ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: I love it! Reply with quote

Finally bought the Blu-ray last week and knocked up a review >

Resetting the day.

Edge of Tomorrow is directed by Doug Liman and collectively written by Christopher McQuarrie, Jez Butterworth and John-Henry Butterworth. It stars Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt, with music by Christophe Beck and cinematography by Dion Beebe.

It has proved to be a great decade for sci-f, it seems that for every misfire there are three great genre films to off set the disappointments. Sitting at the top end of the table is Edge of Tomorrow (AKA: Live Die Repeat). Adapted from Hiroshi Sakurazaka's novel "All You Need Is Kill", the story has Cruise as William Cage, an American army Major who upon being thrust into combat against an alien race decimating Earth, finds he awakens to the same day after being killed in action. Seeking out Rita (Blunt), the most decorated soldier of the time, Cage must understand what is happening to him and hopefully save the future of mankind.

So far so Groundhog Day/Source Code then, but Liman's film never lets up from the get go, frenetic with its action, funny into the bargain, and also sexy, it manages to blend audience pleasing conventions with clever thought and process. There's nothing new in the philosophy on show, and there are regular sci-fi tropes for familiarity of genre, but if you are going to recycle formula then do it with verve and swagger, which this most assuredly does. Boosted by Cruise turning in a good one as an unlikable character who develops into a protag to shout for, and Blunt as a super sexy bad-ass poster girl for the war effort, Edge of Tomorrow ultimately rocks. The science will obviously infuriate those who take such things way too seriously, but as the terror of this particular war unfolds on screen (nifty effects), and we have been bought wholesale into our heroes and their quest, its small failings are hardly worth cocking a snook at. 8/10

Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

____________ Edge of Tomorrow - Official Trailer

Incomplete broadcasts at the start reveal that Earth had been invaded recently by an alien threat - the invasion seems confined to Europe, initiated by a meteor strike in Germany. The military general in charge is played by Brendan Gleeson. Tom Cruise stars as a spokesman for the military; he makes his living by appearing on these TV shows and explaining the latest military strategy, mostly about the new battle suits which turn normal soldiers into super soldiers.

Emily Blunt is a soldier who gained fame recently by being the most effective fighter in killing the aliens. Cruise's character, Cage, though in military uniform with the rank of Major, has no actual combat experience and is more than content to sit through this war far away from the enemy lines.

But things do not go as planned for him. In a meeting with the general in London, Cage is ordered to the front lines so that he can do his selling based on firsthand observation of the latest battle plan and invasion of France. Cage balks, even stating that he's not really a soldier and that, being an officer of the USA, he is not under the Brit general's command. But, steps have been taken to accommodate this; Cruise then makes his biggest mistake — an attempt at blackmail.

Cage then compounds his error by trying to run; he gets tasered and wakes up on a mound of military gear bags, handcuffed, stripped of his rank and labeled a deserter, on a base preparing for the assault against the aliens.

He meets his commanding sergeant (Bill Paxton) and his squad, most of whom look down on him with contempt. Cage, rightfully so, feels that his lack of training and experience will make him an early casualty, but it's even worse than that; the invasion on a beach is a disaster for the humans — the aliens appear to have been expecting the attack and everyone falls quickly.

The aliens — called "Mimics" — seem non-humanoid, like no lifeform on Earth, but they fluctuate in shape and their rapid movement makes it difficult to make out distinguishing features. They're bluish-black in color and seemingly composed of a mass of tentacles and a beastly lizard-like face.

Cage gets lucky and kills a large "Alpha Mimic", but he's killed by the alien's acidic blood.

Here's where it gets very bizarre. Cage suddenly wakes up back on that mound of military bags, as if the past day never happened. His first thought probably is that it was some weird dream, but he again meets his sergeant and the squad, and it's now obvious to him that events are repeating.

Famous previous examples of this premise are Groundhog Day and 12:01 (both 1993), featuring a character repeating a day. But those were comedies while this is an intense sci-fi thriller — not that it doesn't have moments of dark humor.

Though Cage knows what will happen by the time he drops on that beach again, he dies again just as quickly — this time trying to save another soldier. The repeats continue — he runs into the famous Rita (Blunt), the best soldier in this fracas, and after a few more repeats, she realizes that he is what she used to be — she had also been repeating this day (explaining how she became the best soldier), but she lost the ability after a blood transfusion.

It turns out that the aliens are the ones who have the ability to turn back time a day's worth; it's these large Alpha Mimics which facilitate this, and that's why they knew of the invasion.

But when Cage killed one and got its blood in his system, he took over the time jump back — it now resets each time he's killed. The goal now is to get to the alien brain and destroy it, but no matter how many times Cage repeats, he and Rita are unable to get off that beach alive. Even when they finally succeed, they still get killed a ways down the road.

At one point, weary of this repetition, Cage opts to leave the base before the battle (he had a lot of time to figure out how) and goes to London to simply relax . . . but the aliens invade London and kill him anyway!

The story takes the concept of gallows humor to a new level. In order for the plan to kill the alien brain to succeed, Cage has to keep dying. But if he gets injured and has a blood transfusion, he will lose the ability to go back a day. Therefore, he would no longer have foreknowledge of events at a certain point and his next death will be permanent.

So, to assure that their plan is to work, Rita takes care to execute him when he gets injured, even during training exercises.

The repetition can be maddening even — to the audience — and there is one aspect of this the film was unable to explore. Cage, after all, dies violently and usually painfully each time, and he obviously retains the memory of each death.

At a certain point, after a certain number of deaths, it must begin to affect him psychologically, or until he gets numb to the whole deal. The film does show how he evolves from novice soldier to ultra-experienced combat veteran — this is well done.

The battle suits are what was expected to be a key in Starship Troopers (97) — the original Heinlein novel had such suits and there were similar suits in the novel The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

The finale lapses into the standard frenetic action of all big action films these days, but director Doug Liman does a great job otherwise, much like he did on The Bourne Identity (2002), but on a larger scale. Cruise, Blunt, and all the actors give above average performances.

BoG's Score: 8.5 out of 10

______________ Edge Of Tomorrow Featurette

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Note from me: I've often wondered if just dropping the bombs about a mile offshore of Tokyo would have had the same effect on the Japanese leaders as destroying the two cities did. Sort of a "warning shot across the bow."

I think there was an element of doubt if the bombs would even work, so if it just went into the ocean as a failure nothing would have been accomplished, except a big splash. Better to chance it on land, my guess.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they hadn't work all, the two bombs would have just crashed into buildings and been just as useless as a splash in the ocean.

But if they DID work, a demonstration located a mile off the coast of Tokyo might have had the same chilling effect on the Japanese people . . . without killing 190,000 in Hiroshima and 70,00 in Nagasaki.

I looked up info on the bombs and learned that the bomb that destroy Hiroshima actually detonated 1,800 feet above the ground. A bomb exploding one mile (5,280 feet) from Tokyo and 1,800 feet above the ocean would have had a terrifying effect on the population.

President Harry S. Truman could then announce to the world that if Japan didn't surrender, bombs would be dropped on Japanese cities.

I think it would have worked . . . but we'll never know, will we? Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even after the two bombs there was some reluctance on the part of the Japanese military to surrender. Suicide bombers would fly into American ships. They were highly motivated.

I think at the time the predominant American attitude was to convince the Japanese beyond a shadow of a doubt that should they persist we could level even more destruction. (I think at the time we only had the two bombs)

So an absolute demonstration was needed. Perhaps an offshore exhibition may have been useful, I don’t think there would’ve been as quick a surrender response, though, so in that regard many more lives were saved that could have been lost, perhaps.

I think the whole mindset at the time was different. Being magnanimous was probably not in the minds of the American military strategists. Just glad my dad made it home so I can be here today making a few comments.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm constantly intriequed by attempts by contemporary minds to understand those of past eras. To apply today's morals and ethical mores to times past and the people of those times is ludicrous at best.

200 years from now it may be that the thought of humans "owning" dogs, cats or horses could be looked at as we today consider the slave holders of the past!

We condemn the Ancient Spartans for leaving unwanted children out for the wolves to eliminate while thinking that the killing of unborn children is humane.

The attitude of this nation in 1945 was that whatever it took to END, once and for all, the Imperial Japanese aggression was paramount. Unfortunately the people of Japan were the puppets of the militaristic leaders and suffered the most — as do all those who fall into the category of "collateral damage".

To second guess history is a futile endevour.

Krel

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time, figures for deaths in an invasion of Japan started at one million (1,000,000), and rose rapidly from there. My Dad was a U.S. Marine, and was convinced that if we had invaded, he would not have survived.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father was there too Krel.

The tradeoff was a potential million American lives for a few thousand Japaneese lives. And they were clearly the aggressors in the first place. This madness had to end.

How would you have decided?

The weight of the decision was squarely on Truman's shoulders.

For better or worse . . . I think he made the best decision possible.

There are key points in history where the World waits in the outcome . . . and pays the price for that decision.

The Germans were pursuing an atomic program as well as advanced weapons programs like the V-2 and others.

I think . . . even with the perils of the Cold War that the best of many bad options were realized.

We can condemn our parents for the decisions they made.

And we can criticize them for those decisions . . . but we are all the inheritors of all those decisions going back to the decision to come out of the ice to fill the globe with our progeny and to farm and cultivate the Earth and to advance to the point we have reached on the cusp of true ownership of the Earth.

We shall pay the price for that decision.

That recconing is yet to come.

May we be worthy of that obligation.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, I'm totally convinced. And a bit ashamed. Embarassed

Your powerful arguments have shown me that my suggestion that a more humane demonstration of the A-bomb's power would not have been effective in ending that terrible war.

I'm especially embarrassed by the fact that my father was in the U.S. Navy until 1946, stationed in the Pacific, and he too might have perished in WWII if it hadn't been ended so decisively by the atomic bombs! Shocked

So, I'd like to thank you gentlemen, one and all, for providing the vital information I lacked when I made my suggestion that the A-bombs could have been effectively demonstrated to the Japanese without any loss of life.

Clearly, I was wrong. Sad

Again . . . thank you, guys.

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"200 years from now it may be that the thought of humans "owning" dogs, cats or horses could be looked at as we today consider the slave holders of the past!"

My dogs own me!
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbius wrote:
"200 years from now it may be that the thought of humans "owning" dogs, cats or horses could be looked at as we today consider the slave holders of the past!"

My dogs own me!

Well....Who picks up who's poop?
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUD WROTE:
Quote:
Clearly, I was wrong.

No Bud...not wrong. Yours was a very valid question and it showed your humanity and respect for Human life. It was a question that must have been asked by President Truman in making his decision to drop the bombs on populated (But heavy war production ) areas!

The people of Japan were heavily brainwashed by the militaristic Duma controlled by Prime Minister Tojo and still under the tightly controlled influence of the divine Emperor Hirohito. They were being told to fight to the last man, woman or child.Even the schoolgirls were being instructed to resist using farm implements....Kamikasi pilots were trained to give up their lives to fight against the American invaders and to do so for the Son of the Sun, Hirohito.

Total war is ugly. It is designed to be so. It is to have the result that the foes will to fight evaporates. Hitler tried to use it against the Brits in the execution of the Blitz and failed. Truman had a much more deadly decision to make.

Your questioning is not "wrong"....It just would Not have worked

Last edited by Gord Green on Sat May 09, 2020 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to an old documentary Japan already had their pwn bomb!

https://documentaryheaven.com/japans-atomic-bomb/

Japan’s Atomic Bomb

Did the Japanese detonate an atomic device just days before they surrendered?

– Evidence suggests Japan was just weeks behind the U.S. in the race to build the bomb.
– See how the Japanese planned to deliver the deadly device.
– Formerly top-secret Japanese documents help tell the dramatic tale.

Since the end of World War II, conventional wisdom claimed that Imperial Japan was years away from building an atomic weapon. Japan’s Atomic Bomb shatters that view.

Using once-secret Japanese wartime documents, this special offers evidence that Japan had world-class nuclear physicists, access to uranium ore, and cyclotrons to process it. They devised an innovative way to deliver the bombs using 400-foot long Sen Toku submarines, capable of carrying and launching airplanes. Most startling, just six days after Hiroshima, Japan tested its own atomic device on a small island 20 miles off the Korean coast! The sobering conclusion is that Japan may have been just weeks behind the U.S. in the race for the bomb.

YouTube (part 1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JKLxTR_5ig

I couldn't find the complete documentary.

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Morbius wrote:

My dogs own me!

Well . . . who picks up who's poop?

Was that a loaded question?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbius wrote:
Was that a loaded question?

Clever! Subtle and very clever . . . Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: