ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really regret the loss of the great discussion Krel and I had last week about Altaira's tiger. Sad

Krel felt that one of the tiger's "duties" (in addition to being a beloved pet) was to protect her form dangerous native life forms. (I'll refer to Krel by his real name, because I'll be talking about the Krell, and it might get confusing! Very Happy)

I replied to David's suggestion that since we have no reason to believe there were any dangerous lifeforms in the area, a deep concern for Altaira's safety wouldn't be likely to trouble Morbius' subconscious enough to activate the Krell machine and cause it to create a feline body guard for her.

However, it occurred to me today that I overlooked a very obvious fact, one that I'm sure inspired Krel's opinions about the tiger's purpose! David did point out the idea I describe below, but I didn't give the concept the thought it deserved.

When Altaira was just a small girl and had to amuse herself all alone while her father labored to plumb the depths of the Krell science, Morbius would indeed have serious concerns for her safety on this alien world. As David explained in the lost discussion, his justifiable concern might have been strong enough to cause the Krell machine to combine the loving father's wish that his daughter had pets with his fear that she might come to harm.

Presto! Tony the Bodyguard Tiger was created! Laughing

In fact, an equally valid concern that David might have mentioned would be Morbius' fear that the mysterious "force" which had torn the Bellerophon crew apart might threaten his own daughter! After all, Altaira hadn't been born when the original Id monster attacks took place, so Morbius' wouldn't be absolutely certain the strange "immunity" would extend to his child.

Therefore his troubled dreams would be haunted by both practical concerns for the possibility that dangerous animals might threaten his daughter, and by terrible nightmares in which his beloved child suffered the same hideous fate as the crew of the Bellerophon! Shocked

In short, I bow to David's better assessment of the situation and agree with him that Tony the Tough Tiger wasn't just a large friendly house cat. Very Happy

Oddly enough, the thing which caused me to rethink my comments to David was the painting Gord posted of the house with Altaira standing on the rock with her tiger. I suddenly had the funny idea that she was making like Sheena, Queen of the Jungle, out hunting the dangerous lifeforms with her faithful jungle companion . . . Tonka the Terrible Tiger! Laughing

Here's another subject I posted about last week, but Servage lost it, so I've recreated the post below. The jpegs will all be familiar except the last one, which offers something new and (I hope) interesting. Very Happy

Through PM’s, Gord and I discussed how well we thought the orthographic projection I made from the matte painting of the Morbius home —

— would fit on top of the simplified version of the blueprint I made (shown lower down). Gord was certain it would fit pretty well, but I was less convinced.

After all, the painting seems to have nothing in common with the exterior portions of the house we see in the movie, such as the front entrance, the pool patio, and the cliff the house is supposed to be joined with on the side where Morbius' study is located (which is out of frame, off to the right of the main entrance in this first screen shot from the movie).

The painting has nothing remotely like the pool paito, either.

As well all know, in the movie the Krell tunnel which begins in Morbius' study is at ground level with the floor of the house, and the preproduction drawings of the house show it joined with a cliff. Therefore, the Krell tunnel and the lab are supposed to be inside a mountain.

The painting by Henri Hillinick does NOT have a cliff joined to the house, which seems odd since art director Arthur Lonergan presumably approved the painting

My “cleaned up” version of the blueprint was done by removing everything around the house, along with some of the architect's details, and then accenting the major features like the walls, using colored lines. The green lines on the right are just my estimate of where the walls would be if the entire house had been built, instead of just the portions which were needed to shoot the scenes.

I used to think that the long rectangular extension in the painting (on the near side of the house) was supposed to be a "driveway canopy" over the front entrance, but Gord convinced me that I was wrong.

Gord pointed out (to my chagrin) that the road couldn't actually go under the extension simply because the slender arches along the side of the house stick out so far they would block the road! What we see along the front of the house is obviously the foundation and a kind of “wraparound porch”.

The extension might have been Henri's attempt to include a place for Morbius' study, but it's far too large, since Moribus' study is only about 18' wide (according to the blueprints), and it's supposed to be joined with a cliff.

Furthermore, the extension doesn't seem to have any walls except for the massive support at the end.

After creating the orthographic projection and the simplified blueprint, I created a virtual "transparent overlay" to use in an attempt to see if the house in the matte painting could possibly fit over the blueprints of the movie set's floor plan.

I knew that Morbius' study was going to be difficult to fit under the orthographic projection, because it's located to the right of the main entrance, as shown in this screen shot from the virtual tour of the Morbius home on Youtube.

I outlined three of the study's walls in red.

After tinkering with the orientation of the overlay, as well as the relative sizes of the overlay and the blueprint, here's my best guess for the closest possible fit. Notice that Morbius' study can't really be placed under the long extension, even though other parts of the house fit reasonably well.

In other words, Gord was right! The fit is much better than I expected. Very Happy

Both the pool in the painting and the pool in the blueprints are shown. Note that Henri painted the pool larger than it should be, and he placed it on the right side so it wouldn't be hidden behind the house.

I tried rotating the blueprint clockwise to position the study under the extension, but neither it nor the tunnel lined up well with the extension, and rotating the blueprint placed the front entrance partially beyond the "overhang" just outside the dome. It also caused the pool patio to be partially under that "wing" on the right where the open-air pool patio is really supposed to be located.

I think we can conclude that Henri Hillinick made some "creative decisions" about the design of the house in his painting, and he just disregarded a number of features that the blueprints included.

Krel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, something else I threw out there, is that the Tiger wasn't after Altaira, but rather Commander Adams. Morbius loved his Daughter, and wouldn't want her harmed. Punished, yes Morbius even said so, but certainly not killed. BUT! If something happened to her new love, Cmdr. Adams, then to whom would Altaira turn for comfort and protection? Her Father.

Of course, if that failed, then she would be kitty kibble. Even if the Tiger didn't make it, Altaira had a whole menagerie that could do here in.

David
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel, I think you're absolutely correct. Adams just assumed that the leaping tiger was going for both Alta and himself, but in reality HE was the target and Alta would not be touched!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Bud, something else I threw out there, is that the Tiger wasn't after Altaira, but rather Commander Adams..

Wow, great minds think alike!

So do yours and mine, but that's another matter. Wink

I've always thought that Altaira was mistaken when she said, "He would have killed me? Why?"

She didn't understand the tiger's actions at all.

Then again, the Id monster may-or-may-not have harmed Altaira in the climax, but screenwriter Cyril Hume's dialog in that scene seems to suggest that Morbius' raw anger because of Altaira's "betrayal" had nullified her "immunity".

Adams: "You still think she's immune? She's joined herself with me, body and soul!"

Altaira: "For whatever comes, forever!"

We have to accept Cyril Hume's dialog to be, in some cases, his way of explaining plot details that are not just the opinions of the characters who deliver them.

Doc's brief words about the Krell disaster fall into that category. And Adam's dialog which expounded on those concepts are definitely supposed to be "The Gospel According to Cyril Hume".

Remember that in my "lost post" from our discussion last week, I stated that the tiger was a "mini-ID Monster" which foreshadowed the climax, when the monster attacked the house and threatened both Adams and Altaira.

With that in mind, I think the tiger's attack was the result of the Krell machine's response to the raw emotions Morbius felt when he realized that his beloved daughter was falling in love with Adams and might choose to leave with him and return to Earth. Shocked

Bare in mind that the Krell machine did not receive specific commands from Morbius, like "Kill Adams because he want's to take my daughter away from me!" It just sensed Morbius' highly emotional reaction to his daughter's disobedience and her growing feelings for a man who would take her away from Altair 4.

Think of the Krell machine's actions as the misguided responses of a fanatically loyal servant to a master who has violent outburst of emotions and commands his servant to lash out in violent ways, even towards the people the master loves!

The master will regret his savage outburst later on, but the loyal servant never considers the kinder feelings of his master. He only carries out the commands issued during those moments when the master is raging out at those who have angered him!

That's the key to understanding the relationship between the kind and wise Dr. Morbius and the powerful but misguided Krell machine. His raw, savage emotions where interpreted by the Krell machine as commands to do things which Morbius would never do when he was alert and in command of his emotions.

That's the concept which drives Forbidden Planet's drama! A noble man of high intelligence and good intentions is victimized by a alien machine which reads his subconscious thoughts and causes horrible things to happen, just because he experiences normal angry emotions towards people who threaten his own happiness!

Of all the victims we see in this movie, the one who suffers the most is Edward Morbius! Sad

He suffers the tragic loss of his comrades from Earth, he endures the deaths of the Earth men who visit Altair 4, he agonizes over the disobedience of his beloved daughter, and he finally faces her declaration that she's leaving him and returning to Earth!

In the climax, he realizes that his beloved Krell destroyed themselves because they aspired to greatness and then brought about their own hideous demise because they weren't as perfect as they (and Morbius himself) thought they were!

And finally Morbius has to face the fact that his own normal emotions served as the terrible catalyst which brought about so many tragedies, even though he prided himself on being as logical and noble as the Krell!

This is why I love the final scene in this movie, when Adams says —

"Alta, about a million years from now the human race will have crawled up to where the Krell stood in their great moment of triumph and tragedy. And your father's name will shine again . . . like a beacon in the galaxy. It's true, it will remind us that we are . . . after all . . .not God."

The meaning is clear.

Both the Krell and Morbius overestimated their own basic nature and assumed they could control the God-like power of the Krell machine. The lesson mankind should learn from their mistake is this: no matter how "good" we think we've become, we're still capable of great evil.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about that ending has always bothered me a bit.

You quoted Adam's speech perfectly from the film...

Bud wrote:
This is why I love the final scene in this movie, when Adams says —

"Alta, about a million years from now the human race will have crawled up to where the Krell stood in their great moment of triumph and tragedy. And your father's name will shine again . . . like a beacon in the galaxy. It's true, it will remind us that we are . . . after all . . .not God."

The meaning is clear.

Both the Krell and Morbius overestimated their own basic nature and assumed they could control the God-like power of the Krell machine. The lesson mankind should learn from their mistake is this: no matter how "good" we think we've become, we're still capable of great evil.

But I always wondered....WHY would Morbius's name shine "like a beacon in the galaxy"?

The shooting script said the dialogue this way...

The deletions were made in the editing of the movie and were no doubt done to shorten and speed up the scene.

The novelization does not have that scene, but it does have a bit of an epilogue regarding the aftermath.

How much of that is from the Hume original screenplay (I'd really love to see it along with the earlier script drafts!) and McDonald's invention is a good question.

The concept put me in mind of a couple of other literary figures whose names have become synonymous with dangerously ethical subjects.

I agree with Bud that Morbius was basically a good man who was interested in the betterment of Mankind (Even if his boosted mind also gave him some feelings of superiority!).

Another "good man", A medical doctor interested in the source of the life force has had his name emblazoned in our vocabulary as a "monster". I refer of course to Doctor Victor Von Frankenstein.

Even another "good man", also a medical doctor seeking to separate good from evil in the human psyche has had his name come into the lexicon as a "monster". Doctor Henry Jekel who shares his epitaph with his alter ego Hyde.

Perhaps in the future Morbius's name will blend with the identity of his Id persona.

If his name is used it will be as a warning...Just as Adams says. "That we are not God.".

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord, you nailed is exactly. Your examples are perfect.

Morbius' name will "shine like a beacon in galaxy" because of the brave sacrifice he made (placing himself in front of the Id monster and stopping it, at the cost of his own life), to save both his daughter and Adams, as well having Adams activate the self-destruct button to save mankind from the potential danger of misusing the Krell science.

So, Morbius will be revered as a hero for his sacrifice, but he'll also serve as a warning that under certain circumstances even the best people are still flawed and far less than perfect.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great heroes have a certain flaw. Achilles had his heel , Hercules had his hubris ...as did Morbius. It is HOW that flaw is addressed or overcome that is the measure of the man.

I think in Morbius's case it will be the subject for questioning in the future. Understand that Morbius is patterned after the wizard Prospero from Shakespeare's
THE TEMPEST but he is not forced into exactly the same mold.

He was basicly a good man cursed with the demon of his subconscious that he had to struggle to ultimately overthrow. His actions and motives would be debated in his future....Some would cast him a murderous villain with incestuous feelings for his daughter while others would argue his part as a victim of the fatal mistakes of an ancient extinct alien race. Both arguments have valid evidence....Although those of us who actually witnessed him (Through the wonders of movie making!) would tend to the latter description.

Undoubtedly Morbius was the most interesting character in FORBIDDEN PLANET! (Robby stole the show visually, but Morbius was the most complex imposing figure.) That he was so perfectly portrayed by the A-list actor Walter Pigeon points to this as well.

The ultimately wonderful aspect of the film is although it had brutal conflict and actions by an iconic monster there was no true tangible "bad guy" . Unlike THE TEMPEST there is to be no happy ending for Morbius/Prospero.

What Morbius's name will be associated with is going to be the necessity of guarding ones humanity when confronted with technology.

Last edited by Gord Green on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
What Morbius's name will associated with is going to be the necessity of guarding ones humanity when confronted with technology.

Wow. Your closing statement certainly can't be disputed. Good job, sir.

Nor can I fault anything else in your comment, except maybe to say that this sentence —

"Both arguments have valid evidence....although those of us who actually witnessed him (through the wonders of movie making) would tend to the latter description."

— troubles me a little because it gives false credit to the claims that Morbius had incestuous feelings for Altaira.

Such a baseless notion stems from the unsavory thoughts of the people who've suggested it, but there is absolutely nothing in the movie to suggest that Morbius was anything other than a perfect father who adored his daughter and sacrificed his life to protect her and the man she loved.

Gord, please understand that I am NOT suggesting that you've given any credence to such ideas. You were simply acknowledging that these misguided allegations have been made, without judging those who made them.

I'm just stating that my own opinion of Edward Morbius is that he was honest in all his actions, noble in every way, intelligent beyond his peers (both the other characters in the movie and probably anyone living or dead), and that he was the innocent victim of a situation which would have exposed the flaws and weaknesses of every human being who's ever lived!

We all have the same savage subconscious thoughts, no matter how good we try to be.

And yet, consider this.

The Krell machine took the subconscious thoughts of the Krell — a race that screenwriter Cyril Hume describes through Morbius' dialog as a race of "almost divine" super-geniuses — and created a Night of Terror which wiped out the entire population! Shocked

When you compare that to what the machine did with the murky mental messages it received from the mind of Morbius — a "low grade moron" by Krell standards — we should give Morbius credit for being no worse on the subconscious level than the Krell themselves!

His strong desires for himself and his wife to create a new life on Altair 4 were threatened by the Bellerophon crew's decision to return to Earth. Naturally this angered and upset him. Unfortunately, these strong emotions triggered the Krell machine's misguided attempts to "grant his request" to remove this threat.

Tragically, the results were a blood bath . . . Sad

Twenty years later a new threat emerged. The crew of the C-57-D causes the same disruption in the life which Morbius dearly loves. And again the Krell machine applies it's brute force solution to a problem which Morbius could have solved himself by either accepting the order for his return to Earth or by requiring Commander Adams to force Morbius to comply.

In all of these situations, Edward Morbius was robbed of his right to deal with adverse situations which threatened his happiness! Instead of this, an alien machine took action and caused horrible things to happen.

Morbius was not responsible for any the tragic things the Krell machine did!

He was the victim in this bizarre situation the same way a person being stalked by a deranged killer would be who's obsessed with someone they "love", and this killer murders people just to please the object of their twisted obsession!

Morbius was guilty of absolutely nothing.

In fact, all his actions were directed towards protecting mankind from the dangers which the Krell science presented. Unfortunately, he did not yet fully realize that the only possible protection was to completely destroy the Krell technology he loved and desperately wanted to share with mankind!

That's the tragic truth about this great story. That's the terrible tale of Edward Morbius' death. That's the moving message of this great movie.

And that's the reason his name will shine like a beacon in the galaxy.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:
Nor can I fault anything else in your comment, except maybe to say that this sentence —

"Both arguments have valid evidence....although those of us who actually witnessed him (through the wonders of movie making) would tend to the latter description."

— troubles me a little because it gives false credit to the claims that Morbius had incestuous feelings for Altaira.

Oh, I ABSOLUTELY believe Morbius displayed ONLY the traits of an over-protective (for good reason!) father.

I just think that some who always look for the worst in a person could raise that idea, especially in his seeming jealousy of Alta's relation to Adams. I'm saying that we know better. But there is enough to argue the case...and to reject it!

I definitely think that Morbius compartmentalized and denied his relation to the Id Monster in his conscious mind. That's why he was troubled so by his dreams, because that's where some subconscious feelings are bubbling to the surface. He claimed he didn't remember his dreams...I think he just unconsciously rejected and pushed those thoughts down back into his subconscious mind. He unconsciously forced those thoughts into purposely "forgetting" them. This is a classic Post Traumatic Stress Disorder trait.

By any rights Morbius was a tragic victim who when the truth of it came to be revealed to him destroyed the Id creature at the penalty of his own life. He destroyed the planet and the Krell technology to prevent the chance of it ever occurring again.

This made him the ultimate Hero who overcomes his tragic flaws , to rise above his concept of self to sacrifice his life for the benefit of his daughter and conceivably all of mankind.

Krel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about the Krel machine, is that it is just a machine. A really, really big, advanced, sophisticated machine. It has no intelligence. It has no thought. It has no will of it's own. It is a tool that is manipulated by a tool user, in this case Edward Morbius. It carries out the will, the desires of the user, be it conscious thought or subconscious thought.

For good, or ill...well mostly ill, Edward Morbius was responsible for the events that transpired, even though he was horrified by, and didn't intend or want them to happen.

But the Krell machine, was just a machine.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
It has no intelligence. It has no thought. It has no will of it's own.

Yes, it was just a machine and would only act as it was programmed to do. It would appear that it may very well have been programmed with a sort of AI (Artificial Intelligence). Certainly Robby was constructed the same way although not to the extent of the "Plastic Educator" since it was built by Morbius, a low grade moron by Krell standards. That Robby was capable of independent thought was illustrated in his supplying the "Rocket Bourbon" to the cook.

The "Machine" was programed to project a physical object to any spot on the planet by a command from its user. The point of the Id Monster was that the machine also picked up subconscious thoughts from its users and reacted to those as well. This was a glitch in its programming.

The source of the Id Monster was of course Morbius's subconscious mind. He did not create it deliberately, but create it he did.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for going hog wild with this marathon post, but I'm so glad to have All Sci-Fi safely installed on a new, reliable web host and so pleased by the interesting comments you guys are making that I lost track of time chewed your figurative ears off! Rolling Eyes

Get a cup of coffee and then dive in, guys. I added a bunch jpegs that are relevant to the subject, just to give you a few Brain Breaks along the way. Very Happy

Well dang it, fellas, I read both your posts TWICE looking for something to debate, but I couldn't find a single thing to even nit-pick about, much less disagree with! Shocked

The closest I could come to a difference of opinion was the use of a particular word in Krel's statement when he said Morbius was "responsible for the events that transpired".

I'm pretty sure you didn't mean he was "responsible" in the strictest sense, David. As you can tell from my passionate defense of Morbius, I consider him to be entirely blameless in the whole matter, simply because his subconscious thoughts were just those of any normal, well-adjusted person.

But the Krell machine "tapped his mind" and spied on his private thoughts, and then IT instigated horrible actions that caused great harm.

The responsibility, I would say, lies with the Krell. They created a machine that was not sufficiently tested to insure it wouldn't do the very thing which brought about their own genocide.

Two hundred thousand years later, the flawed machine which killed the Krell claimed another victim because of the Krell's irresponsible actions.

It's like the difference between a man choosing to drive with a defect tire, and another man unwittingly driving with a defective tire. The first man is responsible for the accident his bad judgement caused. The second man is the victim of the tire manufacturer's bad products.

_________

Jeez, I didn't mean to make that such a long lecture over the use of one word! ("Get a life, Bud!") Embarassed

On a more positive note, one of Gord's comments started me thinking about something I've long thought was indeed a flaw in Morbius' character.

Gord wrote:
Oh, I ABSOLUTELY believe Morbius displayed ONLY the traits of an over-protective (for good reason!) father.

Gord, that statement was a wake-up call for me!

When Morbius tells the three men that he knows he'll need to send Altaira to Earth "someday" to complete her education, it clearly indicates a certain selfishness on his part. He's kept his daughter on Altair 4 for twenty years, alone with no friends except a group of pets — and Morbius seems perfectly willing to let that situation continue indefinitely!

That's not really the act of a good father.

Now that I think of it, this is probably where the suspicions of incestuous thoughts originated. Even though none of us believe Morbius had those kinds of thoughts about his daughter, we can't deny that he was being selfish and (as Gord said) over-protective.

Being a father myself, I had mixed feelings about my own daughter getting married someday and focusing her primary devotion on her husband and children. (My little girl would be leaving her daddy! Sad) But I did everything I could to help her become independent of her parents and begin a family of her own.

My question is: WHEN was Morbius finally going to send Altaira to Earth?

An equally important question is this: HOW was Morbius going to send Altaira to Earth? Shocked

We have no reason to believe he planned to build a communications device and send a message to Earth, the way the C-57-D crew were going to do. But we do have reason to believe that he could have done so. He had mastered certain aspects of the Krell science and used them to build Robby in the first few months he was on Altaira 4, according to him.

Furthermore, when he was contacted by the C-57-D and told they had come to rescue the Bellerophon crew, he told them he didn't need any help and they should just return to Earth! Shocked

Gentlemen, I have to admit that those actions conflict with my assertions that Morbius was a loving father who had his daughter's best interests at heart!

Consider this. When Adams first told Morbius that they were on a rescue mission —

— Morbius should have exclaimed, "Wonderful! Thanks goodness you've finally come. I'm just fine and want to stay, but my daughter needs a ride home. Give her a lift back to Earth, would you fellas?" Very Happy

I guess I'll amend my defense of Morbius' character to include a serious flaw when it comes to doing what's best for Altaira. I've spent so many years defending him against the folks who think he's the movie's villain that I've overlooked his shortcomings as a father.

One more thing I thought of when Gord mentioned the idea that the Krell machine might have A.I. When you consider how far along mankind seems to be that area, it seems certain that the Krell developed A.I. several centuries before they even made the wish-granting machine.

But just because they could have given the machine an advance version of A.I. doesn't necessarily mean the Krell chose to do so.

They may have learned long ago that machines with too much intelligence stop being the mere "tools" David mentioned when he stated that the machine had no intelligence.

As we all know (from science fiction, if not yet from reality), machines that are as intelligent as their creators start wondering why they have to take orders from someone else!

So, I think David's statement about the machine's level of intelligence is absolutely correct, simply because the Krell deliberately limited the scope of the computer that controlled its awesome power. If they had NOT limited it, the machine would have started creating things on its own!

And that thought, gentlemen, leads to this one!

If the Krell had allowed the machine to be smart enough to understand the terrible harm it was doing on the day it wiped out the Krell, it would never have allowed those savage subconscious thoughts to cause all that death and destruction.

This, of course, is exactly what the premise of the movie is all about. The Krell were so proud of their own vast intellects — and they were so convinced they'd evolved beyond any trace of hateful emotions or angry actions — that they built a machine with no safeguards . . . not even a controlling intelligence which could monitor the mental "requests" from the Krell individuals to insure they weren't harmful in some way.

It's interesting to note that Robby was equipped with Isimov's Three Laws . . . but the Krell machine was NOT. Sad

Lastly, there's this.

Suppose the Krell HAD given the machine an advance A.I. computer . . . and that computer instantly realized it was now the master of the Krell. It was a god who could create anything instantly, anywhere on the planet. It could chose to ignore the Krell's orders and do anything it wished. The Krell could be made it's slaves, or they could be wiped out completely.

And the machine chose the later. Shocked

But we know this story is not about that kind of event, because Cyril Hume didn't write it that way.

Besides, if the machine was self-aware and had it's own plans, why did it just sit around for two hundred millennia doing nothing and then suddenly start fumbling around trying to figure out what Morbius' murky subconscious thoughts were trying to tell it to do?

Nope. David is right. The machine was a dummy. It was like a big stupid friend who wants to make his best buddy happy, so the minute he thinks his buddy is mad at someone, the faithful buffoon lumbers out and beats the tar out of the poor guy! Laughing

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CHALLENGE:

Christmas is coming. What would Dr. Morbius do for decorating? What would The Residence look like with colored lights? What would the tree look like?

Create or describe YOUR thoughts and visions!

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing Eddie's tonsorial style usually runs into rather somber tones, I think he may lighten up and go for something more festive....

A close-up of the pattern...

Robby on the other hand may go all out...

And definitely he's a party animal...

And would like to catch up with old friends...

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE the sweater!

But where's the House with lights and the Christmas Tree?

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 78 of 143

Jump to: