ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knowing (2009)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Knowing (2009) Reply with quote

(from Wikipedia)

Knowing is a 2009 American-British[3] science fiction disaster film directed by Alex Proyas and starring Nicolas Cage. The project was originally attached to a number of directors under Columbia Pictures, but it was placed in turnaround and eventually picked up by Escape Artists. Production was financially backed by Summit Entertainment. Knowing was filmed in Docklands Studios Melbourne, Australia, using various locations to represent the film's Boston-area setting. The film was released on 20 March 2009, in the United States. The DVD and Blu-ray media were released on July 7, 2009.

(partial summary with possible spoilers)

In 1959, student Lucinda Embry hears whispers as she stares at the sun. Later, she writes a page of seemingly random numbers and adds it to her school's time capsule, set to be opened in 50 years.

In 2009, Caleb Koestler is a student at the same school. When the time capsule is opened, Caleb is supposed to read and write about some of the capsule's contents. He's given the page of numbers written by Lucinda. His widowed father Jonathan (Nicolas Cage), a professor of astrophysics at MIT, notices the numbers have a specific set of sequences referring to the times and locations of fatal disasters over the last 50 years, including 911012996 (the date and death toll of the 9/11 attacks). The last three sets of digits are dated in the immediate future.

(My take on this movie)

I read the entire synopsis, and despite the fact that it seems very detailed, it certainly doesn't present a very clear description of the story. There are many references to characters having various visions, but I didn't understand where these visions were coming from.

I'll definitely put off watching this one until I get a positive recommendation from someone. Have any All Sci-Fi members seen this one?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:15 am; edited 9 times in total
Bongopete
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I saw the previews and planned on seeing in the theater . . . didn't. Came to cable and I watched . . . a depressing moving, eh?

WTF?
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Knowing - (2009) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I read the entire synopsis, and despite the fact that it seems very detailed, it certainly doesn't present a very clear description of the story. There are many references to characters having various visions, but I didn't understand where these visions were coming from.

I'll definitely put off watching this one until I get a positive recommendation from someone. Have any All Sci-Fi members seen it

We have. Both Pye-rate and I found this to be a true and accurate statement. The "movie" is incomprehensible.
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: I'll defend it! Reply with quote

Pythagorus As Nostradamus.

Knowing is directed by Alex Proyas and collectively written by Ryne Douglas Pearson, Juliet Snowden and Stiles White. It stars Nicolas Cage, Rose Byrne, Chandler Canterbury, Lara Robinson, Ben Mendelsohn and Nadia Townsend. Music is by Marco Beltrami and cinematography by Simon Duggan.

1959, and young schoolgirl Lucinda Embry (Robinson) keeps hearing voices. When asked to submit a drawing for the school time capsule that's to be opened in 50 years time, she writes a series of random numbers that don't appear to make sense. Forward to 50 years and the grand opening of the capsule, where Professor Jonathan Koestler (Cage) and his young son come by way of Lucinda's numbers. Just what do they mean? If anything?...

Ah yes, the good old disaster movie, a genre of film that continues unabated through the decades, this in spite of critical indifference. But the paying public still keep turning up in droves, even in this new technological age. Where once was models being destroyed, and paintings forming elegant backdrops, now is whizz bangery that costs a fortune. Still great fun, though, which is why something like Knowing exists and has many fans.

It's a splendid piece of sci-fi hokum pulsing with supernatural overtones, a gentle creeper unravelling the mystery in layers until the final countdown begins. The science is obviously dubious (it's a movie folks) and the air of pessimism that hovers consistently over proceedings (not only is the world in trouble, but all the protags have miserable issues as well), may be too much for some. However, Cage is as committed as ever, Proyas yet again proves himself a beautiful visualist, while the scenes of carnage are truly harrowing and unforgettable.

A popcorner with moments of wonder and awe, and yes of course, some cheese as well. Ignore the Cage haters, if you like sci-fi infused disaster movies and haven't had fun with this one yet, then do so, it's a blast. And did I say it's gorgeous to look at as well? It is! 7/10

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't seen this movie, but the trailer makes it look interesting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: