ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matango (1963)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Japanese Sci-Fi Cinema
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey62
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Matango (1963) Reply with quote

MATANGO (Toho,1963), or ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE (U.S.title), is one of Japan's scariest, most unusual science-fiction thrillers. Directed by the great Ishiro Honda, it tells the story of seven shipwrecked people who come across a fungus infested island and ghost ship. Soon, unable to bear the lack of food, they succumb to eating the poisonous spores and slowly begin to deform into deadly, fungal monsters.

Kind of a Japanese take on INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956), MATANGO is different from most of Japan's sci-fi films in that it focuses more on the psychology of the characters than it does on fighting the menace on the island. This isn't saying MATANGO doesn't deliver its share of chills — it does — and the fact that the characters all come off as somewhat unstable only makes their situation even more dismal. The claustrophobic atmosphere also adds to the steadily increasing feeling of impending doom.

The real horror is ultimately found in everyone's inability to resist eating what they know will destroy their humanity.

The special effects are by the legendary Eiji Tsuburaya, best known for the Kaiju films featuring Godzilla and other giant monsters. MATANGO's Mushroom People aren't gigantic, but they're just as invincible. Hajime Koizumi's moody cinematography captures the slimy atmosphere of the rotting ship, as well as the steamy, fungal jungle of the island.

Last edited by Casey62 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen this movie since the 1960s, but I have read the story it is based on. Read the 1907 story, "The Voice in the Night" by William Hope Hodgson here: http://gaslight.mtroyal.ca/voicenig.htm

David.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you want a scary audiobook, William Hope Hodgson's tale is one of the stories in a Librivox collection here, "Short Ghost and Horror Collection 005."
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't you just love to see a poster with a monster carrying a girl, but instead of her being gorgeous and terrified, she's pug ugly, slightly overweight, and looking delighted to be in the arms of the monster, resting her head on his chest while she smile's blissfully.

Just a thought.
Very Happy
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the movie available for download anywhere?

It sounds very much like Clifford Simak's short story "Drop Dead". You can download the pdf file at

http://www.librelib.com/download/21796

and you can download or listen online to the X Minus One radio play at

http://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/sci-fi/x-minus-one/drop-dead-1957-08-22
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Bobo, I just LOVE being smarter than the average bear!

BOBO?

Bobo was a gorilla at the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle, Washington. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobo_(gorilla)

I think you meant Boo Boo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boo-Boo_Bear
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie, I made a boo boo. Embarassed

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly on topic, but more than once I've seen the title of this film misspelled as "Mantango."

"Man Tango" sounds like Jack Lemmon dancing with Joe E. Brown in Some Like It Hot.
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
Not exactly on topic, but more than once I've seen the title of this film misspelled as "Mantango."

"Man Tango" sounds like Jack Lemmon dancing with Joe E. Brown in Some Like It Hot.

Well, nobody's perfect.

David.
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Wouldn't you just love to see a poster with a monster carrying a girl, but instead of her being gorgeous and terrified, she's pug ugly, slightly overweight, and looking delighted to be in the arms of the monster, resting her head on his chest while she smile's blissfully.

Just a thought.
Very Happy

Right. I'm sure that image would sell a lot of tickets. Laughing

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This picture quality of this trailer is pretty good, but since it's the Japanese version we don't get a dramatic announcer saying things like, "See a horrible monster molest beautiful women . . . and then eat them!"

Instead we have brief clips of dramatic moments while the characters speak Japanese, and subtitles appear at the bottom of the screen. However, Japanese writing does flash on the screen periodically, probably saying stuff like "Horror beyond belief!" — and — "A nightmare that never ends!"

Actually, the subtitles do translate the on-screen text blurbs, but they only say things like "Fear!" and "Mystery!" Frankly I like my suggestions better. But the last one is funny. It says, "Please look forward to Matango."

We only get a few glimpses of the mushroom people, and their heads appear to be somewhat larger than the one shown in the poster. I modified the poster to correct that error, along with the addition of a frightening face. Shocked

And I couldn't resist making a few changes to the young lady, too. She's bit fuller in front and bit less covered in the lower regions. Wink

_ Matango: Attack of the Mushroom People (1963)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Japanese Sci-Fi Cinema All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: