ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Land of the Giants (1968-1970)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch, I bought the Roku stick, plugged it up, and received loads of movies and shows . . . FREE, including CometTV, which is what started this discussion.

As I mentioned earlier, I got mine because Bulldogtrekker got one and recommended it. He was a VERY frugal guy, and he refused to get Netlix because he didn't want to pay the small monthly cost.

But he liked Roku because it was free.

I don't know where you're getting your info, but if you've got DirectTV, read this.

Get a free Roku® Streaming Stick® when you prepay 1 month of DIRECTV NOW (min. $35/mo.)*

And read this too.

Will I be charged a monthly subscription or rental fees?

No.

Roku does not charge a monthly service subscription or monthly equipment rental fees for owning a Roku® streaming player or Roku TV™; nor does it charge for creating a Roku account. However, you may be charged a monthly subscription for services, or channels, available via the Roku Channel Store.

And then read this.

Watch Free TV on Roku with Comet TV. Comet TV is a free sci-fi channel that is now available for Roku. The channel is a live feed of the Comet TV OTA channel that is found via an antenna in many markets.

Now you can watch it without one!

So, buy the channels you want. Don't buy the channels you don't want. But you do NOT need an antennae to watch CometTV, and you don't need to pay one red cent for it either if you get a Roku stick.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTG Trivia } Costing around $250,000, the pilot ''The Crash''
(September 22,1968) was one of the most expensive pilots ever made up to that time.

Episodes took from 6 to 9 days to shoot at around $210,000.

Many of the cast did their own stunt work.

Props were made out of balsa wood or fiberglass.

A number of props were bought from the I Dream of Jeannie TV sitcom.

In a cost saving measure, Irwin Allen was going to remodel the Jupiter 2 space ship from his sci~fi TV show Lost in Space & turn it into the Spindrift ship for LOTG.

He would also revamp the interior of the saucer in order to become the interior for the Spindrift. These ideas were dropped.

Ghost Town, September 29,1968, was one of the few episodes filmed on one of the outdoor backlots of the 20th Century Fox Studio.

It was called the Vermont street & is no longer standing.

Framed, from October 06, 1968 was the highest rated episode of the series.

Last edited by Pow on Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulldogtrekker and I shared a few episodes while chatting on Facebook (something we did almost daily for six years until he passed away), and we enjoyed them. He was a bit more impressed than I was, but our taste often differed.

Despite this, it was still fun watching the movies and shows we shared that way, even when one of us was much more fond of a given feature than the other.

By the way, I talked with Bulldogtrekker's wife, Kay, on the phone recently and she seemed quite happy, despite the loss of her husband several months back. I told her that he was missed by his friends on All Sci-Fi.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTG Episode Fun Facts } ''Underground''October 20,1968.
It is in this episode that establishes the government of the LOTG as a dictatorial one.

''Weird World,''December 22,1968.
Considered by many as the finest episode of the entire series.

The episode indicates that the giant's technology is at least 5 decades behind Earth.

"On a Clear Night You Can See Earth,''January 26,1969.
Supposedly this episode was based upon the 40s classic sci~fi movie "Dr. Cyclops.''

"Shell Game,"April 13,1969.
The shells are props originally created for the movie ''Dr. Doolittle.''

"The Mechanical Man,"September 21,1969.
2 nifty looking props we see for the first time are created by the castaways. A periscope which can extend upwards in great height. And a laser cutting tool.
Unfortunately, we never again see the periscope after this episode.

Last edited by Pow on Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

''A Place Called Earth,'' December 07, 1969.

In the earth year 5477, a pair of time travelers arrive in the LOTG.

Their time machine is the Lost In Space Space Pod.

Another example of Irwin Allen reusing sets, props, & costumes on all of his sci~fi TV series.

"Secret City of Limbo," January 18,1970.

The set for the underground city was the set used in Beneath the Planet of the Apes.
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Another example of Irwin Allen reusing sets, props, & costumes on all of his sci~fi TV series.

Actually, all movie studios reused, and still do, everything they have. Look at "Our Man Fint", Fox used practically every SF prop and set piece they had. The hex panels from "Fantastic Voyage". The control room, deck set, nuclear reactor, and Seaview dock set. The "Batman" nuclear reactor girders in Z.O.W.I.E. hanging in the computer room and the drill on Galaxy island. The Z.O.W.I.E. HQ was the C.M.D.F. set. These cine to mind.

The same with "City Beneath the Sea". Every model from VTTBOTS, the Flying sub set. The JII models and Astrogator as city buildings. The city control room set was used in "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. So were the colored jumpsuits from Fox shows and movies, also the Project Tic-Toc shoulder Patches.

David
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sit back, relax, and enjoy this YouTube video! Very Happy

________ Land of the Giants, promo film (1967)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Giants Are Coming by Jeanette Georgala, Carole Lewin, William E. Anchors, Jr., and Cynthia Liljeblad.

Beautiful Deanna Lund who played the spoiled, swinging, fun-loving socialite, jet-set brat Valerie Ames Scott was a top equestrian in real life and performed on the rodeo circuit.

Deanna and her fellow co-star Don Matheson (Mark Wilson) married in 1970, and in 1971 had a baby daughter, Michele. Deanna and Don sadly divorced in the late seventies, but remained good friends.

Gary Conway (born Gareth Monello Carmody on February 4, 1938) is also a fine artist, and skilled architect and builder. He has designed many fine homes and vineyards in California.

Gary and his wife are devotees of great wines, they developed one of the premier vineyards in California: Silver Canyon Vineyards.

Don Matheson joined the USMC, and later served in the Army Airborne division. Don was transferred to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID). He acted as an agent for the United Nations Command, posted in South Korea.
While in Korea, Don was awarded the Bronze Star for valorous leadership and a Purple heart for injuries suffered in an explosion. His CID work included investigations into the use of narcotics among Army troops.

Don served in the Army for six and a half years, before moving on to join the Detroit Police Department. His experience in investigating narcotics trafficking was soon recognized and he continued with undercover narcotics work for the police.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: