ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Altair IV probably has a thriving ecosystem, it just wasn't necessary for the movie to show it. It was that thought that made me consider, that Altaira's tiger might not be just a pet, but also a protector from native life.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood your comment. If I did, please disregard all the comments below. They represent my fervent defense of the concept that none of Altaira's pets are real animals!

Krel, please consider these important questions.

If the tiger and the other "pets" are not artificial creations which Morbius' subconscious caused the machine to make because he loved his daughter . . . this story is half as interesting and half as intelligent as I think it is! Shocked

If the only thing the Krell machine did was create the Id monster to kill people, the machine never demonstrates its true nature and its true potential . . . as Cyril Hume intended it to do!

If Morbius' statement that "the gauges register a little when the buck deer fight in the autumn and the birds fly over in the spring" doesn't mean that the Krell machine is using energy to create the animals — including the tiger — then what the hell DOES it mean? Confused

Krel, I can't help feeling that you're just not seeing importance in this story of the fact that the Krell machine was designed to do good things. And it did do good things for Morbius — but it ended up doing very bad things, for both Morbius and the Krell.

That's the most beautiful aspect of this story.

The fact that the magnificent machine faithfully served the Morbius family by doing whatever it could to interpret Morbius' fuzzy subconscious thoughts and grant his deepest desires is a dramatic re-living of the tragedy that occurred 200,000 years earlier when it was activated and received a barrage of subconscious thoughts from the super intelligent Krell!

Their subconscious thoughts were crystal clear. . . but they where also unexpectedly savage, and the machine had no choice but to obey their commands. The result was the extinction of these magnificent aliens, which screenwriter Cyril Hume described (through the dialog delivered by Morbius) as "this all but divine race".

Krel, the scene below is not meant to be taken as Morbius' opinion of the Krell, but as Cyril Hume's personal definition of them. It can't be refuted, because it's the words of the author, who describes his own literary creation.

If you and I don't agree on that, then we can't agree on much else about this movie.

__________________ Forbidden Planet (1956)

Please note Morbius' brief but significant silence at the 2:00 mark when Adams suggests that "the tiger and the deer" can be explained as descendants of the Krell specimens brought back from Earth.

Story wise I think a better interpretation is that Morbius just let the erroneous assumption pass because he'd been troubled for years by the sudden appearance of those animals and the inexplicable way the tiger was so loyal to Altaira!

He had no idea where those critters had suddenly come from when they showed up, many years earlier! Shocked

Any other explanation of the tiger and the other animals makes no sense, in my opinion.

But then . . . that's just my opinion. Confused

Krel

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is stated in the movie that Morbius is a loving Father. So he would, both consciously and unconsciously, want his Daughter to be safe. If they were any native wildlife that could be a danger to Altaira, then she would need a protector. And a Bengal Tiger makes one hell of a protector! Even if there were no native wildlife that could be a danger, he would still want a protector for any unforeseen danger. Little Altaira is heading for the chasm, the tiger heads her off, and herds her back to the house. The kid ain't getting past a tiger that weighs several hundred pounds.

Or it could just be that his subconscious thought his little girl would like a pretty stripped kitty along with her other playmates. It's just a what-if exercise.

I admit that my views are colored by having read the novelization, several times. I wonder if they ever filmed any scenes were they find out the animals were Morbius's creations.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Or it could just be that his subconscious thought his little girl would like a pretty stripped kitty along with her other playmates.

I wounder if they ever filmed any scenes were they find out the animals were Morbius's creations.

I'd really love to find a quote from Cyril Hume that verifies my theory about the animals, because I've harped about it for years, trying to convince fellow fans that the movie presents ample evidence that the critters are not real.

Concerning how it all came about, my pet theory (no pun intended) is that Morbius and little Altaira were studying Earth animals (or perhaps reading a children's story with cute illustrations of animals), and Altaira told her daddy that she wished she had some of the animals for pets.

She specifically states that the monkeys and the deer are "just so lovely, Daddy!" And, as you said, she also wants a 'pretty stripped kitty".

At some point after that, Morbius' concern for his daughter's lonely life on Altair 4 causes him to have a dream about his little girl playing in the garden with her amusing little monkey, her graceful deer . . . and her cuddly Bengal tiger. (Sounds just like a typical wacky dream, doesn't it?)

Just how and when the animals suddenly showed up outside the house is a matter for speculation, but it certainly must have puzzled the hell out of Morbius. If I were writing a screenplay for a prequel in which all this happened, I think I'd make it clear that Morbius didn't remember the dream. We all know how dreams tend to fade from our memories the moment we wake up, a very weird phenomenon which everyone experiences.

In the climax of the movie, Morbius even says, "What man can remember his own dreams?"

The reason I'm suggesting that Morbius doesn't remember is because we don't want him to look like an idiot when he didn't immediate say to himself, "Holy crap! I dreamed about this last night!"

But no matter which origin we give the tiger (Is it real, or is it Memorex?), we have two strange situations which defy explanation.

On the one hand, if the tiger was real, why would any responsible, caring adult trust his daughter around it? Morbius even said, "Outside the range of my daughter's influence it's still a deadly wild beast."

On the other hand, if Morbius suspects the tiger is NOT real, where does he think it came from? The movie's climax makes it abundantly clear that he was astounded when he realized that the Krell machine made "creation by mere thought" a reality.

So, it's not reasonable to assume that he knew the tiger was an artificial creation in view of his amazement at the end when he learns the truth about the Krell machine.

In short, I have no clue as to why Morbius was perfectly willing to let his adult daughter (much less his little girl) have a "dangerous wild beast" as a pet! Confused

Your description above concerning the tiger as a guardian for Altaira is well thought out. Good job, David. The only problem is that Morbius didn't know the machine had created the tiger specifically for Altaira, so from his point of view the biggest threat to his daughter's safety should have been . . . the tiger itself! Shocked

However, picture this scene from our imaginary "prequel".

The event with the picture book would occur when Altaira was about six. But Morbius doesn't have his dream about the animals until several years later, when Altair was about thirteen and she's no longer content to just be "Daddy's little girl". She's going through a period of rebellion, suffering from the years of loneliness and the hormonal changes caused by her emerging womanhood.

Because of this, Morbius is more concerned than ever about the fact that his teenage daughter has no friends, no social life, and no chance to feel emotional attachments to boys her own age.

During this time, Morbius' troubled dreams recall his young daughter's delight, years ago, at the thought of having pets. Naturally his feelings of fatherly possessiveness make the idea of her becoming interested in teenage boys troubling. So, he didn't dream about her having a boyfriend . . . who showed up the next day at the front door with flowers and candy and a handsome smile! Shocked

Frankly, I felt uncomfortable when my own daughter started dating.

(Note to my daughter, Ticket2theMoon: Don't work, Sweetheart, you're still Daddy's little girl. I'll get you a tiger for Christmas. Very Happy)

So, Morbius has one-or-more dreams of his teenage daughter having the pets she yearned for as a child. In the dream, she's happy . . . and Morbius isn't worried that she'll elope with the tiger! Laughing

The next morning, the monkey and the deer are discovered by Altair in the garden. She and her father are amazed at the discovery, and (as I said early) Morbius doesn't immediately remember the dream he had the night before.

Altaira might laughingly remind her father that when she was a little girl she wanted pets like these, and she'd add something like, "Remember, father? I even wanted a tiger!"

When the tiger shows a few days later, Morbius would be stunned by the "coincidence" — but having no clue that the tiger is artificial, he doesn't guess the truth.

But when Altaira cautiously demonstrates how tame the tiger is ("After all, Daddy, it isn't eating the monkey or the deer!"), Morbius slowly begins to accept that it can be trusted with his daughter. And perhaps he even thinks of the same things you described, David, about how the tiger could serve as a guardian for Altaira if other "wild animals" show up and prove to be dangerous.

So, there you have it. A possible way for the machine-made pets to enter the lives of the Morbius family. It's not perfect, but it's the best I can come up with, so feel free to revise it and fix it up.

Krel

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm perfectly fine with Morbius not consciously knowing that he made the animals for Altaira. As for why he was comfortable with child Altaira interacting with a 200 to 600 pound tiger that suddenly appeared, it's because he subconsciously knew that he had them created, and his strengthened subconscious would further alleviate any concerns he had. His subconscious would not let him be concerned, nor would it let him remember the things it did that violated his morals.

Different subject. Where did Morbius keep all the results of his research? Is is possible that Robby was his repository? If so, than the United Planets are going to get a big jump in knowledge when C-57-D gets back to Earth.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, I think your take is pretty much accurate.

How much of the input in the movie was Hume's and how much was Block and Adler's….even the director Wilcox's can only be surmised. I've never seen Hume's treatment for FATAL PLANET, so I just have to wonder.

However, the bottom line comes down to Morbius's denial of his part in the appearances of the animals and the Id Monster.

One thing I've wondered about too is how he constructed Robby and why. Robby is totally anthropomorphic. That is he is created as a Human form, not a Krellian form or even a strictly mechanical form. There wouldn't have been a blueprint handy for the construction.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got several great ideas here, and they inspired some interesting speculation. Cool

Krel wrote:
As for why he was comfortable with child Altaira interacting with a 200 to 600 pound tiger that suddenly appeared, it's because he subconsciously knew that he had them created . . .

Yep, I guess that's pretty much inarguable, because nothing else would explain his irrational trust in an animal he described as "a deadly wild beast".

On the other hand, I think we have a significant difference of opinion concerning this next statement.

Krel wrote:
His subconscious would not let him be concerned, nor would it let him remember the things it did that violated his morals.

I may be misunderstanding you, but my opinion of Morbius' part in all the death and destruction done by the Id monster is that Morbius did absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever.

Like the Krell, he was a highly moral person whose subconscious thoughts and emotional reactions to situations which upset or angered him were all perfectly normal.

The flaw was in the Krell machine, which was not supposed to react to such thoughts and emotions as if they were conscious and rational "commands". The Krell were not aware that they even had those savage emotions, and thus they didn't design the machine to differentiate between conscious and subconscious thoughts!

The point of the story is that absolutely NOBODY is "good enough" to control those deep emotions. We all have them.

But poor Dr. Edward Morbius was victimized by the situation, because the Krell machine took those normal, entirely human subconscious emotions and responded to them as if he were sending out commands to do horrible things.

Think of it like this.

We've all stubbed our toes on the leg of a chair from time to time, right? It hurts like hell, and the intense pain makes us go a bit nuts for several seconds. During those seconds we hate that goddam chair so bad we want to smash it against the wall! Evil or Very Mad

Rational people recover quickly and don't start busting up the furniture. But during those few seconds they're lucky they don't have a blindly obedient robot standing nearby, reading their thoughts about the destruction of that traitorous chair which nearly broke their poor pinky toe! Shocked

That's sort of what happened to Dr. Morbius. This intelligent and highly moral man was placed in a tragic situation which neither he nor any person who's ever lived could have prevented!

In the climax, when he shouts, "Guilty! Guilty! My evil self is at that door, and I have no power to stop it!" he's agonizing over the fact his basic human nature is the catalyst of the Krell machine's actions . . . and no one can change their basic human nature.

David, he was not accusing himself of doing "things that violated his morals". He was regretting the fact that he wasn't in perfect and complete control of his own subconscious thoughts . . . and as a result, his beloved daughter was about to be murdered by the misguided Krell machine.

Look at it this way, David. If I was the carrier of a virulent disease but was not aware of it, and I gave the disease to my family and friends, I would feel guilty for having been the indirect cause of their deaths. My guilt would not be caused by something I deliberately did to make them sick, my guilt would stem from the simple fact that I'd had the misfortune to be the carrier of the disease.

Consider the closing line in the movie by Commander Adams, who says this to Altaira.

"Alta, about a million years from now the human race will have crawled up to where the Krell stood in their great moment of triumph and tragedy. And your father's name will shine again, like a beacon in the galaxy. It's true, it will remind us that we are, after all, not God."

In other words, her father's discovery of the Krell machine and his efforts to understand it will be praised. But his dedicated attempts to unlock the Krell's potentially dangerous secrets cost him his life. And the hard lesson which his cruel fate — as well as the Krell's — teaches us is that we can never assume we've become "perfect".

Krel wrote:
Different subject. Where did Morbius keep all the results of his research? Is is possible that Robby was his repository? If so, than the United Planets are going to get a big jump in knowledge when C-57-D gets back to Earth.

That's a very interesting idea! Very Happy

Perhaps Morbius designed Robby to serve as a "backup" for his main database, sort of like a walking-talking flash drive!

Or he might have programmed Robby to connect with his database automatically (or when he was commanded to do so) and download a backup if Morbius felt that his work was endangered in any way — such as a system failure.

Morbius told Adams that he planned to share certain portions of the Krell science with mankind, but that he would withhold other portions he deemed too dangerous. Because of Morbius' vast knowledge of the Krell science (and because of his expanded intellect), I actually think he had the right idea!

Based on his extensive knowledge of the Krell technology, no one else would be more qualified to make those decisions. And he was willing to shoulder this awesome responsibility for the good of mankind, a task which — if he ever made a mistake — might have disastrous consequences!

At the very least, Morbius should have been put in charge of a carefully selected research team who would come to Altair 4, study the Krell science, and share the portions of it with Earth which the Project Director (Dr. Edward Morbius) deemed appropriate! Cool

(This would be a great idea for sequel if they hadn't blown up the planet at the end of the movie. Oh well . . . )

David, to me the noble and unselfish attitude demonstrated by Morbius' proved his deep commitment towards making sure that mankind DID benefit from the Krell science . . . and DID NOT suffer whatever strange fate wiped them out!

Remember, Morbius did not yet know just what happened to the Krell, but his caution proved to be entirely justified.

That's why I admire Morbius so much, and why it's so tragic that the flaw in the Krell machine caused his death the same way it did for the "almost divine race" which he studied with such selfless devotion for twenty years, all alone on an alien planet!

Okay, now let's discuss your suggestion about Robby!

What if Morbius had already uploaded the first installment of the Krell science he wanted to share, and he was considering the idea of sending Robby to Earth so he could present the data to the scientists there?

Robby would serve as a tangible example of what could be achieved with the Krell technology, something which Adams described as being "beyond the capabilities of all Earth's physical science" — and which Morbius said was simply something he'd "tinkered together during my first months up here. Child's play." Very Happy

What I'm suggesting is that even though Robby's memory banks may not have contained Morbius' entire database, it might have held the portion he felt mankind could presently handle.

Morbius told Adams and Ostrow that after spending twenty years considering the problem, he had come to the "unalterable conclusion that mankind is unfit, as yet, to receive such knowledge — such almost limitless power!"

Bear in mind, David, that this wise statement was made by Morbius before he'd even learned the tragic reason for the Krell's extinction! Hell, Morbius won his argument right there! He knew that mankind was not yet mature enough to handle the power of the Krell technology, and he desperately wanted to protect us from it's dangers.

But he also knew that it would be a great tragedy to simply deny mankind ALL the Krell secrets! So, Morbius was willing to "stand guard" between us and the dangers of this "almost limitless power" so we could benefit from the less lethal aspects of the Krell science.

David, all these aspects of Forbidden Planet have convinced me over the last 63 years since I first saw it when I was eight years old that Dr. Edward Morbius is truly worthy of the remarks which Commander Adams made at end of the movie.

"Alta, about a million years from now the human race will have crawled up to where the Krell stood in their great moment of triumph and tragedy. And your father's name will shine again, like a beacon in the galaxy. It's true, it will remind us that we are, after all, not God."

By the way, I found this amusing YouTube clip of what appears to be a copy of Robby (it might be one of Malone's copies, but the finish is rather dull), delivering "a personalized message beamed in to the cinema from Robby The Robot for our 60th anniversary screening of FORBIDDEN PLANET on May 10th" at The Royal Cinema.

_ Robby The Robot introduces FORBIDDEN PLANET

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri May 24, 2019 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

… he'd been troubled for years by the sudden appearance of those animals and the inexplicable way the tiger was so loyal to Altaira!

He had no idea where those critters had suddenly come from when they showed up, many years earlier!

Perhaps it is because in 1956 Orson Welles became interested in art forger Elmyr de Hory. In 1972 Welles was hired to edit a documentary by François Reichenbach about him (Elmyr de Hory.) The film grew over time to encompass de Hory, as well as de Hory's biographer Clifford Irving, who was revealed to be a forger himself. Welles used these circumstances to produce a meditation on the nature of fakery. Part of Welles' documentary was film from the late 1940s that made headlines around the Hollywood art circles with these images:

This is not a Bengal tiger (very dangerous) but a still dangerous but more "tamable" Siberian tiger.

(Also smaller. These are often replaced for Bengals in movies & TV shows.)

During this time period many Hpllywood people tried to adopt tigers. (A VERY bad idea!) Cyril Hume wrote several of the M-G-M Tarzan scripts [Tarzan the Ape Man (1932), Tarzan Escapes, Tarzan and his Mate (1934) (1936)] and was aware of their capabilities.

It's astounding that they didn't use a lion, as Austin Cedric Gibbons was in charge of the M-G-M lions because they not only obeyed him but actually liked him. But I guess that two lions (Tanner and the Id) were enough.

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alta evening publicity new:

Alta plays with fallow deer:

Andy Shawcraft home-made toy:

BTS cannon repair:

Christmas stocking:

Altair IV vegetation study by David Cummings sponsored by NASA and UCLA:

Just what was on the ends of the other sofa?:

Return to the Forbidden Planet done in the style of Star Trek:

Forbidden Planet if done by Disney:

A LP vinyl record:

French poster unused concept:

George J. Folsey, Jr & Cinemascope 55™ Camera:

Irving Block C-57-D landed on Altair IV:

Irving Block C-57-D take-off:

Italian novel cover:

Jeep leaving C-57-D cut scene:

Krell chair front:

Krell House Keeping Magazine:

Lab 3 by Irving Block:

Licensed toy:

Close-up of panels:

The Perry Como Show Kraft Music Hall:

Script original opening dialog:

"Robot Delambre" mash-up:

Sascha Brastoff's Id concept:

Sascha Brastoff's Krell concept:

The shaft light:

Robby in TV show Stacked Gavin's Pipe Dream:

Star Trek - Deep Space 9 Whispers ship list:

Tanner & "Buddy" Gillespie:

Tanner & Alfred Hitchcock. Who's the meanest lion?:

The UPF book in the movie:

My best re-creation:

The Forbidden World by Systemcat:

The monkeys listed in the novelization:

Could someone Post these to Imgur™ so we could have larger and clearer pictures?:

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Maurice
Mission Specialist

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
Simple. Look at the lighting of the scenes.

That's not much of an answer.

I see you referred to the coordinates later, though. How was I supposed to know that from your initial reply?

Maurice
Mission Specialist

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:

The UPF book in the movie:

Surely that's the regulations/"good book" used for the wedding ceremony.

Last edited by Maurice on Fri May 24, 2019 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a revised version of yesterday's post, so if you read it yesterday . . . this one is even better! Cool

Over the years I've tried to come up with ideas for a sequel to Forbidden Planet.

Such a sequel wouldn't necessarily have to be so ambitious that it somehow saved Morbius AND Altair 4 . . . but I'd sure love to think of a way to do that. Very Happy

One idea I have involves the Krell machine's ability to perform those miracles involving "creation by mere thought". It occurred to me that in the last instant of Morbius' death, his mind would have sent out a mental blast of fear at the thought of dying, along with his deep regret at having to leave his daughter.

With that in mind, consider this.

If the Krell machine could sense Morbius' deepest emotions, then his emotions at the instant of his death would definitely get through to the Krell machine loud and clear! The machine would understand that Morbius was dying . . . and that he desperately wanted to escape death!

Based on events in story, we learned that the machine doesn't just create objects on demand, it also carries out actions which serve the user's intentions.

For example, the Id monster was not something specific which Morbius had to imagine in order for the machine to create it. Therefore, the machine obviously has the ability to create whatever it determines will serve the intent of the user.

Another example is the way Morbius was troubled by the fact that Adams was going to contact Earth for special instructions. In response to Morbius' subconscious resentment of this action, the Krell machine sabotaged the klystron frequency modulator, a key component . . . and a device which Morbius was not even aware of!

Therefore, all the machine needs to do is understand the user's intentions, and it will do whatever is needed to accomplish the task.

That's a very important point. Hold that thought as you read the rest of my proposal for this sequel.

The self-destruct mechanism was timed to detonate 24 hours after Morbius died, and as far as we know, Morbius' body was left in the Krell lab, which became his tomb until he was cremated in the hottest funeral pyre in the galaxy!

So, while the C-57-D was leaving the star system, I can't help wondering what the Krell machine was up to. Remember, Commander Adams said that the Krell could mentally command the machine to "instantaneously project solid matter to any point on the planet . . . in any shape or color they might imagine . . . for any purpose".

We know for a fact that this ability included the creation of living tissue, because it created Altaira's pets. In the novel by W.J. Stuart, he described Doc's autopsy results from the monkey which the tractor ran over. The monkey had a heart, lungs, muscles, bones, and a circulatory system. But anything the "monkey" didn't need to seem alive was just fibrous filler material. No digestive system, for example.

It the Krell machine could create a convincingly real monkey and all the other animals, it could have repaired whatever injuries were caused by Morbius' terrifying confrontation with the Id monster! Shocked

Just for the record, the most likely cause of Morbius' death . . . is a common heart attack! He was not somehow killed by the Id monster.

With all that in mind, picture this:

Adams and Altaira order Robby to bring his car around to the front entrance, and in it they race to the ship, leaving the slower tractor behind with Doc's body inside, knowing that both he and Morbiuus will be cremated when the planet blows up.

A few minutes after the couple leaves, Morbius suddenly regains consciousness!

The pain that racked his chest several minutes earlier is now gone. His heart has a strong and regular beat . . . compliments of the Krell machine, which has "projected" the rebuilt organ right into his chest!

Morbius slowly struggles to his feet and stares down at the glowing self-destruct switch. His all-consuming thought would be the statement he'd made just a few minutes ago; the chain reaction of the Krell furnaces "cannot be reversed".

However, he immediately realizes he made that statement without taking into account what the Krell machine was capable of doing. And if he could learn how to consciously control the machine, he could command it to stop the chain reaction just as easily as it had brought him back from death! Shocked

Guys, it's very important to understand that even though Morbius is a human with an intelligence level far below that of the Krell, this does NOT mean he can only cause the machine to do "low energy" creations. The problem is not with the strength of Morbius' mind, it's the clarity of his thoughts.

For example, the creation of the Id monster was the machine's misguided reaction to Morbius raw anger and savage emotions when the Bellerophon crew tried to force him to leave Altair 4. And this happened again when the C-57-D crew posed the same threat.

As a result, the savage and aggressive thoughts in Morbius' subconscious mind caused the machine to create an invisible, indestructible monster that attacked a fortified starship, armed with powerful weapons!

Later, when Morbius was barricaded in the lab behind a 26" thick door of solid Krell metal, the machine kept drawing more and more power until it melted through it. Shocked

In other words, the machine can apply as much power as it needs to fulfill any mental message it interprets as a command — even when the command itself is fuzzy and difficult for the machine to fully understand.

In the climax of this movie, when Morbius faced the heart-breaking thought of his daughter abandoning him and leaving with Adams, the machine responded so violently that the Id monster threatened to destroy both Adams and Altaira!

Also please note that the climatic assault occurred while Morbius was wide awake and struggling to consciously STOP the attack.

The important point is that ultimately . . . he actually succeeded! He stopped the ID monster's attack by consciously controlling it. Shocked

The fact that this elderly man suffered a heart attack when he faced the hideous embodiment of his own savage emotions does not negate the fact that Morbius proved he could exercise conscious control over the machine in those final moments.

And so, ladies and gentlemen, consider the situation when Edward Morbius suddenly regains consciousness in the Krell lab after he'd been left for dead by Adams and Altaira.

Morbius quickly realizes that he's been saved by a technological miracle. But he also knows that he has twenty-four hours to train his mind to consciously control the Krell machine so it can be ordered to stop the chain reaction.

After doing so, he must then command the machine to create a powerful thermonuclear device which will be "projected" to a point several millions miles out in space, so that it will create a convincing explosion which looks like the image below at the exact moment Altair 4 is supposed to explode.

The segment of this hypothetical sequel dealing Morbius' resurrection would begin with selected scenes of Morbius training himself to consciously control the machine. Several hours after regaining consciousness in the lab, dawn would break over the Morbius estate, and we'd see the determined man standing in the dinning room, his face contorted by his fierce concentration as attempts to order the machine to materialize an object.

And suddenly . . . a monkey appears on the table and scampers away!

Morbius' expression lights up, and he turns his attention to the pool patio, his eyes narrowed to slits, his brow furrowed.

Within seconds, a tiger materializes! Very Happy

As his skills increase, he gets cocky and creates a duplicate of Robby, who then starts lumbering around the house in the usual manner.

At one point we see Morbius testing his new-found powers by conjuring up a duplicate of Altaira — standing right next to him while he studies his creation closely to insure it's perfect in every way.

But this experience proves too painful, because he knows he might never actually see his precious daughter again. Sad

Morbius quickly "wishes" her out of existence and then rubs his temples as if the strain of these endeavors has caused him some pain, similar to his demonstration of the plastic educator, just two days earlier.

After many hours of diligent practice, Morbius becomes convinced he's capable ordering the Krell machine to stop the Krell furnaces' chain reaction.

After he succeeds in doing this, he orders the Krell machine to create a nuclear device, located out in space and set to explode at the proper time so that it convinces the people aboard the C-57-D that Altair 4 had been destroyed.

Remember, the Krell machine considers the intentions of the users commands — the actual purpose of the objects and actions being requested. All Morbius needs to do is tell the machine what he wants to happen. He does NOT need to know how to build a bomb.

The Krell machine takes care of all the details.

After the C-57-D crewmen and Altaira see the explosion, they head back Earth to report that Altair 4 no longer exists. And Dr. Edward Morbius would finally feel free to plan the best way to preserve the scientific treasures of the Krell, while still protecting mankind from the dangers of that advanced knowledge. Very Happy

What do you think, folks? Have I succeeded in creating a premise for a Forbidden Planet sequel. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon May 27, 2019 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New fan art, artist unknown:

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what's happens next in ths imaginary sequel, Return to the Forbidden Planet?

Click on the image for the answer.

Having said that, here we go. Cool

Remember how I mentioned that I thought Morbius should have been allowed to lead a team of scientist who'd set up a huge complex on Altair 4 to study the Krell science and make careful decisions about what parts of it to share with Earth?

Well, that would be his "long game".

But if he'd survived after the movie ended, he'd first want to conduct more research on his own, just to make up for the way he overlooked the true nature of the Krell machine for twenty years. In this sequel, however, Morbius knows it might be better to never reveal that Altair 4 still exists if that caused humans to come and discover certain aspects of the Krell science that would be fatally dangerous to mankind.

In other words, his original opinion hasn't changed.

"I have come to the unalterable conclusion that mankind is unfit, as yet, to receive such knowledge — such almost limitless power!"

This proved to be even more true than he realized, but he also knows that Commander Adams will make a full report to Earth about what happened on Altair 4, and the United Planets authorities will know that the Krell knowledge is dangerous — despite being a treasure trove of priceless knowledge.

In this sequel, with Morbius miraculously alive and faced with the task of saving the Krell knowledge for mankind under his absolute supervision, the first thing Morbius would do is . . . bring Dr. Ostrow back to life! Very Happy

Why? Oh, heck. That's obvious! Wink

The movie established that after his fatal brain boost, Doc was actually smarter than Morbius! Just before he died, Doc said to Adams, "You ought to see my new mind. It's up there in lights. Bigger than his now!"

Because Doc's I.Q. became higher than Morbius', it allowed him to connect the dots and solve the mystery of the Krell machine after Morbius failed to do so. That being the case, Morbius would be eager for the New and Improved Dr. Ostrow to work with him and study the Krell science so that mankind could eventually benefit from it — without being destroy by it.

The only small problem with this plan is . . . Doc is dead.

But wait a minute. Is he really dead? Confused

I was wrestling with the problem of how to bring Doc back to life, but then I suddenly realized . . . I'd already solve it! Very Happy

Since Doc had suddenly become even more intelligent than Morbius — and since he experienced the same terrifying moment that Morbius did when his mind cried out and begged to escape death — the Krell machine would receive his mental "command" to heal him the same way it did when Morbius died! Shocked

Like Morbius, Dr. Ostrow would be unconscious for several minutes after he died and then was resurrected by the Krell machine. During that time, we see Robby place him in the tractor. Since Ostrow died because his brain was damaged by the plastic education, he remained unconscious longer than Morbius.

Hell, even "instant brain surgery" requires a little recuperation time!

Therefore, Doc was lying in the tractor (alive but unconscious), while Adams and Altaira rushed out of the house, boarded Robby's car, and sped off towards the ship.

This new and novel concept means we have to amend my description of what happened when Morbius regained consciousness and emerged from the lab, before he started training himself to focus his mind on the task of consciously operating the Krell machine.

In this new version, Morbius and Ostrow find each other alive and well, and these two geniuses quickly comprehend the amazing situation. Morbius tells Doc about the self-destruct mechanism, and the two men discuss what to do about the fact that the Krell furnaces are approaching a catastrophic failure.

Morbius convinces Ostrow that together they can stop it, and by doing so they'll be able to preserve the Krell science while they also safeguard it from being misused. (Remember, Doc was initially in favor of turning the whole shebang over to the United Planets authorities.)

Imagine the scene in which Morbius takes Ostrow back to the Krell lab and shows him the melted door while he describes the way he managed to command the Id monster to vanish, just before it was about to kill Adams and Altaira.

Morbius is absolutely convinced that one-or-both of them will be able to master a somewhat limited control over the Krell machine and use it to repair-and-reset the reactors. So, he and Ostrow begin a determined effort to do this during the twenty-four hours before the planet is destroyed.

And so, guys, please close your eyes and rerun that scene I described earlier — only this time it isn't just Morbius desperately trying to train his mind to consciously command the Krell machine. It's Morbius and Ostrow! Cool

At first they would both struggle to transmit their thoughts to the Krell machine. But they grow more and more frustrated as they repeatedly fail.

And then suddenly Doc succeeds in making his first creation. After spending several minutes concentrating fiercely on the bowl of fruit —

— a duplicate bowl appears! Shocked

Morbius is stunned for a moment, but then he's overjoyed with Doc's success. Doc (being a genius) smiles as he reads Morbius' expression and realizes that the other man is jealous because Doc succeeded before he did.

But then Morbius says, "Very good, Doctor. Obviously I was mistaken when I said your ape's brain couldn't contain the secrets of the Krell."

With a puzzled look, Doc replies, "Wait . . . when did you say that?"

Morbius grins. "Ummm . . . While you were dead."

"Oh." Then Ostrow chuckles. "Well, if you can manage to create the rest of our lunch, we can sit down and eat."

In this manner, the two men quickly develop a strong rapport which will allow them to work well together on the monumental task ahead of them. (And if you think about the situation for a moment, you'll realize just how important it is for them to get along!) Shocked

That's all I've got right now, folks, but I think we can all agree that a partnership between Morbius and Ostrow, would make a great sequel to Forbidden Planet, with both men capable of making limited use of the Krell machine in their efforts to protect the greatest scientific discovery in the galaxy.

I'll leave you with this idea. Imagine their discussions about how important it will be for them to remain cordial and cooperative. These two guys know what might happen if somebody gets pissed off! Shocked

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Sorry about both the size and darkness of these two but I could not find better copies.) The astrogator plan:

THIS ONE IS VERY IMPORTANT!
It will help in the debate over the house lay-out that happened awhile back and may help make things clearer. The house set elevation plan:[/size]

New to us; the study:

Exterior Lab door, stair/ramp & tunnel:

These are from the Bonhams auction. (Butch purchased them.)

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a slightly better copy, but it's still too blurry make out much.

Oh well . . . Smile

I thought of a few questions about the Ancient Rocket Bourbon. First of all, I started wondering just how sure we are that the label on the bottles looked like this.

I mean, how well do we really see the label?

Second, how many of the bottles actually had Ancient Rocket Bourbon labels on them? Would we really be able to tell if the studio just used bottles with their original labels?

I did a little research and found this image on line, a cropped section of a screen grab. It's hard to be sure, but the label does seem to say "Ancient Rocket". However, it doesn't say "Genuine" on the lower half, although it does say "bourbon" at the bottom. And I can make out the circle of the planet Earth faintly on the bottle to the left, and it's barely visible on the right one.

Notice that the font used for the words "Ancient Rocket" is very different on the real ones than on the replica. And I don't see a rocket zipping around the planet, unfortunately, because that part reminds me of All Sci-Fi's logo.

IMDB has this interesting trivia item: The cook drinks "Ancient Rocket Bourbon". This is a play on the real "Ancient Age" bourbon. In the future time of the movie, faster than light travel has made rockets so obsolete that they're referred to as "ancient".

Ah-ha! So THAT'S why the font on the custom-made labels looks a bit more fancy than the ones on the replica! It was meant to emulate the label on the bottles of Ancient Age bourbon.

Now all I've got to do is get myself two bottles of Ancient Age bourbon, then print out a copy of the replica's label and paste it onto one of them. Then I'll display them both on the mantle over my fireplace. Very Happy

I made two screen grabs of the moments when we get our best looks at the pile of bottles, and apparently all the bottles did in fact have the custom-made labels — or at least the ones we can see a fair portion of. Perhaps only 20 or 30 bottles actually had the Ancient Rocket Bourbon labels, and the rest didn't show well enough to bother with the custom label.

(The green square below shows the section used in the crop above.)

One thing surprised me when I watched the clip below. Cookie opens a bottle, smells it, and exclaims, "Genuine Kansas City bourbon!"

I looked up bourbon and discovered that true bourbon must be brewed in American (as decreed by an act of Congress in 1964, I swear). The same beverage is "whiskey" if it's brewed anywhere else. And 95% of America's bourbon is made in Kentucky.

But here's curious contradiction. I couldn't find any pictures of bottles labeled "Kansas City Bourbon", but I did find this one.

The contradiction is that it's called "Kansas City Whisky". But if it was made in Kansas City — it should be called "Kansas City Bourbon." Odd, eh? Confused

And yet if you look closely at the bottom edge of the label for the replica bottle in the image above, it does say "Bottled and Bonded in Kansas City".

But since it IS just a fan made replica, that part might not agree with the actual custom labels any more than the font that was used and zipping rocket.

__ FORBIDDEN PLANET- ID MONSTER SNEAKS ABOARD

But here's the $64 question.

What happened to all the bottles that did have labels? They probably had actual bourbon in them instead of just water, so the studio might have wanted to retain them just because of the expense.

Maybe the studio executives drank 'em all up . . . and threw away the bottles! Shocked

However, perhaps Bill Malone managed to find a few and add them to his Forbidden Planet collection. Very Happy

And finally, what do you think one of those bottles might go for on eBay? I'd love to have one . . . but I'm sure I couldn't afford it. Cool

Guys, I suspect I'll be dead and gone before people like us run out of new and interesting things about Forbidden Planet which can be discovered, researched, discussed, and debated.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri May 31, 2019 4:09 pm; edited 5 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 85 of 143

Jump to: