ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ruff And Reddy (NBC 1957 - 1960)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi in Other Audio/Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Ruff And Reddy (NBC 1957 - 1960) Reply with quote

Not all of the episodes had a sci-fi theme, but the ones with the Muni-Mulas are the best remembered.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to find a Youtube video that offered the album shown in the picture above, but I struck out. Sad

For others members who have fond memories of these beloved characters, we have a nice thread started by Eadie about the TV series itself in Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 .

Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a certain irony in selling an LP record based on an animated TV show, of course. When you consume the product, you don't get any of the animation. There used to be a lot of animated show-to-LP releases, though. I remember having the Disney Peter Pan story record and liking it a lot. I suppose there hasn't been much of this type of audio release since the advent of home video.
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Jones wrote:
There used to be a lot of animated show-to-LP releases, though. I remember having the Disney Peter Pan story record and liking it a lot. I suppose there hasn't been much of this type of audio release since the advent of home video.

Not only LPs, 45s were also very popular. They were usually songs from the show, or songs that fit the characters. When I was a kid, I used to listen to my big Brother's Disney 45s of Disney songs and songs from Disney shows. I don't remember what company did them, but I would love to have them on CD.

David.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel, all of the Disney records back then were published by Disneyland Records.

Another format was 16 2/3 rpm. This was used primarily for story-telling and opera.

I used to have a 4-record set that was a sequel to The Wizard of Oz (1939) in which all of the movie's cast enacted a new story with new characters. Jim the Sawhorse was the one I remember most.

Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record#New_sizes_and_materials (at The microgroove & vinyl era)
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we're going astray of the thread's topic, but since we're doing it with gusto, I just had to pop in with my own tale of movies-to-records. (Photobucket is back up now, so I can post images.)

When I was a kid I had a storybook record album of Disney's then-newly released The Story of Robin Hood and His Merry Men.

The Disney version was my first exposure to Robin Hood and has remained my favorite ever since. The album contained a number of 45 rpm records and color illustrations from the movie.

The idea was to look at each successive page, turning to the next illustration whenever Alan-a-Dale strums on his lute... like this (thrummm...).

When I grew up and had long since lost possession of that album, I would wax nostalgic whenever the topic of Robin Hood arose, even after acquiring the movie on VHS in the '70s. Then one day I happened to find the storybook album on eBay. I bid and won. When it arrived, I found that this version contained 78s instead of 45s! So... the adventure begins. My turntable was not equipped with a 78 rpm speed option. But I found software online that would correct the speed and pitch of 78 rpm records played at 45 rpm. Problem solved.

Next I scanned each page of the album and adjusted the images in Photoshop (the paper had noticeably yellowed). Then I loaded the images and soundtrack into PowerPoint. Now I can enjoy the storybook album "at the push of a button". Just hit the Enter key whenever Alan-a-Dale strums on his lute... like this (thrummm...).

WayneO
-----------
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, guys. Those old story records really are precious items, when you think about it. I hope as they go out of copyright somebody starts digitizing them and putting them online somewhere. I think repeated listening to those records contributed to my lifelong passion for movies. I was always more interested in movie soundtracks than pop albums. I listened to the story record of George Pal's Tom Thumb movie for many years before ever actually seeing the film.

And, just to stay on track, I always like Ruff 'n Ready, too. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi in Other Audio/Visual Media All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: