ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Trek New Voyages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Star Trek New Voyages Reply with quote

Star Trek New Voyages releases latest episode, "The Holiest Thing"

The fan production Star Trek New Voyages has released the latest installment in their long-running series.

The new episode, "The Holiest Thing", is the tenth entry in the series and features an appearance by someone very familiar to Star Trek fans.

From the episode summary:
Quote:
Captain Kirk and the Enterprise investigate the devastation of Lappa III, apparently by the terraforming efforts of Dr. Carol Marcus........

LINK:
http://trekmovie.com/2016/01/18/star-trek-new-voyages-releases-latest-episode-the-holiest-thing/#more-41254

AND WATCH IT HERE!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woQv9pbXUgo
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy is all downloaded and ready for us to watch, BDT! Cool

Do we have any other members who'd like to do that with us in our chat room? That would be fun!

I took a peek at a few scenes to see what the sets and FX looked like, and I was very impressed!

I was puzzled, however, when I noticed that they were using the Enterprise design which was introduced in TMP, rather than the one used in TOS.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look real carefully, Bud.

It's the "Phase II" Enterprise, between TOS ST:TMP.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll defer final judgement on this subject to our resident Star Trek expert, Bulldogtrekker — with whom I watched The Holiest Thing yesterday (chatting on Facebook). I asked him why they seemed to have used the version of the Enterprise that did not exist until the "18 months" Scotty stated it took to refit and redesign the Enterprise.

BDT said he didn't know why they used this version either.

Bear in mind that the new version of the ship was created after Kirk had been promoted to Admiral and no longer commanded the Enterprise. I should also mention that The Holiest Thing is a story about the first meeting between Captain James T. Kirk and Dr. Carol Marcus — the mother to the roughly twenty-year-old son of James T. Kirk we met in The Wrath of Khan.

Add to this the fact that Roddenberry's plans to return Star Trek to television were slated to occur in 1978, one year before TMP was released, and the cast (according to Roddenberry) would include "as many of the old faces as possible, as well as an infusion of new ones".

So, the versions of the characters who would crew the refitted Enterprise in Phase II would be significantly older than they were in TOS — which The Holiest Thing emasculates every way it can.

Except for the ship's exterior they used. Shocked

Thus we can safely conclude that the redesigned Enterprise we see in The Holiest Thing should not look like the one Admiral Kirk went plum Moony-eyed over the first time he saw it (accent on "first") in Star Trek: The Motion Picture — at least a decade after TOS.

I rest my case.

PS: The Enterprise makes first contact with the Ferengi in The Holiest Thing — something which all true Trekkers know damn well didn't happen until we see the Ferengi in an early TNG episode, 70+ years later.

The fans who are making these films don't mind tossing out anything that's canon if they get the urge to do so.
Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea why the Enterprise has some -but not all -
updates from ST:TMP. The saucer might be the original style. I liked it better than Bud but the last 5 minutes were odd. I posted it in the ALL SCI-FI MOVIE ROOM.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldogtrekker wrote:
I have no idea why the Enterprise has some - but not all - updates from ST:TMP. The saucer might be the original style.

The only upgrades from the TOS design I can see are the warp nacelles and struts.

And we seem to have entered an era where the CGI can outclass the rest of the production values.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I wouldn't know if the saucer section was the same or not, but those big honkin' rectangular — not cylindrical — nacelles are NOT supposed to be on the Enterprise before the refit we see in TMP. So, it really doesn't matter if all or just part of the Enterprise is exactly like the TMP version.

My point was simply that NONE of it should be.

orzel-w wrote:
And we seem to have entered an era where the CGI can outclass the rest of the production values.

Well of course they can! Remember, this project was just made by fans, not a professional film studio.

But a few talented guys at computers can now do what it used to take an entire special effects department to do — and the results can be far better! That's why I love the enhanced versions of the TOS episodes so much. I get to see the FX that TOS deserved back in the 1960s. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the following question on IMDB:
I just saw The Holiest Thing. When did the Enterprise get rectangular nacelles? Is the saucer old style or the Motion Picture style. Did I miss an episode?
Another thing; why did Kirk look so different at the end of the episode? Was a holodeck involved?

I just received this answer from tkainear
The rectangular nacelles were part of the Phase II upgrade that Paramount planned for their series in the 70's, so James Cawley adapted them for his Phase II series. They were changed at the end of "Going Boldly" when the Enterprise went into drydock for repairs.

However, they've gone back to "New Voyages" and episodes are being aired not in the order shot - so they may disappear and then reappear in future episodes.

The ending was reshot at a later time to change the original ending of the episode - so there were makeup and lighting differences from when they shot the rest of the episode.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan-made 'Star Trek' sets become tourist attraction in NY
By MICHAEL HILL Associated Press

TICONDEROGA, N.Y. (AP) — On its many voyages through space, the Starship Enterprise has endured bridge-shaking blasts from enemy ships and infiltration by scheming aliens. Now it's being invaded by tourists.

Sets mimicking those of the 1960s TV series "Star Trek" — including Capt. Kirk's bridge, sick bay and engine room — were built by fans for an internet film series produced in this Adirondacks mountain town and are now open to paying customers who just can't get enough of the 50-year-old franchise.

"The entire set ... how close it is to the actual TV show, you feel like you're really there," said 16-year-old Tiffany Schubert of Peru, New York. "It makes you just want to be in the show and have the same experience — being attacked by aliens, as bad as that is."

Schubert wore a red Starfleet shirt during a guided tour on a recent Star Trek convention weekend with her father, who came dressed as Spock. They heard a red alert, stood on transporter pads (dad gave a live long and prosper hand sign) and poked around the bridge. The sets are doppelgangers of the originals down to each blinking light and 3-D chess piece.

James Cawley, a 50-year-old Elvis impersonator, began the years-long process of building the sets in 1997 after inheriting a copy of the original Enterprise blueprints from a costume designer on the original show.

Cawley and fellow fans released their first "Star Trek: New Voyages" web film in 2004, with Cawley portraying Kirk. Cast members call what they do "playing Star Trek," but the production values became quite high, with some episodes involving up to 200 people and attracting original "Star Trek" actors George Takei and Walter Koenig (reprising their roles of Sulu and Chekov, respectively.)

"It was a fun little lark, and it just exploded," said Cawley, who produced 11 full-length episodes, which have so far garnered more than a million views.

They were pioneers in the flourishing culture of Star Trek fan films. But the atmosphere in their little universe chilled in December after Paramount Pictures and CBS Studios filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against the makers in California of a planned fan film that raised more than $1 million on crowdsourcing web sites. Six months later, the companies — calling themselves "big believers in reasonable fan fiction" — released guidelines on how fan filmmakers can avoid objections, such as not raising more than $50,000 and keeping individual episodes to under 15 minutes.

Though he was never sued, Cawley felt it was a good time to move on.

"I just thought at that point, 'Why have I been making these films?'" he said. "Basically, I'd been making these films because I enjoy the people that come from all over the world that love the same thing that I do."

Opening the sets to visitors became a way to keep the fans coming. He obtained a license from CBS Consumer Products and opened the doors of a former dollar store this month. Adult admission is $24.30.......

"The appeal of Star Trek always was that it imagined a far, far better future than maybe what we're actually building for ourselves," she said "And I think it's something people want to believe in and want to see
come true."

BDT: The James Cawley era Star Trek fan tribute episodes are still available at YouTube.

LINK for full story:
http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/fan-made-star-trek-sets-become-tourist-attraction-in-ny/article_b737ad49-e08f-51dc-a92a-fe11d325f2f8.html
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like there will be no more Star Trek:New Voyages forthcoming.

Supposedly, there is at least one more Star Trek Continues forthcoming, but who knows what after that.

It's a shame because the quality of those shows was excellent.

It also looks like Axanar is dead in the water as well.

Renegades is transforming away from a Star Trek continuity so it may resurface at some time.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Trek New Voyages: Phase II - Torment of Destiny

I don't know if this episode will ever be released (and it may be dead) but here is a trailer for it.

Watch the trailer here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2op9JsNwuo0

Story
Return to the world of Yonada: just as Doctor McCoy is reunited with his wife, Natira, they are captured by a terrorist faction. The crew of the Enterprise, involved in peace talks, must investigate an Embassy bombing and locate McCoy and Natira before it's too late.

Special Guest Star: Richard Hatch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: