ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bitter Rice (1949)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey62
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Bitter Rice (1949) Reply with quote

BITTER RICE, Giuseppe De Santis' post-war depiction of female rice-field workers in Northern Italy's Po Valley, is a film classic that defies genre categorization. Part melodrama/film noir/allegory/documentary, it is probably most famous for launching the career of Silvana Mangano who, at 19, not only oozes with earthy sensuality, but also delivers a magnetically charged performance. Her character arcs from a self-assured, independent leader among her co-workers to a desperate, vulnerable and ultimately tragic woman. Mangano is also remembered by fantasy film buffs for co-starring with Kirk Douglas in ULYSSES (1954), in which she plays the dual roles of Ulysses' wife Penelope and Circe, the siren queen.

The plot in BITTER RICE deals with the rice pickers' most beloved comrade (Mangano) who gets mixed up with a small-time criminal (Vittorio Gassman) and agrees to aid him in stealing the harvested crop. Meanwhile, the crook's girlfriend and accomplice (Doris Dowling) begins to reform upon meeting an army sergeant (Raf Vallone) stationed in the valley. What lies central in the film is the role reversal between the two main female characters and the moral conflicts that result.

Director De Santis has this all play out within a neorealist style that also embraces familiar Hollywood trappings, making BITTER RICE the pulpy masterpiece it deservedly holds claim to being.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitter Rice (1949) Reply with quote

Casey62 wrote:
Mangano is also remembered by fantasy film buffs for co-starring with Kirk Douglas in ULYSSES (1954), in which she plays the dual roles of Ulysses' wife Penelope and Circe, the siren queen.

Oh, that Sylvana Mangano. Rar-r-r-rar-r-r-r...

` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` Penelope from Ulysses.

WayneO
-----------

Last edited by orzel-w on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, Casey, you're good at this . . . Very Happy

I've probably seen this movie listed on TCM over the years and didn't feel the slightest urge to even read the synopsis, much less watch it, because I was pretty sure it was a drama and not, well . . . you know . . . sci-fi.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I do watch lots of movies in other genres. I mean, I've made posts in this section about classics like The Fountainhead, The Long, Hot Summer, and Smokey and the Bandit (which has it's roots in Hamlet, if you really drink about it . . . I mean think about it Embarassed ).

But your review of Bitter Rice makes me want to watch this movie for several reasons — one of which is to get a good look at Silvana Mangano and some of that earthy sensuality she oozes. And if the poster is any indication, I might have to watch the movie with one eye closed to keep from going completely blind! Shocked

Meanwhile, click on the poster and enjoy the YouTube tribute to Miss Mangano, which I watched with one eye closed just to be on safe side.
Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Casey62
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nod, Bud. Believe me - Mangano practically owns this movie. For years I've only known about BITTER RICE from that famous shot of her standing in the rice field in a tight, form fitting sweater and shorts. She delivers that aspect of it in spades, but it also truly is one helluva movie.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow-up to my earlier post, here's a shot of Mangano as Circe from Ulysses.

` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `Circe from Ulysses.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zowie! This gal is like a Greek goddess! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another poster which features the sensuous beauty of Miss Mangano!

_______________________ Bitter Rice - clip

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She could put your eyes out with those things!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: