ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Bob Tarmac wrote:
Bud Brewster wrote:
The "main character" is human

Question:

Is the Id character in the movie a human, or an alien?

Neither one. It's a creation of the Krell machine, not a living thing. Very Happy

Human. It is the physical manifestation of a living human mind. Thus wholeheartedly human. Why is it not a living thing?
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Tarmac wrote:
Human. It is the physical manifestation of a living human mind. Thus wholeheartedly human. Why is it not a living thing?

I suggest we should address this question with pure logic. That's what smart guys like us do, just for the fun of it. Cool

The Id monster is not a "living thing" because it's nothing more than a projection of energy-turned-into-matter — exactly like the characters on the Star Trek holodecks. It only has the properties of solid matter while the Krell machine is using energy to create it.

Furthermore, we should remember that it's only the "manifestation of a living human mind" in the sense that when Morbius thoughts were received by the machine it acted upon them because of his deep desire for the Earth men to leave him the hell alone! Evil or Very Mad

Therefore, the machine created a big scary monster whose sole purpose was to terrorize the Earth men and frighten them into leaving Altair 4 . . . or to kill them all if they didn't take the damn hint! Shocked

But we should keep in mind that the Id monster is definitely not sentient.

It has no will of its own.

It comes into existence only when the Krell machine creates it.

It moves around because the machine manipulates it like a puppet, and it vanishes the instant the Krell machine STOPS creating it.

The Id monster is not a living creature (much less a human being) anymore than Altaira's pets are. As they say in Star Trek, "The holodeck characters are simply composed of photons and force fields".

So, Bob, I feel certain that if we stick to pure logic and science we would agree that nothing in Forbidden Planet suggests that the creations of the Krell machine could be considered as living organism.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're absolutely correct Bud.

As you noted, the ID "monster" is a manifestation taken from Morbious's subconscious mind. It is a PROJECTION of his consciousness and not a living thing.

It could be looked at as an intangible bundle of energy whose effect on others is caused by a release of portions of that energy.

For example, when you talk on the telephone is it your voice that comes out of the receiver? No....Your voice is transmitted to the microphone which transforms it into electrical vibrations that come out the other person's earpiece. It is not your voice, but a "manifestation" of your voice transformed into energy through the device.

The ID is just that...An artificial being created through the technology of the Krell.

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is FUN!! Two against one.

All good points gentlemen! Smile BUUUUUT …. the ID had its own individual consciousness. A consciousness with its own separate will. Separate from the will of Morbius.

Morbius: “Guilty! Guilty! My evil self is at that door! But I have no power to stop it!”

Also, remember the Krell Mind Machine? Called “The Plastic Educator?” Remember Altaria inside the Educator?

Captain: “That’s Altaria!”

Doctor: “But it’s ALIVE!

Morbius: “Because my daughter is ALIVE in my brain from microsecond to microsecond.”

Thus gentlemen, the ID using pure logic, and from Morbus own mouth, was ALIVE. From microsecond to microsecond, a doppelganger of Evil Morbius. A hidden persona. A repressed version of Morbius’s own mind, waiting for the opportunity to get out AND do what everyone’s secret inner devil does best.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple points from your rebuttal....

First, the ID Monster was NOT a conscious being. It was controlled totally by Morbius's SUBCONCIOUS. It NEVER acted on it's own but always acted in accordance with Morbius's unspoken, unrealized thoughts.

Morbius had no input consciously in it's actions and his conscious mind could not control it in any way, even if it would lead to his own destruction. The ID could operate in a seemingly autonomous way, knowing how to walk up stairs etc. ,but these were just subliminal operations. Your own subconscious is not a living entity, it is just a portion of your mind. Think of it like this...You are alive, and your arm and hand are alive....But the hammer you use is not alive. It seems to know what it is doing...It strikes the nail in just the right place. The ID was no more alive than the hammer!

Second, when Adams referred to the holographic image of Alta I don't think he meant it was "literally alive" just that it took the form as if alive. I could watch FORBIDDEN PLANET and say that all those actors are alive, because I can see them move and talk and have all the appearance of being alive on my screen....But they are NOT living beings, just the semblance of them! You can't always take what is said by Adams, Morbius or even Alta as literal. ( Doc Ostrow however always spoke his mind or kept his mouth shut! lol)

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well explained, however, “Your mind refuses to come to a conclusion” [adams].

Human Consciousness is an orchestrated blend of many independent personas coexisting within each human. If a single dominant persona, the Ego goes absent, one or several of the other personas [in the subconscious] will surface [ref., multiple personality disorder] to take its place.

The movie’s reference to Monsters from the ID are these personas.

The ID Monster was a result of the projection of the Krell machine, that is true, however, like a hand inside a glove, the ID was it’s own independent being [persona] with a self governing will of its own.

Thus, the ID was not only a living entity, it represented the baser self aspect of a human being. Thus human.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Bob....Your argument is well presented but I still can't accept it. The ID had the semblance of sentience and self awareness (Not much really!), but I still think it was just a physical manifestation of Morbius's will and no more "living" than a hammer is just a tool of the carpenter wielding it.

It was a construct that mirrored Morbius's subconscious and reacted to his unspoken, even unperceived commands. It had no free will...only the deep, dark commands from Morbius's subconscious, unalterable and absolute. It was not "human", nor was it "living"....It was just a reflection of the Human psyche and no more alive than your reflection in a mirror! However, through the Krell Machine it was given the ability to manifest physical qualities channeled through the power of the Krell Furnace. The powers it showed came from the Krell...The actions it took came from Morbius's mind...NOT from any self awareness!

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:
I suggest we should address this question with pure logic. That's what smart guys like us do, just for the fun of it.

Unfortunately Bud, logic sometimes escapes us.

The tenants of logic are derived from Aristotle, who established the rules and tools of logic. He also figured out that the Earth was the center of the Universe and the planets followed epicycles in their orbits.

Logic is a manipulation of reality...not a pure science. And akin to "History" it can be subject to manipulation!

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ID as a hammer versus a glove versus a prosthetic device versus a vehicle. The logic of this comparison is the same. Who ultimately is the driver behind these deadly actions?

Gord, I will accept your part of the argument that it was Morbius behind the ID Monster, thus we agree that the ID was human by extension. Where we agree to disagree is in ‘who’ was the key persona/s responsible for it’s actions. This I think we can agree on. Smile

More fun. Smile

QUESTION: Did people use or, even have a need for hardcover bound books in the film’s 23rd century?

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Tarmac wrote:
QUESTION: Did people use or, even have a need for hardcover bound books in the film’s 23rd century?
Interesting question! _

First of all, we should clarify whether we're asking "will people still need books" — or — "will they still want books".

Ironically, we don't actually need books today, because we have devices that display the books we want to read — and a single device can display all the books available in digital form! Shocked

And yet, even though that's much more convenient than the traditional method — owning a book, keeping the book on a shelf, taking it down to read, finding where you left off, sitting in a well-lit place, and finally reading the book — all of those requirements are part of an enjoyable, time-honored ritual.

Throw in a crackling fire in the hearth and a glass of brandy, and you're all set up for very pleasant evening.

Obviously books have their own unique appeal — so much so in fact that they warrant their own special "temple", where they can be honored and enjoy. A great deal of "convenience" is sacrificed when the information is stored in the manner shown below. But of course, convenience is not the goal. Very Happy

And finally, consider this.

Collectors of rare books are like collectors of fine art. I have jpegs which can display dozens of Frank Frazetta's amazing artwork . . . even his Johnny Comet comic strips, like these two.

I can enjoy looking at the jpegs just as much as looking at the originals. But the jpegs are worth absolutely nothing.

However, the originals are currently worth about $7,000 each — and I own them both. Cool

Lot 93089: Frank Frazetta Johnny Comet Daily Comic Strip Original
Sold: $7,170
Heritage Auctions

So, whether a book is a rare and valuable collectors item or just a treasured personal favorite, there's more to books than just the info they contain.

With that in mind, I propose that in the 23rd century, books will be even more valuable than they are now! Very Happy

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud: All true! Hard Bound, “hardcover” books would be very valuable in the 23rd century.

... Were there any hard bound books in use within the FIlm itself? Smile

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no . . . we never saw any, but that brings up an interesting area of speculation. Very Happy

If the Bellerophon had been a colony ship, we could make a strong case for the idea that the colonist brought along items from Earth which would be beneficial to their mental wellness. They would want to feel connected in some ways to Earth and human cultures.

Therefore things like books, artwork, and other deeply personal items would be helpful in making their new home on Altair 4 seem like an extension of their beloved home world, rather than a strange and unfamiliar environment.

However, the Bellerophon crew was "a prospecting part of scientist" (according to Adams), and we have no idea how long they expecting to stay on Altair 4 — other than the reasonable assumption that the visit wouldn't be too brief, since the travel time was one year each way! Shocked

In other words, I'm sort of arguing against the idea that the Bellerophon crew would have had more than just a few personal items (like hardcover books) per crewmen.

And yet I'd like to think that Morbius ordered Robby to replicate a few children's book for Altaira when she was first learning to read, simply because he'd want her to have the happy experience of reading actual books at her young age.

This assumes, of course, that the Bellerophon's database was extensive, and therefore contained detailed data on Earth culture . . . included images of children's books which Robby could use to fabricate replicas.

I'm also assuming that in this hi-tech 23rd century world, Morbius had his own copy of the Bellerophon database, which survived the destruction of the ship when it was vaporized while trying lift off.

This whole idea is part of my theory about how the Krell machine detected Morbius' deep concern for the happiness of little Altaira. He would share the replicated books with his child during "story time", and she would gleefully tell her father how wonderful it would be if she had a few pets like the animals shown in her books.

Cute pets like the monkeys, the deer, the birds . . . and that adorable kitty with the strips! Very Happy

The devoted-but-troubled father would ponder the problem of his daughter's happiness, and on several occasions he would dream about his little girl playing in the garden with the pets she had wished for — a dream that wouldn't be clearly remembered the next morning, something that happens to all of us when we wake up.

After this happened a few times over a period of months, the Krell machine would finally manage to decipher the muddled messages it was receiving from it's new human user, and it would do what it interpreted as a mental "request".

And so, one day little Altaira discovered the animals in the garden, and they kept her company for the next fifteen years or so.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No books you say?

Morbius has two on his desk in his office. I would suspect that either they are from the Bellerathon or possibly replicated by Robby.

On the C-57d the officers review the old "charts" of Altair-4 on hard copies. Either they were brought as such or they were printouts from the ships computer.

I would guess that in this century most "books" are digital but some may be kept for sentimental reasons.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, right . . . I forgot about those!

They look visibly worn, so I'd say there were books brought from Earth by Morbius — perhaps they even belonged to Mrs. Morbius. Sad

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch Gord! This also confirms what Bud speculated about the Bellerophon bringing along books with them, otherwise Morbius bound them himself.

However, there were also dozens of other books in Forbidden Planet as well. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 126 of 143

Jump to: