ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GREAT TV SERIES THAT WERE CANCELLED!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject: GREAT TV SERIES THAT WERE CANCELLED! Reply with quote

Here's a list of TV series that I liked . . . and yet were cancelled! Add a few that you liked and yet got the axe!

Star Trek (1966)

The Invaders (1967)

Search (1972)

Space Rangers (1993)

Star Trek: Enterprise (2001)

Fire Fly (2002)

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008)

Almost Human (2013)

Scorpion (2014)

Limitless (2015)

APB (2017)

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I'm an ardent Trek fan, I'll have to disagree over the cancelling of the original series after season #3. Specific factors made Trek's last season a mostly weak one.

Gene Roddenberry had stepped away from his daily hands-on-care for his baby. It showed. Gene Coon, as instrumental as Roddenberry to Trek's success, had left the production. It showed.

NBC slashed the series budget significantly in its third outing, just as it had done in its second season. On a science fiction show relying upon futuristic sets, costuming, and props as well as dazzling visuals, you need the dough to make it go. Trek's moolah was M.I.A.

Sadly, it was time to cut the once promising Star Trek series loose, which NBC wanted to do anyway. It was like seeing a once great athlete past their prime trying to relive their former days of glory, after their amazing abilities had seriously diminished. The first two seasons of ST are their best (although season two could be hit and miss with its episodes). Season three reruns I usually skip.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some sf shows that I really enjoyed watching. Some canceled after only one season. They all had many more stories to tell but were thwarted by ratings & network execs.

The Green Hornet (1966~1967). Producer William Dozier reported that ABC offered the half-hour show a second season. Dozier felt that the series required an hour in order to develop characters & plot. ABC said their 1967 fall schedule was set and that they couldn't give the Hornet a full hour. Dozier declined to bring back his production.

Space: Above and Beyond (1995~1996) Excellent scripting, cast, production values couldn't save this terrific FOX sf show. The Battlestar Galactica reboot reminded me of Space as they shared numerous elements. Both shows were dark & gritty, both had androids that had turned on their creators, both had a war setting.

Farscape (1999~2003) Yes, it had 4 seasons, but the writing and cast were so marvelous that there should have been more seasons. I think FS was one of the finest sf shows ever produced.

Justice League animated series (2001~2004). It was great to see so many of the various DC comic book superheroes pair up together for adventures. Even with a 3-year run we still didn't get to see so many of the DC heroes appear with the JL for a mission. Clearly the show needed more seasons.

Fantastic Four: The World's Greatest Heroes (2006~2007). The animation was marvelous, stories fun and entertaining, and it offered humor.

neXt (2020). The show dealt with something we now see in the news every single day, AI.

Terra Nova (2011). Humans leaving a polluted present travel back to an earlier era in order to start over again and create a better future for themselves and their descendants. And it had dinosaurs! Fun show with a lavish budget and shot in gorgeous locales in Australia. 13 episodes is all we have before the axe came down.

Revolution (2012~2014). The world is powerless, or at least, electrically powerless. How will people cope and survive? This show addressed that issue, and more.

The Gifted (2017~2019). Based upon the Marvel comics dealing with humans who are mutants that have various super powers. The world at large hates and fear 'em. They band together and attempt to hide from their haters.

Reverie (2018). A high-tech corporation has developed a sophisticated virtual reality simulation. But something goes terribly wrong and the people cannot, or will not, leave their dream fantasies. Again, tremendous possibility with the stories it could tell but never got to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: