ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old School Movie Habits
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The marquee is hilarious!

Jerry Lewis' Fantastic Voyage is Way ... Way Out!

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually what it says is:

Fantastic Voyage

also Jerry Lewis in

Way . . . Way Out
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but I was alluding to a visual gag that was in the National Lampoon. I couldn't find the original picture but here's a fake-up from Pack Place:

( http://atom.smasher.org/pack/?l1=Tonight%27s+Movies%3A&l2=Alien&l3=Meatballs&l4=Escape+Frm+Alcatraz )

(The original was a drive-in theater marquee.)

The idea was to take movie titles and make humorous connections.

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I miss was the clever advertisements:

Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
Another thing I miss was the clever advertisements

Twenty-four hours of sci-fi movies?! One one hand, it sounds like a lot of fun. On the other, your meals would be expensive and crappy and there'd probably be a lot of snoring. This sort of marathon is what cable TV is good for.
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Butch-
Was Bob Dobbs actually in that ad, or did you photoshop him into it?

EDIT:
"Who is Bob Dobbs?", you might ask. Find out here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._%22Bob%22_Dobbs

Last edited by alltare on Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, you saw a movie from "when you came in" to "when you left", and you stayed as long as you liked.

I remember when I was about 13 years old and taking a bus downtown alone to see the movie THE MUSIC MAN. I went to the first showing and loved it so much I just stayed in my seat through the second showing....then the third....fourth.......People came in dressed in ties and jackets, ladies in dresses etc. I watched that movie until the last patron left and the curtain finally closed.

I walked out of the theatre into the dark...It was early day when I went in. I took the bus home and was in big trouble since it was 11:00 pm and I was supposed to be home for dinner at 5.

Going to the movies was a different experience in the 60's.
Maybe a better one.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
I remember those continuous showings — previews, cartoon, newsreel, main feature, then repeat. I distinctly recall watching TARANTULA twice in one sitting.

Since all the 1950s movies I was able to see during their first run were at drive-ins with my family, I don't remember indoor theaters with showings that included "previews, cartoons, newsreels, and the main feature".

Drive-ins did have cartoons and previews, of course, and the movies were always double features, but naturally there was none of that "staying to see the movie again" at drive-ins.

In fact, I think the only time I stayed to see a movie twice was in 1963 for Jason and the Argonauts. I envy you guys for having theaters close enough to home for you to go with a group of friends when you very young.

If there had been a theater in College Park, GA, I'd have been able to see a lot more sci-fi from the Golden Age while I was young enough to be really be dazzled by them.

Actually I knew that College Park once had a theater, because a furniture store on Main Street still had the distinct theater marquee as part of its store front. But until today I never knew what the theater's name was, nor when it had closed.

But a wonderful website called Cinema Treasures has a brief listing for the College Park theater — which went by the name the Park Theatre) — and one of the registered users of the website added a comment with this bit of info.

"The College Park [Theatre] was also known as the Park Theatre between 1935 and 1946."

Another user added this comment.

In Motiograph’s projectionist trade magazine “The Sound Track,” Volume 4, Number 3 – undated (but almost certainly in late 1944 or early 1945), there is a letter on page 30 which reads:

“Please continue to send us THE SOUND TRACK. I think it has been a great help to all operators. Since we girls took over for the men called to the armed forces, there have been lots of times that this advice from old experienced hands has really come in handy.

Keep it coming my way, please.

INDA CROLEY
Park Theatre
College Park, Georgia"

Even though I never got to enjoy the Park Theatre when I was a kid because it closed in 1946 (two years before I was born), it's nice to finally know a little about its history.

During its brief eleven-year lifespan it was apparently kept alive by several women when WWII took the men who ran it before they got drafted!

The fact that it closed in 1946 might have occurred because the male owner(s) didn't return from the war. A sad thought . . . Sad

So far, I haven't found a photograph of the Park Theatre — and the chances are slime that I ever will. But here's a recent photo of my home town, just to show what a typical "small town" it was . . . and still is! The second photo shows the historic train station and the track that runs through town.

Ah well . . . at least I've finally verified that the old furniture store on Main Street actually used to be the little town's local movie house. If it hadn't been for tragedies related to WWII, it might have stayed open, and I could have enjoyed all those great sci-fi movies I missed when they first came out.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have told this story before, but when STAR WARS first came out (There was no "A New Hope" then!) I had gone to Toronto Canada to view it a week before it was shown in the US (I had read the novelization of it which had been published months ahead of the showing and couldn't believe that a movie of that fanboys dream could ever be made)!.

Upon release in the US I took my then 12 year old son to see it. He sat silently and unmoving through the showing (unusual for him!) and as the lights came up he looked at me with a sense of wonder in his eyes and whispered... "Can we see it again?"

I was awestruck by his immediate love for this film and said, "Sure".

We watched it again....and even though he's now almost 50 years old he still has a terrific love of all things Star Wars.

God...I love that kid!

I had the same experience with my second son on viewing INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM ...but that's a story for another thread!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: