ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sebastian (1968)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Sebastian (1968) Reply with quote

I saw this one on an Air Force base in Korea in 1969 (the bases often got movies several months later than their studio releases), and in addition to being a semi-spy movie with a pleasant romantic comedy element, it has an early score by Jerry Goldsmith. I recognized the Our Man Flint sound of the music and liked it a lot.

A few years later I acquired the LP soundtrack and made a tape that mixed the soundtracks of Our Man Flint and Sabastian. They go well together. You can hear the title theme in this Youtube video.

Dirk Bogarde is a brilliant code breaker in British intelligence who is the head of an all female team comprised entirely of attractive young girls (over a hundred of them — be still my foolish heart). They possess an uncanny knack for seeing patterns in coded messages.

Susannah York is the smart and sexy girl he hires to join the team. Miss York is, frankly, to die for in this movie, despite the fierce competition from costars like like Janet Munro (The Crawling Eye and [i]The Day the Earth Caught Fire]/i]).

This is a slick thriller which skillfully presents the idea that this team of smart gals can do something the best computers (at that time) could not do. It's fast-paced, up beat, fun to watch, and sexy as hell. Very Happy

The YouTube video below of the full movie had a comment by the person who uploaded it, which said the movie had never been released on VHS or DVD. So I guess we should be grateful to have this version. The picture is 4:3, but otherwise not too bad.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lo and behold, here's the full movie! Cool

____________ Sebastian (Dirk Bogarde)(1968)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: