ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I, Robot (2004)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem with product placement in a movie depicting the future would be the same issue the depiction of futuristic technology had to deal with. How many older movies of the future included our latest tech devices when the movie was made, but had since become obsolete in our own time?

The problem of obsolete technology has been resolved by depicting characters using retro technology, such as cassette tapes in Guardians of the Galaxy (and Bud Wink) and the LP turntable in Oblivion, plus the retro products embraced by Will Smith's character in protest of the out-of-control advancement of technology.

So if you see products such as Sanka or Ovaltine, they may still be available, but the label artwork gets reworked from time to time.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I neither notice nor object to "product placements" in movies.

To me, objects from the present are as innocuous as the presence of chairs and tables and kitchen appliances. We're not meant to notice them, nor to think that they play a role in the story.

As I stated earlier, if the production created "new" products to replace the current brand names (just to avoid product placement) they would be a distraction to the viewers.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that movie productions would try to avoid product placement. It probably serves as an additional source of revenue paid by the companies whose products are depicted.

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: