ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Movie Ships Named Enterprise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Movie Ships Named Enterprise Reply with quote

John Eaves On Designing The Enterprise-E

January 2016 marks the 20th anniversary of the conceptual stage of the U.S.S. Enterprise-E. Flashback to 1996 and Star Trek First Contact was ramping up to full production all across the Paramount Pictures lot. Meanwhile, back in the Deep Space Nine art department, we were serving double duty on both the television production and trying to get the look of the second Next Generation movie's architecture designed. Herman Zimmerman (the production designer) had received a beat sheet for the film several months earlier. In the beginning, the film's title was Star Trek Resurrection. However, over at 20th Century Fox, the fourth Alien movie was being made with the same name. It took several months to see which film would keep the title, but in the end Alien won out and our film was to be called First Contact. .....

....One element that was going to make this Enterprise different from the previous ships was that it was designed to fight the Borg. That meant that it had to be more of a battleship than an exploration vessel. So, with that, more sketches came along. I remembered that in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, the E got hit pretty hard with a long phaser blast across the neck of the ship. I thought that if Khan had kept firing for just a second longer the saucer would've been blown clean off from the rest of the ship. That started the idea of a thick neck that tapered into the saucer, effectively eliminating that danger zone on the new E. I finally rendered a few sketches I liked, and one in particular was a profile that started the path to what the final ship would soon look like. It was a profile drawing in blue pencil with a rough sweep of the ship with short nacelles.

- See more at: http://www.startrek.com/article/john-eaves-on-designing-the-enterprise-e#sthash.ErJ7W5Ze.dpuf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: