ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This Island Earth (1955)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Just for fun I flipped the saucer over and did some quick repainting.

That looks much better, quickie or not. (I have a hunch the original matte paintings were done even quicker.)

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just another way of proving that the saucer we see in the distance from the top of the Monitor building is painted wrong.

I know, I know — we all agree it's wrong, but while winning this argument all over again on the CHFB (several folks there thought the small saucer was painted correctly) I made some new screen grabs to prove my point, and I turned up a few new things.

So, here goes.

The picture below, taken during the saucer's final approach, shows the Monitor building without being partial obscured by the saucer on it's landing pad.

A CHFB member tried to say that the distant saucer in the view from the top of the monitor complex couldn't be the one that Exeter arrived in, because it doesn't sit on a pedestal attached to a big building, like Exeter's saucer does.

But that's easy to explain. The artist screwed up. He just didn't sweat the fact that the saucer in the distance was not painted correctly in several ways. He only painted the slender elevator shaft, completely leaving out the large building and the platform we see supporting it when viewed from the other painting, close to the saucer.

If we go a little crazy with the brightness and contrast we can see a wealth of details the artist should have painted when he created the view from the other direction —

— including this interesting little detail I noticed for the first time when I made the jpeg above yesterday: a straight horizontal transport tube that runs directly from the mid-section of the Monitor building over to the saucer's landing pad! It's almost impossible to see unless the brightness is exaggerated.

The presence of this straight, horizontal transport tube — running dead level from the saucer to the midpoint of the building — proves that the saucer is much lower than the top of the building. Therefore we should not be seeing the bottom of the saucer from the highest level of the building — we should be looking down on it from above.

The only thing in the painting showing the view from the top of the building which agrees with the painting of the view from the area below the saucer is the elevator tube from the oddly suspended saucer — clearly an error made by the artist.

So, even though the artist wanted us to see that the transport tube curved upward and went directly to the Monitor building in this painting (as Wayne first pointed out on this thread months ago Very Happy ) —

— he did a piss poor job of accurately painting what the saucer and most of it's surrounding structures would look like from the high, distant view in this painting.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a fan-created interpretation video of the Metaluna Criuser's interior. It's interesting concepts, even if he has some incorrect statements.

"3D tour of Exeter's Ship from the movie This Island Earth * Scifisteve"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwWkD0kMeKA

I think there were more than one filming model of the saucer used! One was made of aluminum. And I still believe the 'casting dimples' shown in captures, were intended to be porthole windows.

A quote from Jordan Travelyan, in that video's 'Comments':

Quote:
Jordan Travelyan 2 months ago
From the production notes available, the starship was made of cast aluminum with clearly defined texturing across the hull, similar to azdecing seen on more recent miniatures. When the ship is shown returning to earth and entering the Earth's atmosphere, alcohol was sprayed over the bow and then ignited to simulate the intense heat of a vessel traveling through air at tremendous speeds. It was a very heavy miniature.

This is not the 1st time I've seen this stated. I recall someone on the IMDB discussion board posting that as well, a few years ago. And he claimed to have been involved in the movie production, if I remember correctly. I am unable to find that informative discussion thread now.

For me... the so-called 'dimples' shall be viewing portholes, as stated in the 2008 book: "The Flying Saucer Fleet" — despite any 'light angle discrepancies that Bud's elaborate image-capture detective work shows. LOL, why would they leave 'casting dimples' on a filming model?

Nineteen portholes on each of the upper and lower decks, equals possibility for 38 crew/passenger cabins.

I like the video's concepts of: adding a 'weapons ring' around the perimeter of the saucer; the sub-light-speed (and wormhole) drive engine; and the magnetic field generators in the disk portion of the saucer.

With some alterations to the old (lame) command deck... this is a good saucer for humans to use, to land a small colony, on an alien planet! We need only to get Exeter's saucer retrieved from the sea floor, and get to work on re-fit and duplication of it.
Wink
Tired of waiting on NASA to adopt Flying Saucer technology! Sick of human political-representative government! I want 1970: COLOSSUS (The Forbin Project) A.I. - as World Control government! Providing flying saucer tech, "For the betterment of man."
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post, Larry! Thanks. I've seen SciFiSteves videos on the saucers from This Island Earth, Forbidden Planet, and Earth vs the Flying Saucers. He's a very creative guy. Very Happy

About the "casting dimples", no one on this thread has defined the bumps with that term, and I'm sure they were intentional design features, not some remnant of the construction process.

The fact that we all had to exam several screen grabs carefully to determine they were convexed bumps and not concaved depressions proves that the designers were correct in assuming that these portholes (or gun ports, as I contend) didn't have to be lighted holes in the model to give to the appearance they wanted.

As for retrieving the saucer from the sea floor . . . good luck with that one. It was engulfed in flames in the final moments before it hit the water really hard . . . and exploded. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contend that the explosion of the saucer hitting the water... was just that of seawater becoming an instant cloud of steam, from the super-hot hull of the ship. No ship fragments seen in it, or floating after impact. Wink
Tired of waiting on NASA to adopt Flying Saucer technology! Sick of human political-representative government! I want 1970: COLOSSUS (The Forbin Project) A.I. - as World Control government! Providing flying saucer tech, "For the betterment of man."
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the human colonist delivered to an alien planet would need one or two LIS "Chariot" land vehicles. But what type of submarine would they use to explore the planet's seas? The Metaluna saucer could 'air-deploy' (and retrieve) the sub using it's bottom hatch abduction/tractor beam.

The VTTBOTS "Flying Sub" comes to mind.

But . . . I think I'd prefer to re-purpose the alien ships style seen in 1964 "Robinson Crusoe on Mars". Their shape-style is based on a Manta Ray fish (as is that of the VTTBOTS "Flying Sub") — but more stylish with no rear fins. And this sub could vertically land/launch with out a runway — unlike the Voyage "Flying Sub"! Hopefully this re-purposed flying sub would include an airlock — unlike the Voyage one. And nice if it also included seating for four and a small sleeping/cooking area, like the lab room on the 1966 Fantastic Voyage "Proteus" submarine. But still small enough for passage through the bottom hatch of the Metaluna colonizing saucer — as did the airplane, in this movie.

I'd like to see that ship being deployed (over the sea) in the green beam beneath the Metaluna saucer. Smile

Last edited by larryfoster on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryfoster wrote:
The VTTBOTS "Flying Sub" comes to mind.

Okay, is this a manta ray shape, or a stingray shape?

David.
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a Manta Ray and a Sting Ray are the same, or close.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryfoster wrote:

Perhaps, but can they inter-marry without being ostracized by the less tolerant members of marine society? You know the old story: girl dolphin loves boy shark, but her family and her friends won't accept him!

Oh, wait . . that was Jets and Sharks . . . in West Side Story.

Concerning the possibility that the saucer survived it's fiery descent into the ocean, the evidence makes it seems unlikely.

If the ship's hull was just being superheated by the air friction — and not being broken down by the heat — it would only have glowed red hot (or white hot) without emitting plumes of flame and smoke the way meteors do when they enter the atmosphere and burn up. Confused

And if the ship's hull was so indestructible it could survive the high-speed impact with the ocean, it wouldn't have been reduced to a shapeless fireball before it ever hit the water. Sad

And if that billowing cloud was just an explosion of steam from the seawater when it hit, we wouldn't see those blue masses of water splashing upward above the hot, glowing cloud of smoke with burning fragments of the saucer radiating away from the explosion. Shocked

Sorry, Larry, but that wonderful saucer was vaporized by the crash . . . Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:17 pm; edited 6 times in total
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those flames and smoke before water entry... is the hull-paint burning off.

And those "blue masses" splashing up after water entry... are steam-cooked fish, crabs, etc. There is nothing in your last capture image that can be 'definitively' seen and called: a piece of the ship. Razz

The ship (containing Exeter's bones)... remains intact, and awaiting discovery and retrieval from the bottom of the sea!
Wink
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
If the ship's hull was just being superheated by the air friction...

Common misconception carried with us throughout life from old wives' tales fed to us in childhood. It's not friction from the air, but rather compression of the air that heats up bodies traveling faster than sound. You can make (or buy) fire starters that work on the same principle.

WayneO
-----------
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'd like to restore those cool WotW-style 'green-illuminated wing tips' to my re-purposed RCoM flying sub. But not the (ugly) WotW periscope 'heat ray'.

My Metaluna 'Flying Sub' could not be larger than 41-feet, to permit it to pass through the 43-feet diameter hatch of the bottom of the Metaluna 'colonizing' saucer. Allowing 1-foot clearance around it.

And it's large front view port would be of a material 'harder than diamond' (for water impact from air flight), and it's transparency would be adjustable from full transparent to full opaque.
Very Happy
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryfoster wrote:

Stingray: http://www.elasmodiver.com/Sharkive%20images/Atlantic%20Stingray%20100.jpg

Manta Ray: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Br1rQvAweME/TUru8IWL0PI/AAAAAAAAAP0/qwlsfncyJCk/s1600/manta_ray.jpg

David.
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
larryfoster wrote:

Stingray: http://www.elasmodiver.com/Sharkive%20images/Atlantic%20Stingray%20100.jpg

Manta Ray: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Br1rQvAweME/TUru8IWL0PI/AAAAAAAAAP0/qwlsfncyJCk/s1600/manta_ray.jpg

David.

Ok... I'll go with the Sting Ray style. It does not have the downward floppy things on it's front - like the Manta Ray.
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the 1st group of crew/colonist aboard my Metaluna colonist ship...

They are from the 1994 "Earth 2" tv series, which contained many more members in it's 'Eden Advance' group.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: