ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never noticed it in the movie, but the Alien Overlords are said to have been played by midgets. Possibly they rented the "Destination Moon" spacesuits, that were made for the midget actors used for the long distance scenes.

If you want a good look at the Overlord rayguns, then watch the episode of "The Outer Limits" named "Soldier". The movie "Project X", used many of the props, including the rayguns.

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
I never noticed it in the movie, but the Alien Overlords are said to have been played by midgets. Possibly they rented the "Destination Moon" spacesuits, that were made for the midget actors used for the long distance scenes.

It's hard to be sure, but at the 6:00 mark on the clip below, when Draper is looking at the video he made of the slaves and the overlords, we only get one brief moment when an overlord is standing near a slave, an the slave does seem to be much taller.

However, when the overlords run after a slave trying to escape, they don't seem to move the way midgets do because of their short legs. Perhaps they just cast tall men as slaves (six feet or better) and short men as overlords (around five feet).

But it's difficult to tell because of the way the camera is yanked around so much.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone post pictures of those props?

Last edited by Eadie on Wed May 20, 2020 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are so touchy, fast and anxious to take offense today, that this discussion may not end well, but...

Bud, midgets are in scale, which is why they were used in "Destination Moon" and other productions for the forced perspective shots. Children are also used, but you can run into all sorts of restrictions that you don't have with an adult midget. Dwarfs have a normal size body and head, but short legs and arms. The great Michael Dunn was a dwarf.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO Krell, Not offensive at all.
Only the "up-tight politicly correct" take offense at reality.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Dwarfs have a normal size body and head, but short legs and arms. The great Michael Dunn was a dwarf.

I saw a midget in a old movie yesterday, and his body proportions were normal, so I was wrong when I said " . . . when the overlords run after a slave trying to escape, they don't seem to move the way midgets do because of their short legs."

Obviously I WAS thinking of dwarfs, not midgets. So, the screen shot I posted seems to prove that midgets were indeed used as the overlords.

Perhaps the filmmakers wanted the difference between the human-like slaves and the shorter overlords to accent the fact that they were not the same species. But the scene was filmed and edited in such a way that we never realized the aliens were shorter.

In the one brief moment where we can make any kind of comparison, the slave is in the low-lying area which held the pool of dry ice fog, and the overlord is standing on a rock. So his head is actually higher than the slaves.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Krel.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
So his head is actually higher than the slaves.

Well his helmet is. Laughing It is a large helmet, and it adds a few inches to the man's height.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Well his helmet is. Laughing It is a large helmet, and it adds a few inches to the man's height.

That's a good observation, David!

The fact that the helmet makes this man look taller, and his feet are higher than the slave's because he's standing on a rock, seems to be clear evidence that he is in fact much shorter than the slave!

Despite the fact that I've seen this movie many times over the years, I'd never noticed the difference in height between the overlords and the slaves.

David, you've clearly proved that the filmmakers used "little people" as the alien overlords. And even though I've always resented the silly way they presented the cruel alien slave masters, it helps to know that they at least made them seem a bit less "human" by being significantly shorter.

Thanks for doing that. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poster concept by Boris Grinsson:

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If this is Friday....

Can Saturday be far behind?"

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slaver's mother ship:

Various survival gear:

Krel

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a statement recently from Byron Haskins, where he didn't know that they used the WOTW's War Machine design until he saw the finished effects.

I found some photos of the rescue ship. I don't believe that the used it.

With no capsules, I assume that the SRG-3 is suppose to be a much larger ship, with a lander on the nose.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gprd Green posted a fascinating article in SCIENCE now, add FICTION later. Here's an excerpt from his post, followed by some exciting ideas that it inspired. Very Happy

Gord Green wrote:
We’ve long known that the intestines could take up chemical components and deliver them to the rest of the body . . . but it was unclear if the same or similar processes could be used to get oxygen into the blood stream.

To test the hypothesis, scientists created a scenario in which pigs and mice in a laboratory were deprived of normal respiration, and ventilated via the intestines.

Unsurprisingly, control animals who were deprived of respiration and received no intestinal ventilation, died after about 11 minutes.

But 75% of those animals who received pressurized oxygen into the rectum, survived for an hour, the total length of the experiment.

The beauty of this discovery is that it puts a brand new slant on something we see in Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

I'm referring to the idea that Friday and astronaut Christopher Draper took "oxygen pills" to survive on the Red Planet.

However, if a pill could somehow deliver oxygen to the digestive system (as shown in the experiment described above), then those oxygen pills aren't as far fetched as we thought. But how could a pill contain enough oxygen to provide more than a few seconds of air?

Ah-ha! Maybe that's asking the wrong question. Mr. Green

Perhaps the pill causes water (H2O) in the men's stomachs to break down into hydrogen and oxygen. Whenever Friday and Christopher drank water, they were providing their bodies with oxygen which was absorbed through their intestines.

How could it do this? Well, to answer that question we must think like citizens of the 21st century — which we are! Cool

Supposed these "pills" are composed of nanites surrounded by a shell which dissolves in the stomach, When that happens the nanites go to work breaking down some of the water the men consumed, turning it into oxygen and hydrogen.

If that doesn't sound like it could produce enough oxygen for the two men, I looked up the following question.

How much breathable oxygen is in a gallon of water?

The answer shocked me!

One gallon of water contains 3.785 kg of water or about 210 moles.

If completely decomposed into hydrogen and oxygen, 210 moles of water would yield 105 moles of pure oxygen..

At 1 atmosphere and 20°C, this oxygen occupies a volume of 2.52 cubic meters.

A quick search puts the average human oxygen consumption at 5–6 ml/minute. At this rate, 2.52 cubic meters of oxygen would last . . . 290–350 days!

Holy crap! Friday and Christopher could drink and few extra cups of water a day and survive on the oxygen which the nanites produce!

After these self-propelled nanites have created oxygen and hydrogen molecules from the water molecules, they'd carry them down into the small intestines where they would be delivered into the blood stream. This would occur much more efficiently than in the experiment described above by Gord.

The nanites would then deactivate and pass on through the intestines.

As for the hydrogen they also created in the process, I discovered this.

Inhalation of 2.4% hydrogen gas does not appear to cause clinically significant adverse effects in healthy adults.

So, the nanites could actually allow some of the hydrogen to be mixed with the oxygen in the blood without harming Friday or Christopher. But most of it would, of course, be retained by nanites and carried out of the body.

Since the movie indicates that the oxygen pills have to be taken periodical, we know the nanites in a single pill apparently can't remain in the body and perform the oxygen creation over and over. Obviously they have a limited life span.

However, some of the nanites themselves could enter the blood stream with a "cargo" of oxygen molecules, which would then be released as needed whenever the blood oxygen level was low.

Guys, if anybody thinks I'm giving the alien slave masters too much credit for such advanced technology, consider the fact that they have interstellar spaceships which use an inertia-less drive! Very Happy

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OF course excess hydrogen would be expelled from the intestine as flautus! This hydrogen could then be harvested and used as fuel !

Brilliant solution Bud!!!

I can see it now...."We're going to take off! Quick Friday, fart in the fuel tank!"

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gord. I had a ball puzzling out that whole crazy idea. But I never would have thought of it if you hadn't shared that amazing article with us. Very Happy

I, too, thought about what would happen if the hydrogen wasn't carefully removed from the body — but I refrained from addressing the subject because I knew that you or some other clever member would have fun pondering the consequences of a person being filled with the same stuff that caused this little mishap. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: