ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Final Countdown (1980)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bud, I like the way you think!

Do you figure we could hype it to Hollywood?
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone still isn't convinced there should be a remake of The Final Countdown using the most modern aircraft carrier, watch this short-but-amazing video about the USS Gerald R. Ford! Very Happy

After seeing this YouTube video, I'm more convinced than ever that there could be a series of movies about how the time-traveling aircraft carrier would change the world — in good and bad ways, for the sake of drama, naturally.

But since we can't go back in time and win WWII in 1941, at least I now have more confidence that we can win the next war a bit quicker than I thought. These videos might give Kim Jong-un-intelligent a few things to consider if the little prick sits down and watches them. Very Happy

WHY RUSSIA & CHINA SHOULD FEAR THE USS GERALD R. FORD

WHY NORTH KOREA WILL LAST ONLY A FEW DAYS IN A WAR WITH THE U.S.

WHY A SINGLE B2 COULD BE ENOUGH TO TAKE OUT THE NORTH KOREAN MILITARY

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a book a few years ago by Harry Turtledove called GUNS OF THE SOUTH.

The story deals with a group of time-traveling Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging members from 2014, led by Andries Rhoodie, who wish to alter the outcome of the Civil War and, as a result, ensure the success of their own cause in the future.

In order to do this, they provide General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia and General Joseph Johnston's Army of Tennessee with a large number of AK-47s.

To all but a few Confederate leaders, who are told the truth, they are known as "the Rivington men" after the (fictional) North Carolina where they set up their base. They explain the AWB initials on their organizational flag as standing for "America Will Break".

A detailed synopsis of the book can be found here:

http://turtledove.wikia.com/wiki/The_Guns_of_the_South

It supposes that even machine guns and walkie-talkies can make a big differenc when introduced in the past.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This premise sets my teeth on edge because I despise the whole idea that America tried to split itself in half just so the South could enslave Africans and force them to do manual labor, while the aristocracy got rich!

The Civil War is the blackest stain on American history since the Declaration of Independence was signed!

Several years ago I had an idea for a novel that involves an experimental time machine facility which hasn't been tested yet, and a group of White Supremacists who invade the project so they can send a team back to the early days of the American colonies to make their own changes in history.

What they plan to do is actually PREVENT Africans from being brought to this country and enslaved! What they want is for America to be free of all Africans. It's the White Supremacist goal in the strictest form!

After these terrorists go back in time, a mixed team of whites and blacks follow the supremacists back into the past to prevent them from changing history.

They know that our nation has been enriched and benefited by it's cultural diversity, and without the events in history which caused both the suffering of slavery AND the birth of great African Americans like Martin Luther King and many others, our nation would not be as strong as it is today!

In other words, the White Supremacists want to "purify" America — at the expensive of denying it the influence of the great men and women who were later born and benefited our national culture.

But the team of whites and blacks follow the villains in this story to actually preserve history and cause slavery to occur as it had in the past!

The story intentionally pits evil men who travel back into the past to prevent slavery . . . for all the wrong reasons . . . against good men who understand that the horror of slavery was necessary to eventually force drastic changes in our society which united people of different races.

I realize that this is a controversial concept. Our basic nature rebels against the idea that we can't "fix" the injustices of the past without causing changes in the timeline that might cause new and more horrible injustices!

The premise of the story is that any change in the past which "fixes" injustices will eventually cause a whole new set of injustices. There is no "perfect past".

However, I assure you that my story idea includes a climax with an unexpected twist which will leave the reader feeling surprised and pleased about the outcome. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, Bud, that you have to put this in its historical context.

Last edited by Gord Green on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reminded of this tale of a (then) modern military jet ending up in World War I. I suspect that getting a suitable fuel would be a problem...

Analog, July 1968
_________
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I actually have that issue! That's Kelly Freas artwork, right? Very Happy

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
I suspect that getting a suitable fuel would be a problem...

He probably could use kerosene in a pinch.

WayneO
-----------
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Custer wrote:
I suspect that getting a suitable fuel would be a problem...

He probably could use kerosene in a pinch.

That's what I was thinking. Jet fuel is basically kerosene, which has been around since the 1850s.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll have to read the story to find out, I guess. It is Kelly Freas art on the cover, and indeed on the interior illustrations. But, having released my copy from its plastic bag, I can quote the editorial introduction, by of course John W. Campbell:

Quote:
Throw an ultra-modern, nuclear-missile-armed supersonic fighter back through time against WW1 planes — and what chance would the wood-and-cloth planes of that era have?!
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
. . . It is Kelly Freas art on the cover, and indeed on the interior illustrations.

The modern jet on the cover is obviously based on an SR-71 Blackbird, but doesn't represent any real-life aircraft. The SR-71 didn't have a central vertical tail -- and what's with the landing gear? Are those supposed to be skids? And no nose gear at all.

(If I didn't nitpick, I wouldn't be a geek.)
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
I think, Bud, that you have to put this in its historical context. ...

Thoughtfully well said, Gord.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
... and what's with the landing gear? Are those supposed to be skids?

I was thinking on this very item today on my way to Starbux, prompted by the question of jet fuel. "Is there anything else that might be a problem for such an aircraft popping up in the midst of WWI?"

Runways?

But then I remembered the skids in place of wheels, so this craft must have VTOL capability as well.

WayneO
-----------
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is as much of one of the pair of interior illustrations as I can manage without doing the magazine's spine any damage. An old car on the facing page continued the image. That seems a bit of a hint about the fueling situation...

postimage.org
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
scotpens wrote:
... and what's with the landing gear? Are those supposed to be skids?

I was thinking on this very item today on my way to Starbux, prompted by the question of jet fuel. "Is there anything else that might be a problem for such an aircraft popping up in the midst of WWI?"

Runways?

But then I remembered the skids in place of wheels, so this craft must have VTOL capability as well.

I read this story in a collection back in the 70's, it is a good story. The fighter is VTOL and powered by kerosene. A point was made in the story, that the Commander was having a hard time explaining to his superiors why he needed so much kerosene. Laughing

You would think that the fighter would have wheels, just so they could move it around the airfield. Maybe it was a point in the story that it had skids. I don't remember, it has been over thirty years since I read the story.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: