ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super-Hero TV recommendations sought
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Joyce
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Super-Hero TV recommendations sought Reply with quote

We've (wife and I) been fairly regular watchers of SHIELD and Agent Carter. I've had a dim awareness of other shows (mainly DC) like Arrow and The Flash. What are some that folks think that I should look into?

I was a huge comic book fan way back when. Don't read 'em anymore but the 12 y.o. that follows me around wherever I go (he's been doing that since I was 12) has an incurable weakness for Super Hero films and...tbd...TV too.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, you've come to the right place! You want recommendations? We gotcha recommendations right here, my friend!

Strap in tight, cause we're off and running with —
The Flash!

I've been a fan of this character since I was young enough to have pimples, and this show is a dream come true. It does a bang-up job of presenting the Scarlet Speedster in all his red radiant glory! Very Happy

_______The Flash Season 2 | Mid-Season Trailer | CW

The CW is finishing up season 4 of it's gritty and action-packed superhero series Arrow, which often has cross-over episodes with The Flash. Netflix streams the first three seasons, and I highly recommend you watch this series from the beginning — although that's true for all shows like this.

_________________Arrow Season 2 Episode 01

DC Legends of Tomorrow is the new kid on the block, a spin-off with characters first introduced in both Arrow and The Flash. It's packed with action, FX, and so many superheroes and villains that you couldn't swing a dead cat without hittin' somebody in an outrageous costume.

The next episode is Thursday, April 28th, and it's #14.

__________DCs LEGENDS OF TOMORROW Season 1

Supergirl has been fun, and despite internet rumors (and Randy's prediction) that it would be cancelled, it's coming back in the fall. Admittedly this one hasn't been the best of the bunch, but I'm hoping things will improve.

_______Supergirl (TV Series 2015) Official Trailer

And despite the fact that it's not even on the same network, Supergirl has given us one crossover episode with The Flash. Frankly I'm kinda hopin' it will eventually move from CBS to the CW so we'll see more of those.

__Supergirl 1x18 Promo "Worlds Finest" - The Flash Crossover

Well, there ya go, Steve. Hope you'll find some family fun and excitement from this crop of crime fighting super-people! Things have never been better for fans of this great genre. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Joyce
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sir! I watched the Flash / Zoom episode this week. Brings back fond memories. Have already recorded Arror and Legends. Will take some time to pick up on the story lines and revamped characters but the seem cool.

Just a quick observation (that could be wrong). Marvel seems to be winning the Movie Wars but D.C. seems to be taking the lead in TV productions. Does that seem like a fair assessment?

(BTW, on the Marvel shows, we enjoyed Agent Carter and SHIELD...although we've dropped SHIELD from our ever-growing must-watch list recently)
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow perhaps takes a while to get into its stride, but it is worth persisting with - and the origin of the Flash does begin there. And some Legends of Tomorrow characters start off in Arrow and Flash. I've enjoyed the Netflix Marvel Jessica Jones and Daredevil first seasons, though I've not tried season two of DD yet. And I'm still enjoying the twists and turns of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD.

Supergirl has been fun, with Cat Grant, various Kryptonian villains, and the Manhunter from Mars. Some echoes of the first couple of Superman movies, which is by no means a bad thing, though ol' Supes himself only gets seen in blurry long-shots. I've been saving up season two of Gotham - the first season was pretty enjoyable, with younger versions of some good and bad Bat-folk. Any circus episode had to include the Flying Graysons, right...? Wink
Steve Joyce
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since writing this post, I've gotten into Legends of Tomorrow. Always like the Super Hero Groups better ... The Avengers, Justice League, etc. Wasn't entirely familiar with all of the characters but I was somewhat and that helped (and boy, did some of them change!). Plus it doesn't hurt that I enjoy time travel stories.

Probably will watch Arrow next since that seems to crossover more with LoT. Next The Flash. Likely will pass for the main on Supergirl. But who knows?

Anyway, I still suspect that I'll end up like DCs TV offerings better (tho' they can't match Marvel on the big screen).
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "CW" DC shows are engaging, yes - there are actual crossovers, so that Barry Allen is first seen in Arrow, and does later team up with Oliver, or just drop by for advice. Superhero-wise Arrow does start off slowly, for the first season or so, but is worth staying with.

Apart from one guest appearance from the Flash, Supergirl has been separate, and of course Gotham is set a few years back before Bruce Wayne was old enough to become Batman, while Lucifer is often more of a "police detective solves the crime of the week with the help of a wacky/gifted partner," with some suitably supernatural trimmings. All good fun, anyway.

Marvel rule on the big screen, for sure - their small screen offerings aren't bad, though, with Jennifer Jones, and two seasons of Daredevil, recently joined on Netflix by Luke Cage. It all depends how much tv-watching time you have spare!
Steve Joyce
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely will catch the 4 way crossover. Looking forward to it.

Wish I recorded the Martain Manhunter episode.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I download all the new CW shows from Putlocker.
So far all season one and season two LEGENDS 1-6 are available.
I'm looking forward to getting all the INVASION ( HEROES VS ALIENS ) crossover and editing them in order to a DVD so I can watch them all again as one long movie !

By the way, I think this seasons SUPERGIRL has been great!!!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed. Supergirl is mighty entertaining!

And as Gord said, this week all four superhero series on the CW are featuring crossover episodes that team up the characters to face a common foe — an alien race known as The Dominators!

Judging by the trailer below, this is going to be one hell of a week! Shocked

The Crossover - Team Arrow, Team Flash, Team Legends and Supergirl vs The Dominators -PART2-

_________

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who needs to wait for a JUSTICE LEAGUE movie?

Ya got it RIGHT HERE!
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Flash episode was very good! True Silver Age vibe.

Did you recognize the Hall of Justice from Superfriends?

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's Supergirl season 2 episode 08, Flash season 3 episode 08, Arrow season 5 episode 08, and Legends of Tomorrow season 2 episode (wait for it) 07... looks as if I've got some catching up to do before I can enjoy the whole of "Invasion!"
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could skip the SUPERGIRL because the scenes relative to INVASION are repeated in the FLASH episode. ARROW last night was very, very good. It focused on the Arrow world since it was also their 100th show.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree about skipping Supergirl. It was a VERY enjoyable episode, and it did in fact begin the set up for the invasion story line.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I agree with Bud that it WAS a very good installment in its own right. But if you went first to the FLASH you wouldn't get lost in the story.

Watch them all! You'll be glad you did!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: