ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2013)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2013) Reply with quote

If there's a better science fiction series on television, I'm not aware of it!

I started watching it when it first came out, but for reasons known only to the gods of Asgard, I didn't fall deeply in love with it the way I did recently when Netflix offered seasons 1 and 2 for streaming and I was able to start binge watching it like the good Lord intended.

That's the only explanation for my prior lack of appreciation. I have trouble keeping up with all the complex plot elements when I have to wait a week between episodes.

To me that's a little like engaging in foreplay and then waiting seven days to actually do the Wild Congo Cha-Cha-Cha. It doesn't work too well that way. Wink

So, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. should be watched in large doses, several episodes in a row, without distracting commercials to disrupt the viewer's concentration.

If you're a fan of the other Marvel movies, the show provides frequent references to them and their beloved characters, and they all work well together as windows into the fantastic Marvel universe. The special effects are better than big-budget movies from a mere decade ago, the sets and props are eye-popping, and that huge jet makes my jaw drop every single time it appears on screen —

— especially when the engines rotate 45° and it lands like a Harrier jet! Shocked

_Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Trailer 1 (Official)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:21 am; edited 3 times in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here; all of the commercials bothered me on first viewing. Seeing Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on DVD is working just fine.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try, honest. I watched the first three episodes and part of number four before I put the disc back in the sleeve and returned it to Netflix.

My interest began to wane (that's how I know it was my interest) in a scene where some guy on a horse pulls a double-barrel (breech loader) shotgun on the agents. There follows a quick switcheroo maneuver wherein one agent gains possession of the gun and turns it on the owner. In a reaction shot of the gun's owner lying on the ground, you hear the distinct pump-action shick-shick cocking sound.

Granted the pump-action cocking sound is way overused in movies and TV. But a pump-action on a double-barrel shotgun?

WayneO
-----------
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season Three did get pretty science-fictional at times, with one of our characters marooned on an alien planet, after going through a portal. And not being alone there! At the end of the run there were some references to a certain superhero Civil War . . . though the final "Six Months Later" scene was a bit puzzling, or intriguing . . .

I don't watch tv shows with ads live; a few things I have recorded and then fast-forwarded through the breaks, but some US networks do seem to be pushing things a bit. 43 minutes of content per hour, with the rest ads — and they still put pop-ups across the bottom of the screen sometimes. The phrase "Taking the wee-wee" comes to mind!
Rolling Eyes
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to say, Wayne. You watched three and a half episodes of a great series, didn't get into it, and then you let a misplaced off-screen sound effect taint your feelings about the show.

I wasn't that keen on it either the first time, after watching about half of season one on live TV, but as I mentioned above, the stories are so intelligent and complex that I needed to watch several in rapid succession so the details of the various story arcs didn't get blurred in my memory.

I suggest you wait about a year and then give the series another shot. That's what worked for me. Very Happy

bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is Skye AKA Daisy AKA Quake in her new uniform.

I will post photos of the actress, Chloe Bennett, at the Sci-fi Babes site. Imgur

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actress is lovely, the outfit is cool, the character is wonderful, and the series is awesome!

If they just wouldn't put in those damn pump shotgun sound effects from off camera and ruin the whole show! Shocked

(Just joshin', Wayne.) Laughing

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep listening. When you don't hear them anymore, let me know and I'll skip to that season.

WayneO
-----------
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobbi Morse / Mockingjay, played by the wonderful Adrianne Palicki, in the wonderful uniforms. Imgur

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be mentioned that Bobbi and her ex-husband vanished from the final episodes of the recent SHIELD season - and that the plan is to try to get them their own series, which would be nice!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, slight correction: they didn't vanished, but I won't spoil the episode with details. They did leave the series because they were supposed to begin a spin-off called Marvel's Most Wanted, but as the article below reveals, the plans were dropped.

_"Marvel's Most Wanted" Not Going Forward at ABC

_

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they weren't in the last episodes. A shame that the project hasn't made it, it could have been fun; a shame that Agent Carter won't be back, as it was enjoyable, but maybe it had run its course. At least the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will return - and hopefully Bobbi and Hunter will be back in the team?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
At least the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will return - and hopefully Bobbi and Hunter will be back in the team?

They left in episode 13, well before the end of the season. I hope they do bring them back, and since the only reason they left S.H.I.E.L.D. was because of a political scandal that had the covered up, bringing them back would be a whole lot easier that returning both Phil Coulson AND Grant Ward from the dead!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this today on Cinema Blend. Don't much like the sound of it. Sad

Channing Dungey's reveal to TVLine that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will be getting darker in Season 4 makes a lot of sense considering the progression of Season 3. Gone are the days of happy hijinks and practical jokes between Coulson and his merry band of operatives.

The agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. have had a rough ride in Season 3, and the finale is set to feature a big death that will likely leave some of the good guys in an emotionally bad way over hiatus. S.H.I.E.L.D. either had to go darker in Season 4 or start getting a whole lot lighter sooner rather than later.

But it also says this.

Hopefully, S.H.I.E.L.D. won't be entirely dark in Season 4. I'm holding out hope that Bobbi and Hunter will be brought back to the rest of the team now that Marvel's Most Wanted has been cancelled. They'll be absent from any tragedy that may have built over the final episodes of Season 3, and they could supply some levity to stop the show from crossing from dark into downright depressing.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a happier note, Bud and I completed Season 3 finale today, which means we saw all three seasons of Agents of Shield over a month without commercials.

Best tv series currently on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: