ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Martian (2015)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: The Martian (2015) Reply with quote

'

One of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time is Robinson Crusoe on Mars. And now this movie comes along, a brilliant and heartwarming story that is basically a remake in the best sense of the word. It expands the concept way beyond the straightforward survival story and turns it into a team effort on the part of mankind to do something incredibly brave and noble.

Matt Damon does a great job doing exactly what Paul Mantee did — demonstrating just how courageous a man can be under extreme circumstances.

This is science fiction at its very best.

The designs of the spaceship, the spacesuits, the interiors, and the Mars rover are absolutely gorgeous. I'm a design junkie; to me a well-crafted tool is just as beautiful as a work of art.

Speaking of which, the special effects are pure works of art too, making this movie as inspiring to look at as it is to think about.

Ridley Scott gave me exactly what I want from a science fiction film. It's pure art, pure intellect, pure optimism, and pure nobility. This was as inspiring as the Disney "science fact" episodes from the 1950s — and by God, we need it!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The only criticism I could come up with for this movie was by virtue of having read the book first... something I always try to avoid.

The book conveyed the feeling of spending several hundred mission days on Mars. The movie, as movies do, had to condense the plot, which ended up making some of the crises out to be more like minor annoyances, and feeling more like a time span of two or three months; sort of what it might have been like if 2001 had been condensed down to a 1-hour TV time slot

WayneO
-----------
Rick
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree completely. I saw this in the theater and just ate it up with a spoon. Matter of fact, if it had been like the old days, with continuous showings, I'd have stuck around to see it again.

It reminded me of some of Arthur C. Clarke's stuff, particularly early work like THE SANDS OF MARS; stories in which simple daily life and basic existence on alien planets makes up more of the story than does any drama or conflict.

As a fan of hard science-fiction...well...not that hard. Maybe semi- (cough cough), I love tales of humans dealing scientifically with seemingly insurmountable difficulties.

I 'spect I'll pick up a Blu-ray of this one, because I can imagine wanting to watch it several more times.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have bought it if I'd known how good it was. But I didn't have to, because I took advantage of Randy Everett's generous offer to burn a Blu-ray of it for anyone who was interested. I received it day before yesterday.

If I find out the commercial BD has good special features, I might still buy it. The movie is awesome!

Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it didn't win the best picture Oscar last night, but at least it won the Golden Globe last month for best comedy.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By gum, it sure did. Sort of.

http://www.goldenglobes.com/film/martian

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife tried out a recipe for vegan scalloped potatoes the other day (they're good!). My reaction on seeing the finished product was to rechristen them "Martian Potatoes".

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great video about that amazing movie. You'll enjoy it, guys.

25 Facts You Didn't Know About The Martian

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
This is a great video about that amazing movie. You'll enjoy it, guys.

And I did. #19, though, is incorrect. As another viewer pointed out in the comments, Watney did get impaled in the book as well.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things are actually pretty funny even when the movie doesn't deserve to be ribbed. Very Happy

alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE MARTIAN is my kind of scifi -- believable science and no hysterics. I place it among my top 5 favorite science fiction movies.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 30-minute "Making of . . . " that's probably a bonus feature from the DVD. Enjoy! Very Happy

________ The Martian (2015) Behind the Scenes

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found quite a few interesting trivia items for The Martian at IMDB.

In the beginning, it is mentioned that a compromised space suit would cause decompression, giving someone about a minute to live. This is scientifically correct; contrary to popular belief, acute decompression in space or a planet with very low pressure like Mars does not cause the body to immediately explode or expand. Major effects include confusion, loss of consciousness and some subdermal bleeding, but it is generally agreed that a healthy human body can survive one minute in vacuum without life-threatening consequences.

Note from me: Well, well . . . the famous scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey really is quite possible. Very Happy

The atmospheric pressure on the Martian surface averages 600 Pa (0.087 psi), about 0.6% of Earth's mean sea level pressure of 100 kPa (14.69 psi). It is so low that a "fierce storm", as they put it, would be something akin to a very light breeze messing up your hair. Author Andy Weir admitted this was his biggest inaccuracy in the story. Due to the low air density sound would not travel like it does on Earth and you would have to stand next to someone and scream for them to hear you, providing you could survive the freezing cold temperature, poisonous atmosphere and lack of pressure.

Note from me: Son of a gun, I never thought of this before. I knew the air was way too thin to breath, and I've read that the planet-wide dust storms we've heard about for years were not at all like dust storms on Earth. But the fact that the air is so thin you couldn't be heard by someone standing near you never occurred to me. I'll remember this the next time I watch the movie the picture below is from.

When NASA and Watney first establish written communication, Watney drops an F-bomb. He is warned to watch his language because everything he types is being broadcast globally. In the film, his response is not shown, only the reaction of others. In the novel, his response is, "Look! A pair of boobs! -> (.Y.) ".

Note from me: I wondered if the rest of a female torso could be drawn using characters like that. Turns out, it can! Wink

The film ends with Mark back on Earth acting as a teacher to a group of prospective astronauts. None of this is in the novel, which ends with the crew having rescued Watney, and beginning the trip back to Earth. Watney entering in his log, "This is the happiest day of my life."

Note from me: I LOVED the follow-up scenes at the end which showed how the rescue of the stranded astronaut inspired mankind's new interest in space exploration. Very Happy

In both the movie and the novel, Watney grows his own food by planting potato eyes in the ground. He fertilizes the plants with human waste and creates liquid water for the crop out of rocket fuel. Given what is already known about Martian soil, there's no reason why this wouldn't work in real life. Bruce Bugbee, a botanist who's worked with NASA, told Tech Insider.

Note from me: Whenever I watch Conqust of Space I scoff at the notion that Sgt. Imoto could grow a flower on Mars. Admittedly he doesn't give the flower the kind of assistance which the astronaut in The Martian gave his potato plants, but I guess the concept isn't quiet so ridiculous after all! Shocked

And his reasons for wanting to try the experiment are eloquently described in the scene shown below — the one part of this movie which has well-written dialog, delivered with a fine piece of acting.

__________ Conquest of Space: Imoto's speech

The Gloria Gaynor song "I Will Survive" that plays during the end credits is not only relevant due to its status as a loathed disco song and that Watney managed to survive all those months on the inhospitable surface of Mars. The song is also appropriate because it contains the phrase "And so you're back from outer space".

Note from me: Rock on, Gloria! Cool

_________________________ I Will Survive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: