ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
By-the-way, WHO made the painting, Arthur Lonergan? Henri Hillinck. Mentor Huebner? Does anyone know?

According to the Cinefantastique article's caption on page 52, (which is also picture #52), both of the matte paintings were done by Henri Hillinck. They were done in oil on Masonite. Read the caption from the large-size version of the page at this link. Very Happy

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t give up, Gord! You’re so close to clarifying your main point!
Very Happy

Gord Green wrote:
The one concept you keep not understanding is the basic "front and back" idea.

I looked up the definition of “the front of a house”. Here’s what I found.

On a residential block of land, a front yard is the portion of land between the street and the front of the house.

If it is covered in grass, it may be referred to as a front lawn. The area behind the house, usually more private, is the back yard or back garden.

Notice that there’s no mention of a house’s “axis” or the arrangement of its interior walls. That’s where we seem to be getting confused. Confused

For example, do we really need to know anything about a house’s “axis” or its interior walls to know where the front of the house is when we arrive for dinner and want to ring the door bell?

Of course not! We just walk up to the front door! Very Happy

Robby dropped the crewmen off at the front door for lunch. That, sir, was the “front of the house”.

You’re over-thinking this, Gord!

A person with average intelligence can figure out where the “front of the house” is after driving up to any of these dome-shaped houses below. Why do you keep lecturing us on irrelevant subjects like the axis of a house! Shocked

Who cares where the interior walls are? The front of the house has nothing to do with that! The front of any house is what you're looking at from the road when you drive past it! Very Happy

Concerning the matte painting, as a fellow artist I can assure you that MGM’s Henri Hillinck would not have painted the boring old BACK of the house!

He’d paint the more impressive front side to display the Frank Lloyd Wright style breezeway! And because he was no dummy, he put the swimming pool in the backyard. That’s where young girls can skinny dip in private! Wink

Finally, please consider this: you can’t just slap down that dome-shaped house on top of the rectangular floor plan and expect the view from INSIDE the house to be what we see in the movie! Shocked

Where are the curved walls? Where are the triangular windows?

And none of the house’s interior is below ground level, so the matte painting is supposed to show the same house we see in the movie, with a ground floor and two bedrooms upstairs . . . even though the painting doesn’t match the blueprints worth a damn!

Forgive me, Gord, but your ideas about this are . . . well . . . wacky!
Very Happy
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUD WROTE:
Quote:
Where are the curved walls? Where are the triangular windows?

And none of the house’s interior is below ground level, so the matte painting is supposed to show the same house we see in the movie, with a ground floor and two bedrooms upstairs . . . even though the painting doesn’t match the blueprints worth a damn!

As to the first question...The curved walls and triangular windows are on the UPPER level...not shown in the movie or blueprint, but shown in the painting. The back end of the first floor is in the cutout in the rock ledge that the upper level (The domed section) rests on.

And as to your second point....not below ground...at least not in the entrance and pool area, but it clearly shows rock wall sections on the two other visible sides, by the staircase on one side and the Krell tunnel on the opposite. Of course the rear section is the wild section where the cameras etc are set up so nothing is shown of that area.. I'm making the assumption that this area is ALSO enclosed by rock walls cut into the rear because that would be consistant with the painting.

almost every picture you post above of the interior of the home shows these rock walls. They extend upward only to the level of the ceiling of the first level because that would be consistant with the matte painting.

This is still ground level, there are just those typical Krellian rock features located in that area surrounding some of the ground level and could be supporting the upper domed levels.

BUT-----I realized that we are just looking at the first level in opposite orientation.

I look at it like this :

You're looking at it like this :

It's a question of how we're looking at it. All my comments regarding "front and back" are different from your frame of reference. I don't think there's an absolute right or wrong way of looking at it, but I call the TOP of the blueprint where the entrance is"front" and the bottom of the blueprint where the living area is"back".

The black circle represents the "upper" domed levels resting on the surrounding rock ledge features.

Whether the artist was asked to paint the front or back of the house is irrelevant, it certainly looks like the back (kind of side and back ) because it has NO sign of the features shown in the movie of the front entrance and the pool is oriented on the right side when viewed from that point of view.

My suggestion, and it is just that, co-ordinates both the features of the painting with the blueprint and finished set. The painting IS accurate, but only if you accept that it is a view from the rear of the residence. If you don't accept that....That's your prerogative. You can continue thinking that the painting is "all wrong".

But it still represents a document of the finished film.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was your best post yet, Gord, and it clarifies your interpretation of your theories about the painting extremely well.

I'm willing to concede that your concepts are as valid as mine, and in some ways you've actually convinced me that I made assumptions which weren't as well-founded as I thought. Very Happy

I reckon I'll wave the white flag and consider us both to be winners, because we shared interesting ideas and stuck to our guns while we had a blast sharing ideas on this fascinating subject.

Now I suggest that we find some other aspect of this amazing movie to discuss, so that the other members won't think old Bud is too stubborn to admit when he is (at least partly) wrong. Wink

My philosophy is, "If you can't be 100% right, be 100% willing to admit it."

Recently you and I have been discussing things to watch together in the chat room, and I'd like to suggest that we celebrate the successful conclusion of our spirited debate by watching Forbidden Planet!

What do you think? Smile

By the way, I was wondering if you knew that the screen cap from the "virtual tour" you used above is actually a modified version I made which added rooms to the residence for things like a home theater, a kitchen, and a downstairs bathroom.

Here's the original. The post is on Page 32 of this thread, and it explains why I had the idea to add the extra areas to the floor plan. If you haven't read it, please do. Cool

Here's a version of the jpeg with the added areas labeled.

I'll bet you would have some interesting thoughts about the subject! If I understand your ideas about the excavated areas around the house, the added parts in the floor plan are in the region you described! Very Happy
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely old friend! (Well, not that you're that old...but you are my friend!)

We shall watch it...soon...I'll pm you and set it up for this week.

Yes, I knew it was your take on the extension, and I agree with the idea. I think Morbius's office extends a bit back too and that he had a small area to sleep in there as described in the novelization.

The area you designate "kitchen" was probably the area where Robby's "lab" may have been. Somewhere too would be an elevator of sorts for Robby to go to the upper level. (I can't imagine him trying to take the stairs!)

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now hold on! I've been slaving over a hot keyboard for a couple days, preparing several images. So I claim the right of presenting my closing arguments.

First, as a minor comment...

What Gord is interpreting as a load bearing support, I’m pretty sure is the “household disintegrator”. On the master floorplan there’s even a curved arrow for the rotating cover panel.

Now, the extension of the house in the matte painting that you refer to as a breezeway, Bud, I believe would be more properly called a “driveway canopy” or “building entrance canopy”.

According to Wikipedia...
Quote:
A breezeway is an architectural feature similar to a hallway that allows the passage of a breeze between structures to accommodate high winds, allow aeration, or provide aesthetic design variation. Often a breezeway is a simple roof connecting two structures (such as a house and a garage); sometimes it can be much more like a tunnel with windows on either side. It may also refer to a hallway between two wings of a larger building–such as between a house and a garage–that lacks heating and cooling but allows sheltered passage.

In other words, a breezeway joins two structures. According to images I found when searching for a covering that extends out over a driveway, such a structure seems to be known as a “driveway canopy” or “building entrance canopy”. Here are examples:

That's what you're describing, right?

Now, onward...

Bud wrote:
On a residential block of land, a front yard is the portion of land between the street and the front of the house.

Robby dropped the crewmen off at the front door for lunch. That, sir, was the “front of the house”.

The front of any house is what you're looking at from the road when you drive past it!

I thought the front of a house was where the "front door" was located!

Seriously, Gord, it really doesn't matter which way you turn a blueprint, an aerial photo, or a computer graphic of a house. The front door faces the road, and the back door traditionally goes out to the patio and the swimming pool and the yard where the kids play.

And I'm pretty sure the back door doesn't have to be directly opposite the front door. It can be a bit off to one side — like it is in this case. If doesn't become the "side door" just because it's 20° off to one side.

Google "front door definition" and you'll get this.

FRONT DOOR
noun
~ the main entrance to a house.

You're pretty fond of Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater house, Bud, so let's take a close look at where its front door is.

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the front of this house is the side that's facing to the right in the above photo, overhanging the stream. In other words, this is "what you're looking at from the road when you drive past it":

But where's the front door?

It's in the back of the house.

See that road behind the house that comes in from the left in the photo above? That's the driveway. It runs behind the house, then makes a right-angle turn to cross the bridge on the right, over the stream. This photo taken behind the house is looking toward the right-hand turn to the bridge. This is where you enter the house; the "front door".

This photo is looking the opposite direction.

Incidentally, that last photo shows the end of a breezeway to the house overhead from the garage up the hill toward the right.

Bud wrote:
Gentlemen, how could we possibly think that the exterior of the house could be a large dome with a smaller wing off to the right (as the painting shows it), when in fact it’s a large area comprised of two rectangles . . . and a small circular area in one corner!

I mean, just look it! The forecourt is actually bigger than the Core . . . but the painting presents it as a big dome!

Aren't you being just a little restrictive in your illustration, Bud? That small circular area of the floorplan you circled is only the "Central Core Area" of the floor. The drawing shows a much larger area covered by sections of the ceiling (yellow and blue arcs).

Bud wrote:
Like, for example, these preproduction sketches . . . which clearly show that the house was supposed to be connected directly to a cliff. Gee, I wonder what part of that concept the matte painting artist didn't understand.

Notice that there is indeed a dome indicated in the second drawing . . . and it also has an extension which connects the house to the cliff!

But two important facts argue against the extension in the painting being the house-to-cliff connection. (A) The extension has a clear "end", and (B) it's nowhere near any rock outcroppings (according to Wayne's jpeg with the road added).

Since the artist seems to have known about the planned fusion of the house with the cliff, why did he NOT paint the cliff next to it?

This concept sketch may have had a greater influence per square inch on the matte painting than the overall floorplan. Here we see that the house is defined as a dome with a rectangular extension (highlighted in yellow) in roughly the same place as the one in the painting.

What's missing in the painting is the portion highlighted in pink. Judging from the fainter pencil lines in the pink area, it looks as though they may have been debating whether or not to extend the rectangular portion all the way to the mountain, rather than spreading it out as indicated by the pink. In any case, the painter just chopped it off, perhaps running out of time before the question was decided.

But the rectangular extension, as Bud admits, represents in this case Morbius' study and the tunnel to the Krell lab. Therefore, the view in the painting is the rear of the house. What's important to answer another of Bud's objections is that it's the side of the house that's undefined on the floorplan, being left open for camera access. That gave the artist freedom to invent that part of the exterior. He simply carried the motif of the V-shaped supports from the interior to the exterior. And nobody said otherwise.

WayneO
-----------
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:

According to images I found when searching for a covering that extends out over a driveway, such a structure seems to be known as a “driveway canopy” or “building entrance canopy”.

A porch-like roof over a driveway where vehicles can load and unload passengers is also called a porte-cochère.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops... left one out.

A combination of scaling and rotating the floorplan brings it into alignment with the matte painting. That, then, also gives us the viewing direction (black arrow).

WayneO
-----------

Last edited by orzel-w on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne, so help me God, I looked high and low to find the right term for a "driveway canopy", along with a few good illustrations like the ones you found. Sorry I didn't make that part of my theory more clear.

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind as my interpretation of the extension.

As for the Frank Lloyd Wright house, I could be mistaken, but I think that wherever a house's front door is located (regardless of all other factors) would generally be considered the "front of the house".

If the architect makes the "front of the house" face away from the street because the view on the other side is more scenic, then the house simply doesn't fit the standard definition of a house "on a residential block of land" where the "front yard is the portion of land between the street and the front of the house."

But that doesn't mean the front door is in the 'back of the house". It just means the street is! Very Happy

For example, if a house is on the edge of a beautiful lake a mile from the road, and the front door faces the lake . . . well, then that's the front the house.

I'm just saying that regardless of any other considerations, the front of a house (or building of any kind) is determined by whichever side features the "main entrance".

After all, isn't that why they call it the "front door"? Confused

This was the reason I was so confused by the way Gord used other criteria to determine the front and back. It never even occurred to me that the front of the house would be determined by anything other other than the location of the main entrance. Very Happy

Wayne, I like your explanation for why the artist might have intended the extension to join with a cliff but didn't complete it the way the pre-production drawings do. And maybe he just didn't want a big rock outcropping blocking his lovely house, so he simply "ended" the extension instead of continuing it, giving it the look of a dramatic main entrance canopy, for aesthetic reasons only.

The artist in me favors that theory for obvious reasons. But we'll never know for sure, I guess. Sad

Speaking of canopies, awnings, etc., I'm afraid you're mistaken when you said the green circle I drew is just the floor in the Core.

orzel-w wrote:
Aren't you being just a little restrictive in your illustration, Bud? That small circular area of the floorplan you circled is only the "Central Core Area" of the floor. The drawing shows a much larger area covered by sections of the ceiling (yellow and blue arcs).

My green circle is actually the round portion of both the ceiling AND the floor of the Core . . . inside the house —

— whereas all but one portion of the larger yellow circle you drew is not part of the house's interior. It's actually the silkscreen "awnings" which are outside the house, shading the front and back entrances.

Note the slanting green supports over the entrance in the picture below. I seem to remember reading in the Cinefantastique article that silkscreen panels were stretched across the horizontal frames below the slanting supports, creating a diffused illumination from the studio lights above.

Between the awning over the front entrance and the awning over the patio is a small portion of the semi-circle located inside the house, parallel to (but not above) the stairs to the bedrooms.

Both the section near the stairs and a much narrower set of panels which form an arc over the living room (the blue arc in your picture) don't actually constitute part of the round ceiling over the core.

In fact, notice that the stairway in the rock face goes up until it's level with this "false ceiling" before leading to the second floor (not actually depicted in the graphic).

I realize that Gord is trying to visualize a dome that fits over the entire floor plan, but unfortunately his proposal seems to have some serious flaws. The dome in his diagram goes well beyond the areas we see outside the front entrance and all the way out to the edge of the swimming pool!

How can these outside areas be under the dome? Confused

The curve of the dome also cuts right through Morbius' study. And I've yet to surmise what Gord means by this.

Quote:
The black circle represents the "upper" domed levels resting on the surrounding rock ledge features.

Forgive me, Gord, but . . . what "upper" dome levels? There's only one dome in the matte painting (with two stories), and the first floor of the house is on ground level no matter how you look at it. I still don't understand what you mean when you make reference to that aspect of your concepts.

However, the statement below is quite accurate, and it does indeed argue well for the idea that the house is NOT being viewed from main entrance, as I've always supposed.

Gord Green wrote:
Whether the artist was asked to paint the front or back of the house is irrelevant, it certainly looks like the back (kind of side and back ) because it has NO sign of the features shown in the movie of the front entrance and the pool is oriented on the right side when viewed from that point of view.

My suggestion, and it is just that, co-ordinates both the features of the painting with the blueprint and finished set. The painting IS accurate, but only if you accept that it is a view from the rear of the residence.

If we agreed to call the "front of the house" the area at the main entrance, then Gord is stating (very clearly Very Happy) that the house is being viewed from the [u]right side[/i], if you're standing in the forecourt facing the main entrance.

But I don't see how the matte painting can be the "back of the house" when said house is not a dome-shaped structure to start with. The lack of recognizable features when comparing the set and the matte painting can't just be explained by saying we're looking at the wrong side.

Hey . . . maybe it's just a HALF-A-DOME, and the other side is just like the set! Wink

Wayne, your "scaling and rotating" picture has real merit!

However, I think your mistaken in one minor point: the dot of blue is in the wrong place to be the pool of water along the edge of the forecourt in the blueprint.

The pool on the actual set is so tiny I had to get out the DVD and look for it when the crewmen arrive for lunch. It's so small that in this shot it's almost completely eclipsed by Morbius' ass! Laughing

And on the blueprint, it's located on the far side of the forecourt from the POV you indicated . . . not way out in front of the house, just to the left of the extension.

However, gentlemen, despite both of your best efforts to prove that the matte painting agrees with the blueprints and the set, it's still obvious that the set was not designed or built under a dome. All the views from inside the house clearly indicate that no part of it is within a dome-shaped structure.

I still contend that the painting should be viewed as a work of art which the artist simply rendered his own way, and there is no evidence that he tried to match the blueprints. It's a complete different design that has nothing in common with the set, except for the shape of the pool. Sad

And finally, take at look this, guys.

I just noticed that the stairs leading up the bedrooms leads right to the inside face of the wall that overlooks the forecourt! Shocked

There's no room for the bedrooms above the Core unless the second floor extends out over the main entrance!

What do you guys make of THAT! Shocked

On the other hand, if we made it a bit larger then a second story above the forecourt would serve nicely as a "driveway canopy". Laughing

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne, I think your drawing showing the reference points in the blueprint and the painting is perfect!

To your point Bud that the draftsmen who prepared the blueprint never considered that there was a domed structure above the first level,,,,You're absolutely right! However, the painting shows it as such. My speculations were only about how this COULD be co-ordinated.

The argument about "front and back entrance" reminded me of a vacation our family took a few years ago.

We toured the Colonial era plantations along the James River in Virginia. They all had a feature worth mention.

Take for example Carter's Grove Plantation in Williamsburg.

There was a formal "front door" on the side of the house facing the river. No doubt this was to accomadate guests arriving by boat from the docks by the river. On the opposite side of the house was an equally ornate and formal "front door" facing the road to serve guests arriving by coach or horseback.

Both entrances were equivelent in design and formalness. Both led into a "reception area". Both fit the general description as the "front" of the house, yet they were on opposite sides of the building.

This method was used in all of the other mansions along the river. My point is the term "front door" is mainly a colloquial expedient and not a absolute concept written in stone. Morbius's residence is not by any terms a " standard definition of a house on a residential block of land." It is a unique building on a unique location.

Next point Wayne, is that a "load bearing " structure need not necessarily be a massive structure. Although the tensile strengths of Krellein Adamantium is unknown, it could well be that a one foot diameter shaft could well support the section of upper dome and be located about where I speculated. Of course the draftsmen of the blueprint weren't thinking along those lines. They were designing a movie set, not an actual structure.

How the first level is cut into the surrounding rock ledge is illustrated by this picture of one of Frank LLoyd Wright's buildings at Taleisn West in Arizona :

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:
As for the Frank Lloyd Wright house, I could be mistaken, but I think that wherever a house's front door is located (regardless of all other factors) would generally be considered the "front of the house".

I'm just saying that regardless of any other considerations, the front of a house (or building of any kind) is determined by whichever side features the "main entrance".

My bad. I was going by your earlier statements:

Bud wrote:
The front of any house is what you're looking at from the road when you drive past it!

The front door faces the road...

Bud wrote:
Speaking of canopies, awnings, etc., I'm afraid you're mistaken when you said the green circle I drew is just the floor in the Core.

My green circle is actually the round portion of both the ceiling AND the floor of the Core . . . inside the house —

Okay, right. A circular feature in the ceiling matches the circular core of the floor. Now where were we?

Gord wrote:

Bud wrote:
Forgive me, Gord, but . . . what "upper" dome levels? There's only one dome in the matte painting (with two stories), and the first floor of the house is on ground level no matter how you look at it. I still don't understand what you mean when you make reference to that aspect of your concepts.

I think “upper dome levels” refers to the second story under the dome. (Remember the dome in the conceptual sketch?) Thinking more about the curved stairs today… The floorplan doesn’t deal with any upper floor detail. The movie and therefore the sets were all about the ground floor. But we know there was a second floor because of the stairs. The floorplan shows the stairs curving up to a landing, then taking a turn to the left and continuing up to the upper floor. We know from the matte painting and the conceptual sketch that the house has a central dome, the dome element being approved by the Unit Art Director. Now as for the stairs, the dome would have to be large enough to provide headroom for anybody using the stairs, both the curved flight and the straight flight heading in toward the center. So the dome at the level of the stair landing (top of the curved flight) would need to be about this big:

(I carved out a section over the forecourt because we don’t see any shadow cast over the forecourt in the movie.)

Bud wrote:
But I don't see how the matte painting can be the "back of the house" when said house is not a dome-shaped structure to start with. The lack of recognizable features when comparing the set and the matte painting can't just be explained by saying we're looking at the wrong side.

Sure it can. The lack of recognizable features is due to the set being open (not completed; as drawn on the floorplan) on the side we’re seeing in the matte painting from the outside. I’ve pointed this out a couple times already, so let me make the point stronger. The side of the house we’re viewing in the matte painting is unspecified on the floorplan. There were no walls on that side of the set. Therefore it was up to the matte artist to fill in the missing exterior details on that side.

As for the house not being a dome-shaped structure, how do we know the C-57D’s exterior is being portrayed correctly with a domed top? The set plans certainly don’t show a dome! At best it has a truncated cone sitting on top of vertical sides. And it’s not even a full circle.

The saucer’s exterior set doesn’t even have a top; just a matte painting. Are we leaving it up to some moronic, rogue painter to tell us what the top of the ship looks like? I say NO! That’s probably where the model makers got their misguided ideas for building the ship miniatures, too!

Bud wrote:
I think your mistaken in one minor point: the dot of blue is in the wrong place to be the pool of water along the edge of the forecourt in the blueprint.

The pool on the actual set is so tiny I had to get out the DVD and look for it when the crewmen arrive for lunch. It's so small that in this shot it's almost completely eclipsed by Morbius' ass!

(And what shot is that?) But if the painter was working from the floorplan rather than the constructed set, it looks like a substantial body of water.

Bud wrote:
And on the blueprint, it's located on the far side of the forecourt from the POV you indicated . . . not way out in front of the house, just to the left of the extension.

WTF are you talking about? The end of the forecourt pool in the floorplan lines up with the left end of the blue spot in the matte painting. I showed that with a blue extension line. Therefore, it is “way out in front of the house”.

Bud wrote:
I just noticed that the stairs leading up the bedrooms leads right to the inside face of the wall that overlooks the forecourt! Shocked

There's no room for the bedrooms above the Core unless the second floor extends out over the main entrance!

What do you guys make of THAT!

See my dome diagram above.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Bud wrote:

My green circle is actually the round portion of both the ceiling AND the floor of the Core . . . inside the house.

Okay, right. A circular feature in the ceiling matches the circular core of the floor. Now where were we?

I was just pointing out the fact that you tried to include the larger circle which describes the awning outside the house, when I was referring the floor plan and the size of the core.

Don't be so defensive, Wayne. You made a mistake. Big deal.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne, I think you've come across the answer to how the upper level may look.

This "cut out" section over the entrance area works!
It could make the upper level floor plan something like this:

(And remember....The dome doesn't "cut through" the office area....It's ABOVE it. That pesky extension structure on the painting would be OVER the office and tunnel entrance.)

It would include two bedrooms (one large one for Alta, a smaller one for Morbius.), a bathroom in each, a kitchen area with dining and a "sitting" area with comfy couch. The front area over the entrance would be a large window with the great views of the Altarian terrain.

Another "wacky idea".... But then ALL science fiction is based on wacky ideas!
Well thought out discussions by all!

Shall we move on?

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Shall we move on?

Ready when you are! (I'm tired of staying up late.)

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I'd like to thank Bud and Wayne for their input in this discussion!

I have a confession of sorts to make.

A long held desire of mine ...A real fantasy, dream if you will... is that if I ever won the Powerball Lottery and won a disgusting amount of money the one thing I would do is have constructed in the Arizona desert a 100% identical reproduction of Morbius's residence! Solar powered and spring fed , a real self sufficient habitat! Available mainly from helicopter out of Sky Harbor and a real monument to FORBIDDEN PLANET.

Included of course would be replica of Robby, the Krell lab, tunnel and all! (I would forgo the Krell furnace area....Millions of $ only go so far!) I may not include tigers...but having a real Alta skinny dipping in the pool is not out of the question! LOL!

But the floor plan as shown always reminded me of a covered patio area, not a real living space. I mean the dining table looks like a snack bar and the chairs and couches look more like patio furniture than real living areas.

A spring fed pool and properly selected plants and trees would complete the fantasy.

But … What about the real living area? As shown in the movie and blueprints there was a real tantalizing hint of so much more.

Thank you guys!
Your input has been both educational and enlightening.

And ...I promise...If I ever get to acctually do such a thing you are both invited to come and visit!

Last edited by Gord Green on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 73 of 143

Jump to: