ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent review. I must admit, however, that I still see this movie through the eyes of an eight-year-old child. I can remember hearing the advertisements for this movie on the television late at night and getting out of bed, going down the stairs to peek at the TV and asking my parents if I could watch the trailer.

At one point it was featured on one of the talk shows which showed a little more than in the trailer. I was extremely anxious to see this movie and so glad to see it with my parents. There wasn’t much suspension of disbelief, since I didn’t know anything anyway.

I did know enough to be thoroughly entertained. I learned the Freudian terminology about the id years later, but it wasn’t until a course in abnormal psychology that I could better understand the term. A great film and great memories especially in anticipation of going to see it in the theater with mom and dad.
17 Oaks
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
"Forbidden Planet’ is probably the best Science Fiction film of the 1950s."

I agree it's great, but not sure if the best of the '50s. I will give it more than high marks, but I lean towards 'War of the Worlds' as being the greatest, and as many remakes, none attain the level of the original.

I remember talking to my dad about it as he listened to it originally on the radio.

Then there is the long-lasting Fav, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, that certainly is a contender. One might say its not Sci Fi but rather Horror. Perhaps!
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17 Oaks wrote:
I agree it's great, but not sure if the best of the '50s. I will give it more than high marks, but I lean towards 'War of the Worlds' as being the greatest . . .

Then there is the long-lasting Fav, The Creature from the Black Lagoon . . .

Your interesting comment illustrates the way each person's expectations determines which movies they rank at the top of their own list of "best science fiction film of the 1950s" (as Gord phrased it).

For example, I rank Forbidden Planet as one of the best science fiction movies of all time, because it excels in several categories that I value highly.

For example —

~ The special effects are almost flawless — an impressive achievement for a movie made in the 1950s.

~ Every scene in the movie presents stunning designs and artistic creations which have dazzled me since 1956. This 132-page thread is filled with posts by members who have spotted remarkable details which most of us never noticed — despite multiple viewings over the last 65 years! Shocked

~ The basic premise of the story is so complex and thought provoking that this thread includes dozens of descriptions, discussions, and debates which were inspired by the mind-boggling concepts the movie present!

~ Last but not least, the story envisions a bright and optimistic future in which mankind has produced scientific achievements that have carried him to the stars!

In short, this movie not only entertains, it inspires! The message of the story is stated very clearly in the last line of dialog.

"Alta, someday your father's name will shine again — like a beacon in the galaxy. True, it will remind us that we are, after all, not God."

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In later years, before his revival in popularity in the 1980s, Robby had to resort to sordid means to survive.

He had hoped that wearing a mask would hide his identity. It didn't work.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lest we forget.....
It was Thanksgiving on Altair IV too...

So that's how you make the turkey!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord, you did an excellent job of modifying the photos! Very Happy

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They finally announced a sequel !!!!

I think they've had too much of this!!!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much Ancient Rocket Bourbon? Shocked

Sir, that's like saying I'm too tough, too tan, too good looking, and have too much money! Cool

Respectfully, I must disagree . . . Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Bud.....

And Sir....You look marvelous!!!!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I used to tell my children when they were growing up, "Your admirable humility makes you better than everybody else." Cool

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Well Bud.....

And Sir....You look marvelous!!!!

Fernando Lamas never said that, Billy Christal did as his Fernando character. But according to Ester Williams, although Fernando Lamas never said that, he did believe it was better to look good than to feel good. Laughing

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM ALTAIR FOUR!

(photo by Bud Brewster)
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting and well-written post below is by Orzel-W, and it's way back on page 3 of this thread.

orzel-w wrote:
Thinking further about the Krell machine fabricating things from Morbius' subconscious wishes... The hypothesis of the Krell database having records of Earth animals, so that they're viable once materialized from Morbius' desire, seems to work okay. Then Morbius mistakenly believes they were descendants of specimens brought back from Earth.

But did Morbius never desire anything inanimate, enough for the machine to fabricate it and... surprise! "Hey, where did this freshly brewed cup of Starbucks coffee come from?"

Orzel-W (Wayne Orlicki ) did some fine thinking and fine writing on this subject — but he proceeded from a false premise, so I can politely answer his question by explaining why Morbius would never experience what Wayne described.

The false premise in Wayne's question is the assumption that the Krell machine was tuned into Morbius' human brain the same way it was tuned into the brilliant minds of Krell.

Here's the important difference.

The movie makes it very plain that the Krell machine was flawed because it was was so sensitive to both the conscience and subconscious thoughts of the Krell. As a result, it granted their every wish — both the conscience and subconscious ones.

However, Morbius' brain had been boosted by the Krell educator just enough to make his deepest, most emotion-laden personal concerns strong enough for the Krell machine to sense.

But even then those thoughts were like faint signals from a distant radio station. They weren’t actually clear messages — they were raw emotions and fuzzy images which the machine struggled to interpret.

These important concerns are what created his troubled dreams, the ones he mentions in his post-lunch discussion with the three crewmen.

With that in mind, the answer to Orzel-w's question below become clear.

Quote:
But did Morbius never desire anything inanimate, enough for the machine to fabricate it and... surprise! "Hey, where did this freshly brewed cup of Starbucks coffee come from?"

No, that would never happen. The Krell machine only picked up Morbius' most vital emotional concerns, such as the ones I've described below.

The first of Morbius’ vital concerns was his deep love for Altaira 4, and his plan to "make a home here, far from the scurry and strife of humankind."

But when the Bellerophon crew elected to return to Earth, Morbius became extremely upset.

His objection to being forced to leave Altair 4 was so strong that the Krell machine sensed his anger and resentment towards the other scientist, and it interpreted this emotion as a need to strike out against them — and in doing so, remove the threat to Morbius’ happiness.

Based on the strength of Morius’ anger and his need to defend his dream, the machine created the Id monster which tore the poor people "limb from limb" — and then vaporized the Bellerophon.

Any qualified physiologist would understand that a person's deepest subconscious emotions are not governed by their conscious commitment to rational behavior and civilized actions.

That's why Morbius said the following in the climax: "The beast! The mindless primitive! Even the Krell must have evolved from that beginning."

Think of it this way, guys.

The Krell machine was designed to listen to the Krells' thoughts and fulfill their wishes. But Morbius' thoughts were like someone speaking while standing too far away to be heard clearly. In other words, his human brain didn't "talk" loud enough for the Krell brain to clearly understand what he was thinking about.

However, Morbius' emotionally charged concerns were strong enough to be received by the machine — the ones that were connected with his most heart-felf desires. Deep within the mind of Edward Morbius were those vital concerns, those deepest fears, those strongest emotional ties.

So, when the Bellerophon crew tried to remove him from the planet he desperately wanted to live out his live on, the Krell machine sensed his anguish . . and the reason for it. In response to these concerns, the machine sent out the Id monster to efficiently eliminate this threat to its master — the only mind on the planet that was broadcasting "mental requests".

This permitted the machine to fulfill it's primary function after being deprived of this for 200,000 years!

That mind, of course, belonged to Edward Morbius . . . although he was unaware of the Krell machine's connection. Sad

When the C-57-D arrived and Commander Adams informed Morbius that he would be taken back Earth, the machine received more of those faint messages from Morbiius' mind — messages which again conveyed his fear of being forced to leave Altair 4.

Morbius' fear increased when Commander Adams became involved with Morbius' beloved daughter. The fear that Altaira was pulling away from her father and turning her devotion towards the handsome starship captain was something every father must endure when his “little girl” grows up and becomes young woman.

I understand that feeling, because I felt it when my own daughter got married and left home to start a family of her own. She and I have always been very close. She's even a member of All Sci-Fi Very Happy

This, of course, is the reason the Id monster suddenly appeared outside the Morbius home when Altaira confirmed her father's worst fear . . . that she would leave with Commanders Adams, no matter how much Morbius pleaded with her not to go.

Without realizing it, Morbius's subconscious fears and emotions were again sending a message to the Krell machine. The raw emotions could be translated as, "I don't want my daughter to leave! She’s betraying me!"

He even says this is in that dramatic scene. "Young man, my daughter is planning a very foolish action, and she'll be terrible punished!"

The Krell machine sensed these raws emotions, and it interpreted them as commands to grant Morbius' "request".

The result was the appearance of the Id monster, the attack on the house, and the slow and determined melting the door to the Krell lab.

All this was done in the strange manner we see in movie because Morbius' conflicted emotions where sending mixed singles to the Krell machine. Although the machine didn’t receive an actual verbal command, Morbius' emotions might be translated like this.

"I love my daughter . . . but she's defying me . . . so she must be punished . . . and yet I don't want to hurt her!"

Because of these confusing and conflicting "orders" being sent to the Krell machine, it found itself unable to simply materialize the Id monster inside the lab and destroy both Altair and Adams.

The Krell machine was trying to resolve a terrible conflict: a command to kill the person Morbius dearly loved, along with the man she was devoted to!

To complicate the situation even more, Adams made Morbius aware that the machine’s terrible acts of violence were a response Morbius’ primitive subconscious thoughts — evern though those thoughts were those of an intellilgent man with a well-disciplined mind and a kindly nature.

So, a new and disturbing “request” was sensed by the machine. Simply put, the request was this. “I’ve caused all this suffering and death. My evil self is at that door, and I have no power to stop it.”

Ironically, the Krell machine was actually trying to grant Morbius' agonizing wish to commit suicide because he finally realized he was closely connected to — but not responsible for — the deaths of all the people the Krell machine had killed!

As we all know, Morbius forced the Krell machine to grant that tragic wish when he sent the strongest "command" of all in the shocking climax, this time shouting his desparate appeal into the face of Id monster.

"Stop! No further! I deny you — I give you up!"

So, guys — there you have it. Forbidden Planet explained by your brilliant and verbose site admin, Bud Brewster, after spending 66 years analyzing this complex and flawless story.

It’s taken me a long time, but I fancy myself as someone with a deep understanding of this complex story. But then . . . I'm probably the only one who's devote almost seven decades figuring it out.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 132 of 143

Jump to: