ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost in Space (2018 TV series on Netflix)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maureen will impress you more and more as the series progresses.

John is a flawed person who needs to make up for bad decisions and win back the love and respect of his family. That will take all of season 1 and probably most of season 2.

Penny and Judy are wonderful. They rock!

You think Dr. Smith is creepy? Trust me, you ain't see nuthin' yet! Shocked

You didn't mention the robot. It's amazing.

If your not blown away by the season finale', you're a tough man to impress. Cool

mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Judy and Penny are the best characters on the show.

John is a tough one. He is a very Hollywood stereotypical character at the point I am in the show. I see ways he can break away from that and grow. He has potential.

Will is getting better, but still has a ways to go. The relationship between him and the robot will be important going forward. It could make the show great or ruin it.

Maureen, I'm sorry, she is a VERY unlikable person. It will take a lot to redeem her in my mind.

The Robot. The jury is still out. I don't like the design of it,
but that is a minor point.

The chariot kicks ass! Its the only hardware on the show that
I love.

I'll probably get through another few episodes tonight. Everything I read says keep watching, they keep getting better. So I will.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting thing about Will is that he keeps ramping up the drama by doing dumb things that cause problems because his so young and naive. I keep wanting to shout at the TV, "Wise up, you little brat! You're being an idiot!"

Maureen has obviously been written as the Alpha Female (so to speak), the real leader of the group. She's strong enough and smart enough to handle the job. I'm glad the actress isn't "movie star beautiful", because it makes her character (smart, tough, driven, determined) more believable.

I'm not that crazy about the chariot design (the Martian rovers are more to my liking), but the robot is very cool. I've never liked the one from the old show, despite the fact that was designed by the same brilliant man who designed Robby.

The way the robot transforms into combat mode is awesome. We see that happen in a really spectacular fashion late in the season.

My boundless admiration for the series didn't ramp up to full force in the first few episodes, it grew slowly and steadily with each episode, and by the last one I was gazing at the TV with an open mouth and wide eyes that didn't blink.

I hope the series is so popular and successful that Netflix will be falling all over themselves to make the second season.

mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched episode 5.

A bit of a step in the wrong direction.

Maureen. She is stupid. She can't take orders or see beyond her own wants and desires.
She WANTS to be the Alpha, but is incapable of knowing what
it means to be a leader.

Going off by herself, not telling anyone what she is doing.
going up in a balloon to a very high altitude. Again, without help or letting anyone know what she is doing.
How does she control the balloons path? The winds aloft would carry her miles away.

And for what? Too look at the sun? Why? If a singularity/black hole was a binary with the local sun it would be VERY obvious. They would orbit around a point between them, causing the sun to wobble. That would have been detectable from ground observations.

Here's the deal, Maureen is smart and capable, but VERY stupid. She is a huge danger to the family And she is selfish.
She has unrealistic views of her abilities and the universe.
She is almost as flawed as Dr. Smith.
If this were real life instead of a TV show she would not last long. The universe, especially space, does not suffer fools.

Will. He is getting better.

John. Still a caricature, But there are flashes of depth...

The girls, Still the strongest characters.

Dr. Smith, she sends shivers up my spine...

Don West is the Han Solo of the show. The scallawag who is basically good.

The rest of the colonist, Just background players at this time.

One last thing. How does the carnivore get into the camp undetected? Everyone was in a circle around the light?

But I'm ready to watch episode 6.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mach7 wrote:
Quote:
One last thing. How does the carnivore get into the camp undetected? Everyone was in a circle around the light?

Dr. Smith turned off the circle of defense shields as she went out looking for the robot (The lights turned from red to green as I recall)

As for Maureen and the balloon---As I understood it something about the planet prevented her devices from properly operating on the surface (A further reason why they could not contact the mothership.).She had to rise above the magnetic disruption. Also it appeared she had steering jets on her backpack which could have made her trip back a little more possible. Still---It's certainly a stretch!

Dr. Smith is so terrifingly devious! She is the case-book model of the sociopathic psychopath! She doesn't see her actions as evil and she's willing to manipulate anyone for her own purposes. She's a "friendly"smiling cobra just ready to bite.

Don West comes accross as the most likeable of the crew, although both girls are great.

I think the writers wanted to reverse the role models of John and Maureen ,making her the more dominant of the two.

All and all I'm eager to see season two as the last episode really set up the "Lost in Space" concept.

mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Smith did turn off the defense perimeter, but the beacon was still ringed by colonist, someone should have seen the beast and sounded the alarm.

I'm no astronomer, but I'm thinking the suns wobble would be naked eye visible. And the steering jets could not have countered strong winds.

I have no problem with strong female leaders (ask my wife!), But they need to be smart and not reckless.
Capt. Garrett of "Yesterdays Enterprise" is a good example of a strong female leader.

One other point.

Why are there no weapons? That is just crazy!
We are going to a new planet to colonize and we will
just be completely defenseless. Um, WHAT!

Also, there are big dinosaur like creatures wandering around. Why does everyone think its ok to "go for a walk" with nothing to protect themselves with!

Anyway,

I just watched episode 6. Thats more like it!
An enjoyable episode.

Should I be worried about posting spoilers? The ending was, well, interesting. I expect all will be better in a while.

on a different note, Methane as fuel. Thats an interesting choice.

I'm off to watch episode 7.
mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finished the season.

Overall its not bad. Not perfect, but MUCH improved over the
1st 2 episodes.

How long will we have to wait for season 2?

It's not been a bad season for Science Fiction on TV.

I was not expecting much from both LIS and The Orville.
I've been pleasantly surprised by both.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mach7 wrote:
How long will we have to wait for season 2?

Digital Spy has a brief article about the show which includes this sad bit of news.

Filming on the first season took around seven months and then there's post-production, including the impressive CG work, which adds another few months. At best, we could expect to see a second season towards the end of 2019 or, more likely, April 2020.

mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that just sucks!

We now have to wait at least a year for the next season.

Thanks for the info Bud.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised when I learned that Netflix wouldn't be releasing the DVD set of Stranger Things season 2 until later this year, even though it's been on Netflix since October 27 of 2017!

None the less, there are scads of black market versions for sale, even on Amazon! One of the Amazon customers had this to say about the set.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bootleg! Don't buy!

By Rynnon April 24, 2018

No one should buy this. It is a bootleg and not the official season 2 physical release.

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a review of Lost in Space in The Times recently, as part of a regular column on TV by Hugo Rifkind. I'm not convinced he's watched all the episodes, but it's an interesting perspective:

Over on Netflix we have the expensive reboot of Lost in Space. Stranded on an alien world that looks a lot like the North American countryside (as, happily, alien worlds so often do), the Robinson family must adapt to survive, sort of in the manner of The Island with Bear Grylls, but fictional and with a robot.

Modern twists include the way that the mission commander is now the the mum (Molly Parker), which is a welcome update from the original, in which she was mainly only allowed to garden, simper and tell people to calm down. The evil Doctor Smith (Parker Posey) is also now female and in my view not nearly peevish enough. The biggest twist of all, though, is the way that the robot is now an alien, of the sort responsible for making the colonists crash in North America in the first place. Fortunately, he also has a decidedly useful patio heater function, which prevents them all from freezing to death at the end of episode one.

This is all well enough done, but I’m afraid it may not be quite interesting enough for anybody who isn’t already a mad fan of the genre, and probably a bit too vanilla even for anybody over the age of 12 who is. For a family-friendly sci-fi to stay gripping, you need ineffable mystery (Star Trek, Star Wars), or lip gloss and slinky catsuits that are tight around the bum (Buck Rogers in the 25th Century). Or better still, both (Battlestar Galactica). LiS, at least so far, has precious little of either.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My satellite system does not offer NetFlix at this time. If you (like me) are unable o see this series then go to Uncle Odies's Collectibles at

http://www.uncleodiescollectibles.com/

and

http://www.uncleodiescollectibles.com/html_lib/lis-netflix/index.html

to see lots of pictures!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, Butch . . . what satellite system does NOT offer Netflix! My advice to you is to get a new satellite system! Shocked

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My satellite sytem (DirecTV) is being up-graded. Currently NetFlix™ is an extra service costing $100.00 each month. With the up-grade it is part of the regular service and is in 4K clarity as well. PLUS for an extra $30.00 I get 3-D capability as well!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch, I think you've been misinformed. Sad

I Googled the question, "Does DirecTV offer Netflix?", and all the answers were "no". They used to offer it , but now they don't.

However, DISH does offer it on their new Hopper DVR, according to the article at the link below.

Netflix is now available on Dish's second-generation Hopper DVR, both companies announced today. With the news, Dish is claiming itself to be the first major US pay-TV provider to give Netflix a home on its set-top box. The streaming service has arranged similar deals with international cable providers, but reaching an integration pact with Dish definitely represents significant progress here in the United States.

Furthermore, you can get Netflix through devices like your Blu-Ray player (which is how I get it) or even with a simple ROKU device. And you won't need to pay any more per month than I do — which is $15.99 for unlimited streaming and three DVDs at one time!

Streaming 3D movies, however, is going to require a 3D TV and several modifications to your Netflix plan. I couldn't find out the exact cost, but it was not described as being expensive.

But the good news, Butch, is that since you now have the facts straight, you can get Netflix easily, inexpensively, and with none of that unnecessary waiting you described! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: