ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monkey Business (1952)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject: Monkey Business (1952) Reply with quote

I was surprised that MB wasn't already listed here because we just watched it on All Sci-Fi this past week.

Monkey Business is a 20th Century Fox production that was first released on September 5, 1952. It was written by Harry Segal (Academy Award winner for his screenplay for the film Here Comes Mr. Jordan which was based upon his play Heaven Can Wait), Ben Hecht, Charles Lederer (screenplay for The Thing From Another World), and I. A. L. Diamond (Some Like It Hot, The Fortune Cookie). So these gents had some awesome writing credits between them.

Directed by Howard Hawks whose impressive credits include His Girl Friday, To Have and Have Not, The Big Sleep, The Thing (uncredited), The Big Sleep, Rio Bravo, and El Dorado.

Monkey Business is a screwball comedy with science fiction and romantic elements. It stars Cary Grant, Ginger Rogers, Charles Coburn, and Marilyn Monroe.

Dr. Barnaby Fulton (Cary Grant) is an absent-minded research chemist who works for the Oxly Chemical Company and who is attempting to develop an elixir of youth.

One of the laboratory chimpanzees, Esther, manages to escape from her cage one night and proceeds to mix up a beaker of chemicals which she then pours into the lab water cooler. The chemicals result in a rejuvenating effect, the very thing that Barnaby has been seeking.

With no one aware of this revolutionary new youth elixir mixed in with the water cooler, over time Barnaby, his wife, and others drink from the water cooler with hilarious results.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review, Mike! Very Happy

By the way, I debated whether or not to move this thread here to Movies in Other Genres. After all, any serious movie about a formula which had such a strong positive effect on the human body would definitely be science fiction.

But since this great comedy presented the idea just to generate humorous moments, I decided it wouldn't really qualify as sci-fi, so I relocated.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, Bud, the "humorous moments" are the result of the mixing up of a collection of chemicals that physically rejuvenates humans. The formula is science based in this case, its fiction because it doesn't exist at all.

How is MB not science fiction, yet Ice Station Zebra is?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, what the heck. Ya got me. I'll move it back. Very Happy

However, I should point out that Ice Station Zebra is about a satellite that could take high-solution images of the Earth's surface . . . . long before today's technology became capable of doing this. Confused

This was a scientific breakthrough that threatened the stability of the world's nuclear powers! Shocked

Today we have satellites far superior to the one in that movie . . . and the superpower nations use the data they get against each other in ways we can't imagine!

Compare that to a whimsical tale about a fluid which causes anything — like a baseball — to be repelled by objects made of wood. Cool

Frankly it seems a bit too whimsical to be considered as science fiction in the strictest sense.

However, I guess if we're willing to regard comedy movies starring Abbott and Costello and Three Stooges as science fiction, we should be willing to include this one, too. D

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fearless Leader. If It Happens Every Spring and The Absent-Minded Professor qualify as science fiction movies, then we just gotta include MB in along with 'em.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you seem to be saying is that if a movie takes a comedic approach in its style but still is clearly based upon a science fiction premise, you don't consider it sf? My apologies if I've misinterpreted your remarks.

Isn't sf comprised of many other genres in films and television? It has been coupled with horror (The Thing From Another World, Alien, Aliens), war (War of the Worlds, Independence Day), mystery (Forbidden Planet, This Island Earth) political/social commentary (The Manchurian Candidate, On The Beach), satire (The Man In The White Suit), romance (Monkey Business, Somewhere In Time), and even westerns like Cowboys and Aliens.

So why is comedy exempt from being included if the primary plot point is sf in nature? I don't feel the two are any more exclusive from one another than sf is from any of those genres I've cited. We've also seen sf works that are dramatic but include moments of humor. "The Trouble With Tribbles" on ST: TOS is an example. For me, comedy and sf when well written go together just like soup and sandwiches. . . or any other genre.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first of all, I did move it back to the sci-fi forum at your request, so obviously I think your opinion has some justification. Laughing

But you're wondering if I can defend my initial feeling that Monkey Business didn't really qualify as science fiction just because it had a mild element of psudo-science to explain all the comic behavior.

I suspect we'll get a few dissenting opinions on the subject, in view of the fact that Monkey Business is, first and foremost a comedy — and the alleged "science fiction" element is difficult to defend.

But you know me, Mike. I'll debate anything just for the fun of it, so here goes nothin'. Wink

First of all, I disagree that "the primary plot point is sf in nature". The "youth formula" is really just a MacGuffin which substitutes the formula for a drug or alcoholic beverage which made Cary Grant and Ginger Rogers act silly.

But consider the fact that no real medical science is even mentioned which might explain why they became "younger". Heck, they just got intoxicated!

Admittedly the formula did temporarily improve Cary Grant's vision so he didn't need his glass for a while. But other than that, he just acted like he was under the influence of some "recreational drug" that made him think he was younger.

In fact, his increased energy and high spirits are things that cocaine could produce.

So, I'm not saying the movie isn't science fiction just because it IS a comedy. I'm just saying it doesn't present a very convincing "fictional scientific breakthrough" to make it sci-fi. Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reality exists that there are numerous decent sf movies and TV series that don't offer credible 'fictional scientific breakthrough' on everything within the interior logic of their overall premise.

An example would be good ole' Star Trek. Creator Gene Roddenberry wanted as much scientific accuracy as possible for his brand new 1966 show. He consulted with scientific experts on many aspects of how the star ship Enterprise would operate. To that end he went with the theoretical concept of an engine system that was based on anti-matter working with matter. It was the best possible explanation for creating a space vessel that could travel faster-than-light. Sounded reasonable.

The ship also has the transporters that break down the molecular structure of organic beings and then successfully reintegrate them somewhere else. Fantasy. Oh they did offer all sorts of techno-babble about it on the original show, and even more on ST: TNG.

The result is you have to have a willing suspension of disbelief. Or you can like their explanation as to how the engines operate, but not on buying into the transporter system technology . . . and having it happen in 200 years.

Monkey Business did not explain in some kind of theoretical detail just how the formula worked to your satisfaction, and that's all well and good. I have films and TV shows that I enjoy but question some of their concepts.

However, with MB, or It Happens Every Spring, or The Absent-Minded Professor, you just have to go with it and the writers intent.

MacGuffin: An object, event, or character whose main purpose is to advance the plot of a motion picture.

I would contend that you are right that the youth chemical is a MacGuffin. But it is still crucial to to the story. It's effects upon the cast is the plot, you cannot have one without the other.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, those are very valid comments one and all, Mike.

But the point we need to remember is that there was no fictional scientific breakthrough which required the viewer's suspension of disbelief — the way warp drive and transporters do.

The formula simply didn't work. The characters only thought it did, because they were high as a kite! Shocked

A failed science experiment which discovers nothing new is quite different from a science experiment which reveals a new discovery. How can Monkey Business be science fiction if there was no actual scientific discovery! Confused

Quote:
. . . you are right that the youth chemical is a MacGuffin. But it is still crucial to to the story. It's effects upon the cast is the plot, you cannot have one without the other.

Unfortunately the formula's effect on the characters was apparently just a drug-induced euphoria — not a miraculous restoration of their youth.

Compare this "imagined scientific breakthrough" to the "imagined Russian invasion" in The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming!"

There was no Russian invasion! Just a fear-induced hysteria that resulted in numerous comedic situations.

But in It Happened Every Spring, the baseballs actually were repelled by wood. In The Absent Minded Professor, the flubber really did make the car fly and the basketball players bounce higher.

However, in Monkey Business the characters didn't get "younger" in any sense of the word. They just became reckless and immature.

So . . . where's the fictional science that would make this movie science fiction? Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnaby's poor eyesight is temporarily cured. What else could you possibly attribute that to but the formula? A miracle? A coincidence without any explanation? C'mon, its the scientific properties in the elixir. The formula did indeed work.

We're supposed to sit back and accept the writers story that this is indeed some kind of youth restoring formula. I believe you're overthinking the movie in this case. Monkey Business was a screwball, romantic comedy with a science fiction premise. You appear to reject sf by ignoring Barnaby's eyesight suddenly improving greatly. Then you say the formula makes everyone high as a kite because it has similar properties to cocaine! Now honestly, do you truly believe that is what the writers & the director were really going for?

How do you know that one of the effects from the formula doesn't alter the brain chemistry & emotions of the individual? It revives their earlier earlier personas which leads to the comedic complications.

We seem to be watching two different movies here.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Barnaby's poor eyesight is temporarily cured. What else could you possibly attribute that to but the formula? A miracle? A coincidence without any explanation? C'mon, its the scientific properties in the elixir. The formula did indeed work.

Forgive me, Mike . . . but one temporary effect which MIGHT have been caused by a concoction mixed haphazardly by a chimp? Rolling Eyes

Seriously, that's your only "proof" that a conglomeration of random chemicals mixed by a monkey succeeded in doing what a team of scientists failed to do after years of scientific research?:

And what ELSE did it do? Confused

Well, it made a mature couple act like moronic pre-teens! Rolling Eyes

And when the entire scientific staff drank the water in the climax, they acted like drunken sailors on shore leave, chasing Marilyn Mpnroe around and squirting her fanny with seltzer water! Shocked

"I believe you're overthinking the movie in this case."

Oh,contraire, sir!

I'm the one whose judging the movie on the elements the story presents — rather than the preconceived assumptions of a viewer who WANTS it to be science fiction, based on the alleged intentions of the writers.

Let's be logical. Neither of us can know what the writers really had in mind. But there's no doubt that they were writing a comedy, first and foremost. My assumptions are based on the plot elements in a movie that was (first and foremost) intended to a comedy.

However, there's one thing we should be able to agree on.

A "youth serum" that does nothing but "alter the brain chemistry & emotions of the individual" and "revives their earlier personas" is pretty useless! Sad

In fact, that sounds exactly like what marijuana does . . . or a couple of effective tranquilizers . . . or a few cold beers for some people. Very Happy

So, I'll asked the question again. Where's the fictional science that would make this movie science fiction?

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, the marked & significant improvement in Barnaby's poor eyesight is the proof of the science fiction component with this story. As of 2023 --- over two decades into the 20th century --- we do not have anything close to a potion one would drink and have one's eyesight vastly improved. Not even temporarily. And this film is set in 1952. That my friend is sci-fi. Pure and simple.

The other effects of the formula affecting the humans is in a mental & emotional manner which in turn provided laughs. You obviously don't want to buy this. Nor the intentions of the writers which really are basic in this instance. Sometimes a good cigar is just a good cigar.

Remember, we watched an episode of Science Fiction Theater where a woman feel into a trance. The doctor with her immediately stated that it was the aliens in the story communicating with her. I questioned how the doctor could possibly know this as a fact? Your response was we just have to assume this for the sake of the story and in the interest of moving the plot along. Why can't that same thing be applied to Monkey Business?

Now you are choosing to delve into this plotline with all types of questions and doubts. So the Science Fiction Theater episode is to be fully, and without question, accepted. Monkey Business cannot be accepted under the same terms or conditions?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, well . . . I guess we'll just have to accept our differing interpretation of this COMEDY, which does have a brief science fiction element thrown in, just for the fun of it.

For the record, however, the SFT episode was just 25 minutes of dead serious science fiction — while Monkey Business was 97 minutes of comedy with a brief and debatable dash of science added, just as a McGuffan . . . a fact which you acknowledged. Very Happy

I hope you'll be joining us Friday and Saturday for our submarine double feature! Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddity.

The movie opens with a close-up of the door of the house that Barnaby and his wife live in. The door opens, the Barnaby character comes out, we then hear off-camera the voice of director Howard Hawks say, "Not yet, Gary."

Grant goes back inside, closes the door, then we have the film credits and away we go into the movie like nothing peculiar occurred. Huh!?! What the heck was Hawks trying to do in this weird scene? Was it supposed to be amusing? It wasn't. Worse yet, it broke the fourth wall and made for an awkward moment that takes you out of the film. Aren't directors supposed to be bringing us into their make believe world, not emphasizing it that it's all pretend, even for a supposed laugh?

Cannot believe such a talented director felt this contributed anything significant to his film. Distracting is what it is.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee whiz, Mike, you still seem to be taking this "comedy" too seriously. Very Happy

Pow wrote:
Aren't directors supposed to be bringing us into their make believe world, not emphasizing that it's all pretend, even for a supposed laugh?

I'm puzzled. Confused

In a movie with scenes that show a chimpanzee successfully inventing a youth formula, and a wife who thinks her husband has turned into a baby, you're objecting to Hawks saying "Not yet, Cary" . . . during the opening credits? Confused

Golly, Mike, I don't think Hawks was too worried about spoiling our "suspension of disbelief" before the story even started. In fact, I've been saying all long that this movie didn't make the slightest effort to create the illusion of reality! Laughing

Please understand, I'm certainly not criticizing you for not thinking the gag was particularly funny. Heck, it probably never elicited much more than a smile from the audience.

However, the comical, absent-mind way Cary acted during that opening scene was actually a major plot point about the character — which Hawks cleverly managed to sneak in before the credits even finished. With that in mind, it did contribute something significant to the film. Cool

So, the "fourth wall" wasn't completely broken. It just had a little crack in it! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: