to consistently abstain" and "impairment of behavioral control".

Brian Finch does not crave NZT and have to struggle against an inability to abstain from taking it. And it certainly does NOT impair his behavioral control! In fact, it enhances his intelligence so much that (ironically) his normal intelligence level is much closer to a state of intoxication than his boosted intelligence using NZT!

Look at this way, David. If I take the type 2 diabetes medication my doctor has prescribed, I'm less likely to slip into a diabetic comma and die. And when my blood sugar climbs to unsafe levels because of something I ate, I have to take extra amounts to bring it back down.

If I don't, my elevated blood sugar makes me feel sluggish, achy, depressed, and groggy.

So, does that mean I'm "addicted" to diabetes medication? Of course not. My body just needs the chemical modification to maintain optimum health.

If your still not convinced that NZT is just an effective way to optimize a person's cognitive abilities above and beyond what we've previously been capable of, consider this.

It I eat meals on a regular basis, I'm healthy, energetic, and reasonably intelligent. If I don't eat, I'll become confused, weak, and in pain. Eventually I'll die.

Does that mean I'm addicted to food?

I rest my case.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun May 29, 2022 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter (All Sci-Fi member Ticket2theMoon) has watched this entire series with me during her bi-annual visits to North Carolina, and she loves it as much as I do. Very Happy

Here's two trailers for it. Watch it on Netflix, folks.

____________________ Limitless Trailer (HD)

______________ LIMITLESS Season 1 TRAILER

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's good news for fans of Limitless! We might get a second season are all! Here's the text and the images from a recent article about revival of his great series!

Limitless Season 2 Release Date, Cast, Trailer And Is It Happening Or Is It Just A Rumour?

After the Limitless movie was released in 2011, the film’s lead, Bradley Cooper, decided to develop a television series with Craig Sweeny. Limitless season 2 has a lot of expectations ! The first film follows the journey of Brian Finch, who is an average twenty-eight-year-old and is a struggling musician. Then, out of the blue, he is made to consume a stimulant called NZT-48 and has no idea its effect.

After consuming this drug, he gains the ability to use his brain’s full capabilities but for only twelve hours. He is hired as the consultant by the FBI after clearing his name in the murder of his best friend. He joins Special Agent Rebecca Harris and Agent Spelman Boyle to solve the impossible cases.

Season 1 of the television series premiered on 22 September 2015. The series with 22 episodes ended on 26 April 2016. It aired on the CBS network for the entirety of its first season. The series has an IMDb rating of 7.7 with an Emmy nomination for Paul Leonard-Morgan for Outstanding Music Composition for a Series in 2016.

When Is The Release Date Of Limitless season 2?

There is sad news about the series. Unfortunately, there will not be a second season of Limitless. The show had a strong start, with many critics praising and strong ratings. However, as the series progressed, the numbers also dipped.

The network decided not to pick it up for a new season while ending it in a cliffhanger, which the series developer Craig Sweeny confirmed via Twitter.

Is Limitless Season 2 Canceled Or Renewed?

Limitless was canceled after the season finale aired in 2016. However, the fans still have hopes for the news of season 2.

Will There Be A Season 3 of Limitless?

There is no confirmation for a third season of Limitless as the tv series was canceled after season 1 by the CBS network.

Despite the fans liking the show, Limitless season 3 seems like a distant dream as the show was not renewed for season 2. It seemed to the network that the show pretty much concluded naturally in the season 1 finale.

What To Know Before Watching Limitless season 2?

The series is a sequel to a movie of the same name. Set after four years after the movie’s events, the series follows Brian Finch, a struggling musician who consumes the NZT drug, a mysterious drug that gives him access to every neuron in his brain. It is a miracle drug that stimulates every part of the human brain, making the person who consumes it the smartest person in the universe.

He thinks of it as a stimulant given by his fellow band member Eli Whitford. While wanting to know more about the drug, he has more questions and returns to Eli for answers but finds him murdered. This starts his journey as an FBI analyst, majorly, to clear his name as a suspect in Eli’s murder.

Brian ends up working with FBI Special Agent Rebecca Harris and Agent Spelman Boyle. He achieves great success in catching the criminals and becomes very famous with his powers. The FBI, however, uncovers his powers and learns that he has no side effects like Edward “Eddie” Morra had in the movie. So the agency hires him as a full-time analyst, especially to get to know his secret.

Does Edward Eddie Morra Play Any Role In Limitless Season 1?

To the surprise of many, Senator Eddie Morra plays an important role in Brian’s life. It was him who gave the drugs out, and it is he who has also given the immunity shot to Brian so that the drugs would not act against him. Brian now has to work with Edward to survive. For Senator Edward Morra, Brian is a pawn who has to keep him updated about what the FBI is doing and how much knowledge they have about the NZT drug.

After taking the drugs, Edward Morra became so influential that he decided to run for the Senate with two allies by his side, Jarrod Sands and Piper Baird. However, both start targeting each other, and the battle starts.

What Happens At The End Of Limitless Season 1?

Jarrod tricks Piper and captures her, and the code of the immunity shot and assembles his organization called the Legion of Whom. With the shot under Jarrod’s belt, Brian faces the new problem of not having access. He must work out the way as time is no longer his friend.

Trying to rescue Piper, Brain tracks down the location of the Legion, only to find Jarrod in her place. Soon a skirmish breaks out in which Rebecca shoots Jarrod, and most likely, he is dead. After the showdown, Rebecca drives Brian to his house, and upon entering, he finds Piper waiting for him with the real antidote. However, she changed the antidote to prevent getting it into Jarrod’s hands.

Piper has also figured out how to stop the side effects permanently. With the current shot, Brian will become immune and achieve the peak of his powers. The show ends with the question of what will happen next.

What To Expect In Limitless Season 2?

Limitless Season 2 can pick up the threads which it left loose. The possible upcoming season can make up scenarios for Brian, which will have him face the worst enemies he can ever face. Eddie Morra can become influential due to his seemingly successful campaign for Senate. If he wins, it will ensure a lot of enemies, especially political enemies who might not appreciate Brian’s work.

There are also questions about Jarrod. Even though Rebecca shot him, he still can appear. There is no confirmation regarding his death.

If there is any season 2, the audience would likely see the return of their favorite Agents, Rebecca Harris, and Spelman Boyle. The trio formed quite a group, with Rebecca and Brian becoming close.

However, there is less focus on NZT drugs as Brian has become fully immune to the negative effects. In addition, the drug is no longer available due to Eddie having the supplies, and this storyline can run out its course.

Who Is In The Cast of Limitless season 2?

There is no season 2 of Limitless. However, if by God’s mercy there will be any, it will have the same cast as season 1.

The movie’s tv adaptation follows a burnt-out musician, and Brian Finch, played by Jake McDorman in the lead role with Jennifer Carpenter portraying the FBI agent Rebecca Harris. The duo is joined by the ensemble of Hill Harper, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Bradley Cooper, Analeigh Tipton,

Blair Brown recur as Marie Finch, Brian’s Mother, Megan Guinan as Rachel Finch, Brian’s sister, and Ron Rifkin as Dennis Finch, Brian’s father.

The cast is supported by Tom Degnan, Michael James Shaw, Colin Salmon, Desmond Harrington, and Georgina Haig. Michael Devine and Henry Gagliardi also star.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: