ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, I went to the eye doctor . . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading an online review of Silver Nitrate, a new paranormal thriller by Mexican author Silvia Moreno-Garcia. The title supposedly refers to the chemically unstable and highly flammable material that was used for movie film before the 1950s.

Only problem is, the stuff she was thinking of is cellulose nitrate -- which she's apparently confusing with silver halide, the chemical compound in film emulsion that turns dark when exposed to light.

At one time, silver nitrate eyedrops were put in the eyes of newborn infants to prevent neonatal conjunctivitis. Nowadays modern antibiotics are used.

For all I know, Silver Nitrate may be a great book -- but the author needs a remedial course in chemistry!
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few humorous thoughts which came to me recently.

Do masochists make good dental patients? After all, enduring pain is what they love! Confused

Conversely, do sadists make good dentist? After all, inflicted pain is a necessary part of their profession! Sad

And finally, here's a novel idea I came up with! Very Happy

What's the best way to find a needle in a haystack?

Simple! Just burn down the haystack! That way the silver needle will end up sitting on top of the chard black ashes, clearly visible for all to see! Cool

Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Do masochists make good dental patients? After all, enduring pain is what they love! Confused

Conversely, do sadists make good dentist? After all, inflicted pain is a necessary part of their profession! Sad

A viewing of both versions of "Little Shop Of Horrors" could answer your questions. Jack Nicholson was the masochistic patient in the first version. Steve Martin is the sadist Dentist in the second.

David.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago, I had lunch with my 94-year-old dad and his wife (his third) at a local delicatessen. I arrived a few minutes early and didn't see them there, so I asked the hostess if she had seen an elderly gentleman with a cane. That's when I realized I was describing half the customers in the place. I might as well have asked her, "Did you happen to see an old Jew come in here?"
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot, please tell us how this drama played out! Shocked

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No drama, really. My dad and Ingrid showed up a few minutes later and we all had a nice lunch together.

BTW, Ingrid is a very talented commercial artist. Here's a link to her website:

https://ingridhaenke.com/
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingrid's artwork is stunning! This is one impressive talent, Scot. Thanks for sharing.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever wondered why the furniture in Western saloons seems to break apart so easily during those Hollywood bar fights? I thought I knew, but actual answer surprised me. Confused

Most of the furniture that was carried out West on wagon trains in the 1800s was designed to be easily disassembled and loaded into the wagons to save space. Then it was reassembled once the wagon train's reached there destinations.

For that reason, whenever there was a brawl in those frontier barrooms, the battling buckaroos would collide with the tables and chair, causing them to come apart again with surprising ease, resulting in fewer injuries! This is not just what happns in the movies!

The owners of those old saloons could quickly reassemble the furniture after the fight! Shocked:

In Western movies we see the same thing. The saloons are put back in order by the very next scene. Hollywood stole the basic idea, of course. and created "break-away" furniture, except that use less sturdy materials for the obvious reason.

Incidentally, the great-great-great grandson of the inventor or those easily-reassemble tables and chair was the inventor of LEGOs in 1932. Very Happy

(Okay, raise your hand if believed all that bullshit I just made up. Rolling Eyes)

OUCH! Gotcha! Gee, I oughta be a writer! :Cool

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A scene I always got a kick out of was from the fun 1988 movie, Sunset.

James Garner plays an older Wyatt Earp (Garner played Earp in the 1967 film The Hour of the Gun), & Bruce Willis plays silent western movie star Tom Mix. Tom is taking Wyatt on a tour of a movie studio, when they both stop to watch the stuntmen perform an elaborate western saloon brawl with table crashes, chairs broken, folks flying over the bar.

After the scene is done, Wyatt says to Tom: "I never saw a saloon fight like that in my life."
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first read Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland at the age of 7. In the more than 60 years since, I never really noticed one peculiar thing about the Mock Turtle -- he has the head, hind feet and tail of a calf!

The meat in mock turtle soup actually comes from a calf's head (making it technically veal, I suppose), and has a taste and texture very similar to that of green turtle flesh. Maybe that's why mock turtle soup is seldom made and served nowadays -- today's restaurant patrons might be a tad squeamish about eating the head of a young cow.

So it seems the artist John Tenniel was having a bit of a visual joke there.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud's Thought for the Day!

Being the "smartest person in the room" isn't much fun if none of the other people are bright enough to give you an intelligent conversation! Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Page 25 of 25

Jump to: