ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Time Travelers (1964)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: The Time Travelers (1964) Reply with quote

______

This is one of the best posters for a sci-fi movie from this era. Very Happy

The movie gets off to a rousing start with some gorgeous title credits in dramatic block letters against colorful space backgrounds — very 1950-ish. And the rest of the film is enjoyable if you don't judge it too harshly for looking so much like an episode of "The Time Tunnel".

Director Ib Melchoir has a painfully static way of shooting scenes, holding the camera on uninteresting scenes for far too long. But the story (written by Melchoir himself) really has fun with the time travel concept. And the manner in which he gets his characters from the present to the future is both interest and funny.

They walk.

Scientist Preston Foster and crew open a "time window" in their lab. The window looks like a big view screen, showing a sunlit deser. The scientist simply step through into the future 107 years hence.

But once they are on the other side, the "window" collapses, trapping them in a post-atomic-war world where an underground complex protects the survivors from the murderous mutants on the surface. Androids (portrayed by actors in simple but effective makeup) help the survivors build a rocket in which they hope to escape the ruined Earth.

The scenes showing routine android repair (replacing heads, etc.) are clever, but their purpose in the film is a bit too obvious ("See, folks? These aren't just actors, they're androids!").

Forrest J. Ackerman has a minor role as a technician. The same basic plot was given a less satisfying treatment just three years later in 1967's "Journey to the Center of Time".

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:09 pm; edited 6 times in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fun little sci-fi picture that makes imaginative use of its low budget. Some of the trick effects are simply stage magician's illusions done live in front of the camera.

Watch for Delores Wells, the well-endowed brunette who was Playboy's Miss June 1960.

Last edited by scotpens on Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame this exciting trailer is so dark, but I couldn't find a better version, so here ya go, folks!

Enjoy! Very Happy

___________ The Time Travelers (1964) Trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond the Time Barrier - 1964
I like this movie much better than Bud. I saw it on TV growing up and it is on the DVD Movies 4 You - Sci Fi Classics. I own the DVD.

After all, it has time travel; mutants; a rocket; and a little skin from Delores Wells.

The semi-remake, Journey to the Center of Time (1967) is a piece of junk.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that this movie's time window was the inspiration for Irwin Allen's ''Time Tunnel"(1966-'67)TV show.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the "time travel window" in this movie just a rectangular opening at the front of the lab with a rear projection screen a few feet beyond it which displayed a desert scene?

This made it look as if what appeared in that "window" was showing us the landscape from the time period it was linking up with.

And when one of the scientist decided to go through the "time window" he just stepped through the opening, and the scene cut to the other scientist watching their colleague make this bold move.

The scene then cut back to the time window, and the scientists was shown on the rear projection screen, standing in the dessert location, gazing back at the folks in the lab.

Presto! He was in the future! Very Happy

Except that to me it seemed like a lazy way to do this special effect. I wasn't fooled, and I was pretty sure nobody else would be either. Sad

However, I appreciate the fact that the movie is ambitious and imaginative. I just can't seem to accept it's flaws and appreciate it's virtues. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the factory, and some other scenes in the future they used off the shelf magician's tricks.

They had to create the destruction of the rocket twice. The first time, the camera film loader forgot to load the camera! That had to really cut into the films modest budget. I can't help wondering if the second miniature set was a copy of the first, or if the first rocket and pad was of a different design.

David.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a beautiful HD copy of The Time Travelers. Unfortunately it isn't downloadable.

https://ronemo.com/video/IrNjP7E5lqd/p_IYurEjjEq
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a beautiful copy of the film! Sharp and great color!

Unfortunatley, it is un downloadable. I tried a few methods, but couldn't do it.

Still....What s fun movie to watch! Thank you for the link!!!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm not a fan of this movie, I must admit it includes a lovely lady by the name of Delores Wells.

She was Playboy magazine's Playmate of the Month for its June 1960 issue, and she was one of the cover models in January 1961 — which probably explains the third photo below.

Be still, my foolish heart . . . Shocked

Just to cement my firm adoration for Miss Wells, Wikipedia says, "Wells was from Reading, Pennsylvania, and grew up with an interest in science fiction and becoming a movie star."

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to rewatch this movie.

I remember watching this long ago in the '70s on channel 56 in Boston.

I rewatched it about 10 years ago.

I like it. It's not fine cinema but an entertaining hour and a half.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original working title: Time Trap. "The Time Trap" was the name of an episode on Star Trek: The Animated Series. It had nothing to do with this movie though.

The Time Travelers inspired Irwin Allen's The Time Tunnel TV series in 1966, and the film Journey to the center of Time in 1967. Director Ib Melchoir declined to sue either of these productions because he feared being blacklisted in Hollywood and not getting any more work.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Gene Roddenberry first approached the executives at Desilu Studios about his Star Trek concept, the execs were concerned about the cost of producing a weekly science fiction television series. GR showed them The Time Travelers as an example of how to do a sf series on a limited budget.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The budget. Ah yes . . . it's always about the budget. Rolling Eyes

I realize the term is show business — not show art — so if a series can't attract a sizable audience that sponsors are happy with, the networks can't keep making the series.

Unfortunately this means that television studios are forced to pander to the segment of the population who can't appreciate truly good television. So the studiss become a bit like a gourmet restaurant who can't attract enough customers — so they have to become a fast food franchise that sells hamburgers. Sad

A public who won't watch shows that make them smarter tend to stay dumb. So, they demand more dumb shows as a result.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: