ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those books on the ship appear to be in a break/dinning area, but the fact that they're all alike and have no titles is puzzling. Were they there for the crews' recreational reading, or were they manuals of some kind?

Neither guess really seems to fit the facts, so I'm stumped. Confused

Krel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some scenes you can see a number of what look to be some type of small screen in the break area. I believe the books are manuals and reference books. If there is a problem, the screens could be rendered inoperable. But the advantage of printed books is that they are not dependent on a power source. In an emergency, as long as there is a source of light, the books are usable.

The current U.S. Military has a belt-and-suspenders philosophy. I see no reason why that will change in the future.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is a excellent theory about what that set of apparently identical books are. Good thinking, David. Very Happy

And your comment reminded me of the deleted scene in the movie which is described in this portion of the script.

Notice the reference to the "space manual". This coincides with your assertion that all the ship's vital operating instructions are archived both in print and in digital form, for complete redundancy! Very Happy

Folks, I think we owe our good friend Bob Tarmac a debt of gratitude for spotlighting yet another aspect of Forbidden Planet which has proved itself worthy of close examination!

His inquiry concerning the presence of old fashion books in the 23rd century has lead to a fascinating discussion on this surprisingly interesting subject.
Very Happy
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, come one guys! We're still waiting on the solution to the three clues below! I presented them several days ago, and they're the three easiest ones so far! Very Happy

If these three don't manage to tempt Miss Eadie to come back after her inexplicable absence during the last seven days, I'm going to start suspecting foul play! Shocked

Forbidden Planet Scavenger Hunt!

Clue #20

~ Find a popular child’s toy from the 1950s that bears a slight resemblance to a prop we see each week in a classic TV sci-fi series.

Clue #21

~ Find a famous investigator who endangers his own health by using the object he’s holding.

Clue #22

~ Find Robby with the perfect “arm candy” — who looks somewhat related to him.

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#20?

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Bob. That's not it. Sad

The toy is not sci-fi related in any way.

The prop it resembles (according to a member who thought the prop was made using one to the toys) is in the opening credits of the show in this clip, featured in a closeup at the 30 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBWPa-Pv-tg&t=30s

Remember, the answer is a jpeg which is in this thread, so you don't have to go looking for a jpeg of the toy.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that the three clues above seem too difficult. I'd have sworn they were fairly easy! Shocked

Here's the last three clues I've come up with. Hopefully you'll have better luck with these and we can end this game on a good note.

The answers to all three clues are between pages 50 and 60.

Forbidden Planet Scavenger Hunt!

Clue #23

~ Find Altaira wearing her LEAST REVEALING outfit.

Clue #24

~ Find three gowns NOT in FP which are just as elegant as Altaira’s unused one. (One picture)

Clue #25

~ Find a picture of Richard Anderson (aka Chief Quinn) holding a blaster.

As for Clue #21, perhaps I should have said a "famous detective", instead of "investigator". Obviously it's NOT a character in FP.

As for Clue #22, I deliberately didn't say "find a painting of Robby" because I thought that made it too easy. And the reference to the "arm candy" (a pretty girl) who seems to be related to Robby, that obviously means she's not a human! Very Happy

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: If Commander Adams actually did marry Altaira on the voyage home. By maritime law would he have had the authority to marry anyone, let alone, transfer that power to the Bosun so he could be married?

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Tarmac wrote:
Question: If Commander Adams actually did marry Altaira on the voyage home. By maritime law would he have had the authority to marry anyone, let alone, transfer that power to the Bosun so he could be married?

Well, yes . . . and no.

It's a common misconception (perpetrated by Hollywood) that ship's captains are authorized to perform weddings. I Googled the question and got this.

A ship's captain generally does not have the legal right to officiate a wedding at sea. In order for a Captain of a ship to perform a marriage at sea, he must also be a judge, a justice of the peace, a minister, or an officially recognized officiant such as a Notary Public.

In the United States Navy, a captain's powers are defined by its 1913 Code of Regulations, specifically stating: "The commanding officer shall not perform a marriage ceremony on board his ship.

However, all this applies to ships at sea. Couples wishing to get married can just wait until the ship docks and then find someone who IS authorized to marry them.

Ah, but in the 23rd century, when starships like the C-57-D spend years in space, we'll need new rules on this subject. And by God, good old Forbidden Planet has this situation covered just as well as it does in every other matter we've discussed!

In the deleted scene described in the portion of the screenplay I posted, Commander Adams hands the Bosun the "space manual" and says, "I am authorized under regulation 44 to delegate any portion of my authority to another officer during an emergency."

Then Adams points to a page in the open manual and says, "Start reading aloud right there."

So, from this we know three things with absolute certainty.

(1) The space manual states that a captain can delegate all or part of his authority to another officer.

(2) Adams obviously knows he can perform weddings because he specifically delegates that authority to the Bosun.

(3) The space manual not only gives him the authority, it even includes the words needed to perform the ceremony! Shocked

Therefore, Bob, we've determined that ships captains on Earth can not actually perform marriages, but starship captains in the FP universe most definitely CAN!

By the way, guys, here's the answers to the rest of the scavenger hunt clues, since there seems to no interest in it anyway. Sad

Clue #20

~ Find a popular child’s toy from the 1950s that bears a slight resemblance to a prop we see each week in a classic TV sci-fi series. (The answer is on page page 47)

Clue #21

~ Find a famous investigator who endangers his own health by using the object he’s holding. (The answer is on page page 4Cool

Clue #22

~ Find Robby with the perfect “arm candy” — who looks somewhat related to him. (The answer is on page page 54)

Clue #23

~ Find Altaira wearing her LEAST REVEALING outfit. (The answer is on page page 56)

Clue #24

~ Find three gowns NOT in FP which are just as elegant as Altaira’s unused one. (One picture. The answer is on page page 56))

Clue #25

~ Find a picture of Richard Anderson (aka Chief Quinn) holding a blaster. (It's the only time he ever did! (The answer is on page page 57)

So much for scavenger hunts. Rolling Eyes

I thought it would be fun . . .

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m just speculating here, however, I think that might be why this scene was pulled from the movie. Under Maritime law Captains cannot marry while at sea, unless they have special authority such as being a minister or a notary.

And, Adams wasn’t even a Captain, he was a Commander which is a lower rank than a Captain.

I agree with you that in the future the manual may provide for a Commander to marry a couple far out in space, but I’ll bet you they pulled the marriage scene from the movie so as to not perpetuate the misconception. Smile

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "Commander" in rank is designated as "Captain" when he is in control of a vessel. This is often how it is with smaller vessels in the Navy and Coast Guard.

Bud's point is very good too. Laws and regulations are extremely subject to change over time.

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always felt that the closing scene was powerful, somber, and completely appropriate to the story. Adams' final line clearly states the movie's message.

The wedding ceremony would (in my opinion) end the movie on a trivial note, a "happy ending" in which love triumphs. Rolling Eyes

As for captains being legally able to perform marriages, the list I posted of people who can perform marriages includes Notary Public*. Heck, my ex-wife became a notary republic so she could notarize documents for her employers!

So, either starship captains are required to be Notaries so they can perform marriages, or starship captains are simply added to list of authorized wedding officials! Laughing

* Actually only the states of South Carolina, Florida, and Maine allow weddings by Notary Publics. But obviously that means the rules of who can legally perform marriages are not "set in stone". If the rules can be modified by mere states, then the United Planets certainly can! Shocked

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Frank Lloyd Wright design from the 50's.
Designed for Arthur Miller and Marylin Monroe.

Look familiar?

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY!!! Smile

Good find Gord! Thank you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 127 of 143

Jump to: