ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 6th Day (2000)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: The 6th Day (2000) Reply with quote

If you really believe that then you should clone yourself while you're still alive.

Vilified when it was released, one of the small handful of films that came at the end of Arnold Schwarzenegger's film career before he went into politics, The 6th Day, it was argued, was a good cause for Arnold to retire from film. Yet viewing it now on its own chaotic sci-fi terms, it's a surprisingly brisk and enjoyable picture.

Directed by Roger Spottiswoode, it's a futuristic collage of outrageous set-pieces and thought provoking thematics. Plot has Arnie as an ex-fighter pilot who discovers he has been illegally cloned, and thus he embarks on a mission of carnage and high paced machismo in a bid to get his identity back whilst exposing the evil corporation at the core of such nastiness. So, two Arnie's for the price of one then!

It's not a plot that would hold up under close scrutiny, but then is that what we go into a Arnold Schwarzenegger action movie for? Quite. With some nifty surprises, kinetic action and an ending of some considerable chilling substance, The 6th Day is classic popcorn munching fodder. No it's not in the top tier of Arnie movies, and no it's hardly shaking the foundations of sci-fi cinema, but sometimes comfort food sci-fi has its own rewards for an undemanding occasion. 6.5/10

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best review yet!

The closest I can come to offering an opposing opinion is to say I have no complaints about the movie at all, and I think the science in this science fiction story is miles above most films held in higher regard.

I love the way they arranged for a clone to be something that could be started and completed in a matter of hours. It made perfect sense the way it was described.

And I love the way the bad guys are completely comfortable with their own existence being carried on as successive copies of themselves. But Arnold brings up the "Do I have a soul?" at the end, without going too far with it.

Filmmakers who gave us science fiction that respects the intelligence of the audience. God bless 'em! (If you'll pardon the expression. Very Happy)

The story scores high marks for what Larry Niven calls "internal consistency". It writes the rules for it's own fictional universe and sticks to 'em.

Bravo to Arnold and the producers of this film!

Bravo to The Spike and the message board lucky enough to have his contributions!

Any chance you could clone yourself and post twice as many reviews? Look into that and get back to me, okay?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the trailer (it's short) —

____________________ The 6th Day - Trailer

— and then write a reply (it's easy). Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of Arnold's better ones — and that's really saying something.

The concept of cloning is infused with fresh blood (so to speak) in this remarkable story that presents a clever way for clones to be made in a matter of hours and then equipped with all the memories of the original.

Presto! A made-to-order replacement.

The characters are convinced they've achieved immortality (or at least longevity), and the concept is used to good effect, both dramatically and comically.

Tony Goldwyn, the slick villain from "Ghost", is just as slick in this one. Ironically his ultimate demise in both films involves broken glass. What are the odds, eh?

This really is a thinking man's science fiction story, with the hard science of cloning raising some very interesting questions. This one is highly recommended.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arnold Schwarzenegger gets cloned in this one. Could we handle two Arnolds in one film? As it turns out, two Arnolds did not help the box office numbers for this one — this continued the steady decline in grosses for his films after Batman & Robin (1997).

This is somewhat of a shame, because this film does have merit. It does fall back on standard action cliches in a couple of spots, but most of it revolves around the ethical themes of cloning and passages of suspense.

_______

It's sometime in the near future — cloning pets is now standard practice, reflecting real life issues when the possibility of such procedures became possible in our real world, raising questions about whether grieving pet owners should indulge in such service.

Cloning humans is still prohibited, but that's the main plot thrust of the story — that humans do get cloned.

Schwarzenegger plays a pilot who accidentally gets cloned due to a cover up after a prominent executive (Tony Goldwyn) has been killed. Schwarzenegger was believed to have also been killed; that's why he was cloned. But, that was a mix-up, so now there are two of him, the clone having been placed with the pilot's family and taking over his life.

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus

Last edited by Bogmeister on Sun May 19, 2019 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this movie. One of my favorite things was the henchman who was having phantom pains related to how his previous clone was killed.

Arnold, when shown the flame gun pistol, used it to light his cigar. proclaiming that he really liked this gun. He was given one after the move.

The flame guns were suppose to be chemically powered LASERS. They were just like the "Logan's Run" flame guns, powered by acetylene gas provided by mixing water with a piece of carbide in the handle of the pistol.

The prop company used a modified copy of the flame rifle as the sonic stun rifle in "Firefly".

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see this movie at a dollar theater because I neglected to see it during its first run, but I was dazzled by it, and I bought the DVD when it came out.

I love the way they presented the hi-tech cloning processes as something which could be done in a few hours, and the recorded data from the brain of the cloned person was instantly uploaded to the new clone.

Brilliant! This is science fiction at it's best. Very Happy

Using these brilliant concepts to tell a story about a good man who discovers that his unwitting clone has replaced him, and then he teams up with the clone to defeat the bad guys is definitely my kind of movie!

And having a team of henchmen who are killed off and brought back several times is more fun than a barrel of cloned monkeys! Laughing

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ According to Arnold Schwarzenegger in the DVD featurette "The Future is Coming", this movie was set in 2015.

Note from me: Another example of a sci-fi movie that sets its "future" too close to the present.

~ The incendiary powder Adam (Arnold Schwarzenegger) makes is never named specifically, but based on its properties and ingredients, it appears to be thermite.

Note from me: "Well, kids, today we're gong to use common household chemicals to make something that will take care of that stray dog that killed your pet cat." Very Happy

~ Arnold Schwarzenegger announced that he would not pose with a gun to market this film, because it was irresponsible. He said, "If people say movies lead to violence, we should make a concession."

Note from me: Arnold's heart is in the right place — and he keeps his weapon out of sight! (Hmmm . . . that sounds slightly lewd.)

~ The part of the holographic girl was overdubbed by the receptionist of Vine St. Studios, at which post-production was taking place. Victoria DeFrancesco Soto, an American SAG/AFTRA actress and voice-over artist, states she was asked to do this when the original actor could not be found in time.

Note from me: I loved the dialog by the Holographic Honey Bun! I'd love to have one of those in my home. Wink

~ Set in 2015, but released in 2000, the only accurate future technologies predicted (excluding cloning) were flatscreen televisions, interactive computerized refrigerators and self-driving vehicles (though as of 2018, they're still in the prototype phase).

Note from me: I hope they'll develop the Holo-Babe before I get so old it will just give me a heart attack . . .

~ During the climax of the film, a helicopter is seen to tilt forward while in flight in order to use its rotor blades as weapons. The same thing happened in director Roger Spottiswoode's previous movie Tomorrow Never Dies (1997).

Note from me: I'm pretty sure both movies present something which isn't really possible. A helicopter which tilts forward would rush in that direction, not just hover or move slowly. Rolling Eyes

~ Gene Hackman turned down the role of Dr. Griffin Weir because considered the script as "lousy". Hackman co-starred in Under Fire (1983), directed by Roger Spottiswoode.

Note from me: Gene must be one of those folks who has trouble visualizing a movie just from reading the script. Sadly, I'm not good at that either. A script is like the blueprint for house. It doesn't really show you what house will look like. Sad

Krel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
~ Arnold Schwarzenegger announced that he would not pose with a gun to market this film, because it was irresponsible. He said, "If people say movies lead to violence, we should make a concession."

When you feed ignorance, the only thing you do is make it stronger and breed more ignorance.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good did this movie do when it predicted the future?

~ Do professional football players now received electronic input (visual and audio) the way they do in this movie?

~ The mirror in Arnold's bathroom in an early scene also served as a video display for internet information. Is that kind of technology currently available?

~ The car Arnold rides to work in is capable of self-driving. Are self-driving cars not a reality?

~ Robotic and virtual companions for children are beginning to replace actual kids as their friends. Is that happening now?

~ Animals such as dogs and cats are being replaced by genetically improved versions with fewer defects. Will that happen soon?

~ Sexual gratification for men is being supplied by virtual reality females which are tailored to each male's person preferences. Will that happen in the future?

~ Will technology eventually be capable of recording a person's total characteristics and memories — and then upload it to a cloned version of that same person, thus creating a perfect duplicate of the original?

If all this sounds totally impossible, please remember that I was born in 1948 — when crude B&W televisions were a miraculous new invention, and the first orbiting satellite was nine years in the future!

Back then, computers were the size of large rooms, and spacecraft were the captured remnants of NAZI weapons created to destroy London.

Cars in those days were simple machines which a skilled Delta Air Line mechanic like my father — who served in the US Navy during WWII as a mechanic on an aircraft carrier — could repair in our backyard under a beloved old Willow tree while his scrawny little son sat on the fender and watched in awe as his brilliant daddy worked miracles on our broken family automobile! Very Happy

______

With that in mind, we shouldn't be surprised if many of the things we see in this movie (and others) end up being science fact instead of science fiction. Cool
Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
~ Do professional football players now receive electronic input (visual and audio) the way they do in this movie?

The NFL has been using radio communication, even before the movie. They have also been able to do video for years using a device like Google Glass. Remember that debacle?

Bud Brewster wrote:
~ The mirror in Arnold's bathroom in an early scene also served as a video display for internet information. Is that kind of technology currently available?

They have been selling those mirrors for years. The ones I find creepy are the one equipped with cameras.

Bud Brewster wrote:
~ The car Arnold rides to work in is capable of self-driving. Are self-driving cars not a reality?

Yes and No. They have some, but they are unreliable. Examples, one hit a parked bus, one didn't see a woman step out and hit her, one drove under a semi trailer because the camera was focused on the ground space and didn't see the trailer. It will get there, but not anytime soon unless they force it on the public.

One problem is standardization. The European companies complain that the U.S. has no standard road sign, lane marking, traffic light configuration like in Europe. We have multiple traffic light, road sign, street marking configurations and their cars can't read them. My favorite was the BMW car that refused to move because it couldn't read the road markings

Then there's the problem of software updates and hacking. What will happen when the cars don't get the updates. Or what will happen when the first one is hacked and used to commit a murder?

Bud Brewster wrote:
~ Robotic and virtual companions for children are beginning to replace actual kids as their friends. Is that happening now?

Teddy Ruxpin anyone? Or maybe the recent movie "M3gan". Why do they always make these thing super strong in movies? If I made one it would be weak as a kitten, with a big honkin' kill switchs on the front and back.

Bud Brewster wrote:
~ Animals such as dogs and cats are being replaced by genetically improved versions with fewer defects. Will that happen soon?

I hope so, because it hurts like hell when they pass.

Bud Brewster wrote:
~ Sexual gratification for men is being supplied by virtual reality females which are tailored to each male's person preferences. Will that happen in the future?

Oh that's gonna happen, and it will be the end of the race. Look how in Japan men & women have so little interest in the opposite sex, and the current technology isn't that great. One man married a pillow, and one married an anime program character on his phone. It's killing their birth rates.

Who was it that said that the holodeck would be the last great invention of mankind, and would seal it's doom. Not exact, but close enough for government work.

Bud Brewster wrote:
~ Will technology eventually be capable of recording a person's total characteristics and memories — and then upload it to a cloned version of that same person, thus creating a perfect duplicate of the original?

There are some claims that they can scan your thoughts and memories. If they can scan them, then they can record them.

Implanting them in a clone will be a religious and legal nightmare. But it will generate A LOT of discussion, sermons and legal suits. Didn't we have this discussion a few years back in another thread?

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, your marvelous evaluations of the questions I asked concerning the hi-tech concepts in this move are terrific!

Thank you! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: