ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ninja school girl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Ninja school girl Reply with quote

Don't mess with Japanese school girls!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=125&v=oGCV6v9Pau0
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is using a Foil, which is a stabbing weapon. But. It has a Sabre guard, and the Sabre is a slashing weapon. Practice Foils and practice Sabres have the same type of blade, the difference is in the guard. She also uses it more like a Sabre, and has more of a Sabre fighting stance, then one for a foil.

The movie, "The Great Race" has a great scene that shows the difference in the two techniques, although the Sabers in the movie have foil type blades. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAUUVftG9Ns

David.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, how long have you been sparing?

I no longer follow the sport but I was a PNW Regional champ for 4 years. My fascination started when i was 20-months-old and had my picture in the newspaper:

I was initially trained on an Italian grip foil. I still have it.

For those who are interested look-up "fencing school" in the Yellow pages. They often start with the name "Salle".

There are 3 weapons used in fencing: FOILs; ??P??Es, and SABERs.

In Zorro (ABC 1957 - 1959) and the 4 hour long episode on Walt Disney Presents (ABC 1958 - 1961) they used a saber with a Spanish grip:

Krel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch, I did fencing in the 80s and 90s, until my instructor retired. We fenced with the Italian foil, although he did teach us the French foil, and sabre for the experence. He considered the Italian foil safer and to have more control. I have never liked the modern ergonomic and pistol grip foils. I used to tell my instructor, that people like him are the reason they invented guns. Laughing

There was a case, where the fencing champion of France was killed by accident while practicing. His opponent's blade broke while practicing, and the poor man got skewered. Part of that is the way the French foil is held, in your fist, while the Italian foil is controlled by your thumb and first two fingers.

Once you take fencing, it completely changes movie sword fights for you, because you can see how bad most are. It also gives you an appreciation for the good ones.

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
I no longer follow the sport but I was a PNW Regional champ for 4 years. My fascination started when I was 20-months-old and had my picture in the newspaper.

Butch, I've known you for eight years and I understand your little jokes better than our other members, but you should be careful when you say things like this, because it's not that hard to do a quick check to verify (or refute) some of the things you've said.

For example, what years were you the Pacific Northwest Regional Champion? I found a list of the winners from 1941 to the present, but your name doesn't seem to be on it. Wink

And a quick image search revealed that the newspaper photo you claimed be you at 20 months old is actually Victorio Argento, the two-year old son of a fencing instructor in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, from this 1939 newspaper clipping.

Butch, my old friend, if you're wondering what to reply to this friendly expose' of your little prank, I think the French said it best when they invented the word —

___________________________touché!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What??? You/ve NEVER heard of the Toddler Master Fencing League?

We could paint a fence in less than nap-time!

I like to keep things interesting and to see WHO is paying attention. I don't know who this "attention" is or what [or how much] we're supposed to pay them ??? but every bit of humor in this sad world should be appreciated.

I'm glad that SOMONE can see my weird humor.

(Maybe it's time for another 'baseball game' or 'tourist brochure'?)

Last edited by Robert (Butch) Day on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
I'm glad that SOMONE can see my weird humor.

Is "Somone" another of Bud's aliases?

WayneO
-----------
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOMONE (spelled this way in all caps) was a coined word by Kurt Vonnegut. His definition:

An apparently sleepy looking person who's pulling your leg.

I know that Bud and I are not the only members who like PnPs ??? "Puns 'n' Pranks".

There has been so much gloom lately that we all need an outlet that simply says "lighten-up".

Having Fun

??? The Last Living Krell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: