ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TOS The Cage (First Pilot)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: TOS The Cage (First Pilot) Reply with quote

Unused transporter effect.

I wonder why it wasn't used?
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a shot at a guess: It didn't look so swell on a b/w TV (if it is, in fact, an authentic unused effect).

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
I'll take a shot at a guess: It didn't look so swell on a b/w TV (if it is, in fact, an authentic unused effect).

Wayne, I think you've got something there. I never would have thought of that!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the outline for the humans used here has a kinda cartoony, Hanna-Barbera effect that I do not care for.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. And they look like they're under water, blowing bubbles!
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect it was a lot more labor intensive as well than the final version used. The efx team probably said, "Tell me we're not gonna do this every time somebody beams down!"

WayneO
-----------
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of black and white, you remind me that I first saw the original version of The Cage (not the 2-part wrapped version) in black and white 16mm shown by none other than Gene Roddenberry himself. In the mid '70s I had a job that involved driving around Ft. Worth, Texas and often could flex my schedule. I heard on the radio that Gene was doing a free lecture at Texas Christian University (just down the street from my apartment then). It was starting in like 30 minutes. I wrapped up whatever I was doing, shot over there and caught the whole thing. There was a huge crowd. He did a nice long talk and answered a lot of questions. He showed both the Cage and the well known blooper reel (first time I saw that, too).

Ah, the days of being a young man about town...
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange that it is called a "blooper" reel.

It is more commonly known as the "goodie" reel.

Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Goodie reel" must be more of an industry insider term. I've never heard it used in that way. I think "blooper reel" would be the most common use by lay persons. "Blooper reel" gets 701K Google results and "goodie reel" gets only 232K.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also heard the term "gag reel". This term or "goodie reel" more appropriately describe the content of the Star Trek original series items, which were not strictly bloopers. Some of the footage was just regular scenes manipulated in printing, editing, or overdubbing to turn them into humorous variations of the original.

Seems that the existence of the gag reel(s) (for any TV series) came into popular awareness with the resurgence of Star Trek (TOS) in syndication. I attended the Equicon ST conventions in Los Angeles in the early-to-mid 1970s, where the gag reel was making a big splash. It was a compilation of the three end-of-season gag reels that were made up for the season wrap-up cast parties. The gag reels were never intended for public consumption, and therefore were not "G-rated". "Word on the street" at the time was that Leonard Nimoy had objected to the reel being shown in public for that reason. (He confirmed this at one of his appearance lectures that I attended.)

WayneO
-----------
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cage (First Pilot) Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
Unused transporter effect.

While rewatching "The Menagerie/Cage" episodes the other day I picked up on something I had never noticed before reading the above post: The transporter pads were also individually colored originally, like the unused transporter effect! I've intensified the existing colors in this screen grab.

WayneO
-----------
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post follows from a discussion started in the ST "The Man Trap" episode thread regarding the recycling of the older laser pistol weapon. However, my comments following pertain to the original design seen in "The Cage"/"The Menagerie".

In "The Man Trap" thread I commented about the overdesign of the pistol's handgrip and trigger. To me, the designer sacrificed aesthetics and ergonomics for the sake of making the grip look more "spacey" (no relation to Kevin).

My idea of a more practical and ergonomic grip/trigger arrangement would be like this:

(I tried it with a grip and trigger copied from a Walther P38 ─ a la Man From UNCLE ─ but that looked like a cloning experiment gone wrong. So I backed off to this simpler design.)

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, Wayne!

Seems like it would need a trigger guard. What do you think?

Krel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the rather unusual shape of the grip was dictated by Gene Roddenberry's requirement that the LASER balance upright on it's grip?

I read on a site once that the pistols were originally to be clear, like the communicators. The author claimed that he saw one of the surviving LASERS, and the paint was off the base of the grip, showing components buried in the prop. The props were made out of clear plastic, so it kind of makes sense when you look at the communicator, but he is the only person I have ever read saying that.

As a kid, I always thought that the LASER looked like the Flying Saucer Gun I had as a kid. You know the ones that fired the big, three-blade propeller that you would windup on the front. That could be one reason why the design was rejected.

David.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Seems like it would need a trigger guard. What do you think?

I left it off because they didn't see fit to have one on the original design. But since this is a modern (futuristic) weapon rather than one designed in 1911 (Colt 45 auto), there would be all manner of sensing whether or not a hand was gripping it or pulling the trigger without the need to resort to a conventional trigger guard.

Krel wrote:
The props were made out of clear plastic, so it kind of makes sense when you look at the communicator, but he is the only person I have ever read saying that.

The props made from castings used Perspex in those days, which was clear (yellowing with age). Back then any casting resins I saw in the crafts stores were clear.

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: