ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inseminoid (1981)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Inseminoid (1981) Reply with quote

Inseminoid Devoid.

Inseminoid (AKA: Horror Planet) is directed by Norman J. Warren and written by Nick and Gloria Maley. It stars Judy Geeson, Robin Clarke, Jennifer Ashley and Stephanie Beacham. Music is by John Scott and cinematography by John Metcalfe.

A crew of space scientists come under attack after an alien creature impregnates one of the team, causing her maternal instincts to turn her into a homicidal maniac.

The makers denied it is a cheap knock-off of Ridley Scott's Alien, and in their defence, 20th Century Fox supremo's viewed Inseminoid and had absolutely no problem with it. So? Is it a tacky cash in? Well, judge for yourself, but ultimately it's films like this that make you treasure Alien even more, regardless of budget differences.

Inseminoid (great title, at least) is hysterically bad. It doesn't make any sense (seriously, the screenplay must have been written in 5 minutes). Its cheapness is "not" endearing and the acting is appalling. Add in some awful effects work, costuming care of the decade that time forgot, and the over-powering sense of sleaze for gore's sake, and you got one bad movie on your hands.

Is it mindless fun? Well, it is funny!

When actors like Brit babes Geeson and Beacham take it seriously — the former really throwing herself into the crazed mommy role — then it's hard not to laugh, even more so when the alien glove puppets show up.

To be fair to Beacham, she came out and said she did it purely for the money, but the honorable thing to do would have been to wave her fee and distribute it back to the paying punters at the box offices who had to suffer this tripe.

Alien rape, murder, bedlam, and cannibalism — it shouldn't be funny, but it is. 2/10

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Inseminoid (1981) Reply with quote

The Spike wrote:
A crew of space scientists come under attack after an alien creature impregnates one of the team, causing her maternal instincts to turn her into a homicidal maniac.

Don't you just hate it when that happens? If there one thing I can't stand, it's a woman who tries to mother me to death!

Spike, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your fine reviews! If I choose to watch any of the stinkers like this one that you've warned me about, I'll either enjoy them because you told me what to expect, or I'll have no one to blame but myself, because I should have known better.

Keep 'em, comin'. Forewarned is forearmed!

Oh, and don't be discouraged if you don't seem to get many replies. Your posts are being read and enjoyed frequently, I promise.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Not discouraged in the slightest. Reply with quote

I don't need responses, I want to help you build back this great site, if my reviews help in any way then that's enough for me. Very Happy
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah-ha, but replies are a big part of what will build it back, too. You're encouraging discussions and interesting debates. That's what makes a board truly great. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to make informed comment on this movie I would have to watch a feature rated 2 out of 10. I don't see the humor in that. All I can say here is thanks for warning me away.

WayneO
-----------
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_____________________ Inseminoid - Trailer

No other movie covered in my book has received such unanimous disdain as Inseminoid.

John Stanley, Mike Mayo, and VideoHound all give it their lowest possible ratings. Stanley calls it "awful" and "sickening." Mayo calls it "vile" and "repulsive." VideoHound calls it "graphic" and "sensationalistic."

The IMDb rating (in summer 2007 as I write) is 2.5.

Indeed, the filmmakers seem unconcerned about anything other than screaming, crying , fighting, and gore. The action follows a survey crew on a distant planet working in a poorly lit plastic underground complex. The crew is annoying, with no hero or heroine, no sympathetic characters.

Impregnation happens in a montage featuring brief nudity. The impregnated woman alternates between attacking people, sabotaging the underground base, and wailing "Help me!" in her moments of sanity.

The monster appears for about 10 seconds, as does its twin offspring, which appear like phalluses with squinty eyes and spindly legs. Even the gore is no fun. Perhaps the only reason to keep this movie in existence is for comparison with superior Alien ripoffs like Galaxy of Terror

I'm not as harsh with this one as everyone else, it seems. It does begin promisingly with a stalwart British cast (including Stephanie Beacham and a very young Victoria Tennant), and it's not as low budget as suggested above.

But there are many problems to the plot: there's a lack of focus in the 1st third — another crew member, a male, is infected and goes nuts before Judy Geeson's character, and it seems like filler.

It's also repetitive, meaning most of Geeson's scenes. She commits horrific acts of violence but, in many cases, the foolish crew members place themselves in the position of being victims, even while knowing that she's very dangerous. She even possesses heightened strength as part of her affliction.

More than once, the crew act like maybe she's not as bad as it seems and then end up paying for it. Also, Geeson may have gotten poor instructions on her role, resulting in inconsistency — at one point she acts like she's enjoying the killing, yet mostly she's in a trance or loudly deranged. By the end, I was very tired of her screams and yelling.

BoG's Score: 5 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the curious, two views of the creature:

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually saw this in a movie theater. Not the best, but then I've seen worse movies at the show. The most amusing thing to me was the credits. The credits showed scenes with actors in a part that had been cut out of the movie!

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Inseminoid (1981) Reply with quote

The Spike wrote:
When actors like Brit babes Geeson and Beacham take it seriously — the former really throwing herself into the crazed mommy role — then it's hard not to laugh, even more so when the alien glove puppets show up.

I have trouble finding amusement when watching a badly made movie, because it's a little like laughing when some poor person falls down.

A bad movie is a failed project that a large group of people worked hard to create. The failure isn't caused by EVERYBODY who was involved — just the clueless few who made bad decisions.

It saddens me.
Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: