ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pick the good ones and the bad ones in these categories
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Pick the good ones and the bad ones in these categories Reply with quote

For over one hundred years science fiction movies and television shows have presented us with both good and bad stories of every conceivable kind.

Try this just for fun. Copy and paste all-or-part of the form below to a reply window and answer the questions. Here's one of the subjects, and a sample response.

* A good movie-or-series about ALIEN VISITORS: The Day the Earth Stood Still

What made it so good: Klaatu had a clear mission, a great flying saucer, and a cool kick-ass robot!

* A disappointing movie-or-series about ALIEN VISITORS: The Cosmic Man

What made it disappointing: John Carradine doesn't seem to have a mission, he's barely got a spaceship, and if he brought along a robot the poor thing never figured out how to get out that little sphere!

Here are some important things to remember about this little game.

You don't have to make a post for every category. Just pick the ones that interest you. Cool

You can post multiple replies. Answer a few today and few more next week. Come back to this thread and add to it whenever the mood strikes you.

Please select both a "good" movie-or-series and a "disappointing" one in each category you choose. In other words, the point is to present both the Yin and the Yang on each subject.

Your answers should be relatively short. A few sentences about why a movie or TV series is good or bad will suffice. This is a case "less is more". If you want to write a long comment about a movie or show, please post it on the thread for that film. And if there isn't a thread already, START ONE! Shocked

Please don't reply directly to another member's comments (except to precede one of yours with nice things like, "Ow, good one. You gave me an idea.") I know it's going to be hard to resist, folks, but we're not debating opinions here. That's what the regular threads are for.

But you can offer your own opposing opinion in a new post that makes no direct reference to one by another member, countering their views with your own brief-but-persuasive statements.

That's the fun part of this little exercise! Very Happy

You can address any category more than once, using different movies as examples of the "good ones" and the "disappointing ones", just to keep the thread going!

Feel free to name movies or TV shows that have already been used. You're smart enough to think of different reasons why you did-or-didn't like the movie or the series which somebody else already named.

I've posted the first reply in a long message below — just to show how easy it is and to get things going. Now it's your turn. You might try scanning down All Sci-Fi's unique indexes to get ideas for your posts. That's what I did! Very Happy

I can state with pride that we're the only message board that has these — other than the two I created myself for the Science Fiction Message Board. So, please put them to good use.

@ Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949

Chronological Index of movies by release dates

Alphabetical Index of Sci-Fi Movies from 1900 to 1949

@ Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969

Enhanced Alphabetical Index of Sci-Fi Movies - 1950 to 1969

@ Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000

Alphabetical Index of Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000

@ Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010

Alphabetical Index of Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010

@ Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to Tomorrow!

Alphabetical Index of Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to Tomorrow

Come on folks, help me keep All Sci-Fi active and entertaining! Very Happy

Copy and paste any of the questions below you want to answer, and fill in your responses the way I've done for the examples in the next post on this thread.

* A good movie-or-series about SPACE TRAVEL:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series about SPACE TRAVEL:

What made it disappointing:

* A good movie-or-series about TIME TRAVEL:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series about TIME TRAVEL:

* A good movie-or-series about a MONSTER IN A CITY:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series about a MONSTER IN A CITY:

* A good movie-or-series about GIANT INSECTS or SPIDERS:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series about a GIANT INSECTS or SPIDERS:

* A good movie-or-series with SCI-FI BABES FROM SPACE or THE FUTURE:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series with SCI-FI BABES FROM SPACE or THE FUTURE:

* A good movie-or-series about discovering a LOST WORLD:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series about discovering a LOST WORLD:

* A good movie-or-series about ALIEN VISITORS:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series about ALIEN VISITORS:

* A good movie-or-series about ALIEN INVADERS:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series about ALIEN INVADERS:

* A good movie-or-series about a POST APOCALYPTIC WORLD:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series about a POST APOCALYPTIC WORLD:

* A good movie-or-series about SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS GONE WRONG:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series about SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS GONE WRONG:

* A good movie-or-series about GIANT PEOPLE:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series about GIANT PEOPLE:

* A good movie-or-series about a HUMANOID CREATURE or ALIEN:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series about a HUMANOID CREATURE or ALIEN:

* A good movie-or-series with a NON-HUMANOID CREATURE or ALIEN:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series about a NON-HUMANOID CREATURE or ALIEN:

* A good movie-or-series with AN AQUATIC MONSTER:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series with AN AQUATIC MONSTER:

* A good movie-or-series that includes one-or-more ROBOTS or ANDROIDS:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series that includes one-or-more ROBOTS :

* A good movie-or-series that had DINOSAURS:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series that had DINOSAURS:

* A good movie-or-series that includes at least one FLYING SAUCER:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series that includes at least one FLYING SAUCER:

* A good movie-or-series with HUMAN-TO-MONSTER TRANSFORMATIONS:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series with HUMAN-TO-MONSTER TRANSFORMATIONS:

* A good movie-or-series with a FEMALE MONSTER-OR-ALIEN:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series with a FEMALE MONSTER-OR-ALIEN:

* A good movie-or-series set in the JULES VERNE ERA:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series JULES VERNE ERA:

* A good movie-or-series WITH A VERY ORIGINAL PREMISE:

What made it so good:

* A disappointing movie-or-series WITH A VERY ORIGINAL PREMISE:

* A good movie-or-series about A TRIP TO MARS:

What made it so good

* A disappointing movie-or-series about A TRIP TO MARS:

* A good movie-or-series that blends SCI-FI and COMEDY:

What made it so good

* A disappointing movie-or-series that blends SCI-FI and COMEDY::

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:11 pm; edited 32 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my attempt to address all the questions. I tried to not to grab all the best examples in each category.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys will add. Don't let me down, folks!
Very Happy

* A good movie-or-series about SPACE TRAVEL: Phantom Planet

What made it so good: : It was a novel story about an inhabited asteroid and the tiny people who lived there.

* A disappointing movie-or-series about SPACE TRAVEL: The Wizard of Mars

What made it disappointing: They just didn't have the money and talent to do the job right. Watching it is painful. Sad

* A good movie-or-series about TIME TRAVEL: Beyond the Time Barrier

What made it so good: It suggested that the aircraft Robert Clarke piloted could be used to travel back and forth in time! A flying time machine! Very Happy

* A disappointing movie-or-series about TIME TRAVEL: Dimension 5 (1967)

What made it disappointing: It tried to present time-traveling secret agents on a shoestring budget. Bad writing and bad acting.

* A good movie-or-series about a MONSTER IN A CITY: It Came from Beneath the Sea

What made it so good: Harryhausen made the tentacles act like individual monsters, especially when the tip of one smashes into a window and seems to "look around" for a moment. Very Happy

* A disappointing movie-or-series about a MONSTER IN A CITY: The Giant Behemoth

What made it disappointing: It pales in comparison to Ray's three "monster" movies. The dinosaur moves too slowly, the mattes aren't done well, and too many of the monster's "head shots" are repeated over and over.

* A good movie-or-series about GIANT INSECTS or SPIDERS: Beginning of the End

What made it so good: The low budget certainly hurt it, but there are some nice moments in this Bert I. Gordon film. Read my post and look at the pictures I included.

* A disappointing movie-or-series about a GIANT INSECTS or SPIDERS: The Deadly Mantis

What made it disappointing: Those poorly done flying scenes with the annoying insect drone hurt the movie badly, and despite the elaborate special effects the mantis never manages to look scary, creepy, or ferocious.

* A good movie-or-series with SCI-FI BABES FROM SPACE or THE FUTURE: Flight to Mars

What made it so good: Despite the fact that we only get TWO "babes", they're both hotter than Mercury in July!

* A disappointing movie-or-series with SCI-FI BABES FROM SPACE or THE FUTURE: Fire Maidens from Outer Space

What made it disappointing: The gals aren't too bad, actually, but they certainly aren't good enough to liven up this dull movie.

* A good movie-or-series about discovering a LOST WORLD: Valley of the Dragons

What made it so good: Call me crazy, but this movie is fun! It has an enjoyable script, a competent cast, and some remarkably creative uses of footage from One Million B.C.. Read my post if you're not familiar with this one.

* A disappointing movie-or-series-or-series about discovering a LOST WORLD: Two Lost Worlds

What made it disappointing: Here's the plot synopsis: PIRATES! PIRATES! PIRATES! PIRATES! dinosaurs . . .

* A good movie-or-series about ALIEN VISITORS: The Space Children

What made it so good: Well, the year was 1958, I was ten years old, it was a warm summer evening at a great drive-in, and the movie won my heart completely. Read my post and you'll understand why I love it.

* A disappointing movie-or-series about ALIEN VISITORS: Stranger From Venus

What made it disappointing: How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways! Better yet, just read my post. A movie carefully designed to disappoint the audience. Sad

* A good movie-or-series about ALIEN INVADERS: Village of the Damned

What made it so good: No space ships, no death rays, no hideous alien creatures. Just genetically engineer super-children who invader Earth by . . . coming out of women's wombs[/url]! An amazing concept.

* A disappointing movie-or-series about ALIEN INVADERS: Teenagers from Outer Space

What made it disappointing: All this movie really needed was more money, more talent, more imagination, more intelligence, and fewer silly silhouettes of lobsters that were supposed to be monsters. Gosh, they missed it by THAT much, as Max would say. Rolling Eyes

* A good movie-or-series about a POST APOCALYPTIC WORLD: Five

What made it so good: A fine example of skilled film-making with just the bare essentials to work it. I'm impressed every time I see it.

* A disappointing movie-or-series about a POST APOCALYPTIC WORLD: The Day the World Ended

What made it disappointing: As I said in my post, it's mostly just yak yak yak and oh-my-god the radiation is out there so we're all going to die! This might be called a "Why Bother?" movie. Why did Corman bother to make it? (To sucker us out of the price of ticket). And why did we bother to see it? (Because we're suckers.)

* A good movie-or-series about SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS GONE WRONG: The Werewolf

What made it so good: Lot's of reason. It was creepy, despite being low-budget. It was well acted by the whole cast. It was tragic, because two scientist take a unsuspecting victim and turn him into a monster in name of "science" and then try to cover it up by murdering him in his jail cell.

And the scene where they find out he's in full "monster mode" when they turn him over his bunk is absolutely priceless! Very Happy

* A disappointing movie-or-series about SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS GONE WRONG: Return of the Fly

What made it disappointing: The Fly did everything just right. The sequel did everything just wrong. It's as simple as that.

* A good movie-or-series about GIANT PEOPLE: Village of the Giants

What made it so good: In a word, it's sexy. Giant teens dance in slow motion, while Johnny Crawford clings to Joy Harmon's halter straps and enjoys the view from atop the Mammary Mountains. What a movie!

* A disappointing movie-or-series about GIANT PEOPLE: The Amazing Colossal Man

What made it disappointing: I just can't get into this one or it's sequel. It's just sort of lukewarm in every way: the plot, the acting, the special effects, etc, et.c

* A good movie-or-series about A HUMANOID CREATURE: Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas

What made it so good: It teases us with glimpses of the yeti, and it suggests that there's a hidden community of the strange creatures somewhere in the Himalayas. Nice and creepy.

* A disappointing movie-or-series about A HUMANOID CREATURE: Monster of Piedras Blancas

What made it disappointing: I'm not actually a big fan of The Creature from the Black Lagoon, so this pale imitation has even less appeal. Watch the trailer and the movie on Youtube (at the links in my post).

* A good movie-or-series with a NON-HUMANOID CREATURE or ALIEN: Angry Red Planet

What made it so good: If the bat-rat-spider-crab didn't impress you, how 'bout the blobbish lake-dwelling Martian ameba?

* A disappointing movie-or-series with a NON-HUMANOID CREATURE or ALIEN: The Brain Eaters

What made it disappointing: Bad movie. Bad photography, bad acting, bad editing, bad use of classical music that makes the movie damn-near unwatchable.

* A good movie-or-series with AN AQUATIC MONSTER: Mysterious Island

What made it so good: Harryhausen's tentacled titan from the sea floor was on screen all too briefly for lovers of Ray's work, but it was magnificent while it lasted!

* A disappointing movie-or-series with AN AQUATIC MONSTER: Monster from the Ocean Floor Like . . . duh! Rolling Eyes

What made it disappointing: Well, it's hard to put my finger on why I don't like this one. I guess that's because I don't want to touch the nasty thing — I don't know where it's been! Shocked

* A good movie-or-series that includes one-or-more ROBOTS: First Spaceship on Venus

What made it so good: That little rolling robot, Omega, might not have had any arms, but he was certainly the most mobile little mechanism we saw in the 1950s.

* A disappointing movie-or-series that includes one-or-more ROBOTS: GOG

What made it disappointing: I'm not a fan of the movie and I'm less of a fan of those two robots. In their case they have too many arms, and they flap around like a spastic traffic cop! Sad

* A good movie-or-series that had DINOSAURS: The Land Unknown

What made it so good: I admire the film for using three different techniques for creating the prehistoric beasts: live lizards, motorized puppets, and a man in suit. Great movie!

* A disappointing movie-or-series that had DINOSAURS: Dinosaurus!

What made it disappointing: Nothing is better than good stop-motion! And nothing is worse than BAD stop motion. This one just makes the movies with good animation look that much better. Too bad, 'cause this one could have been very enjoyable.

* A good movie-or-series that includes at least one FLYING SAUCER: This Island Earth

What made it so good: It's the only movie that showed us a flying saucer taking off from Earth, flying through space, battling enemy ships, and landing on it's home planet. And it even pulls in a plane with a tractor beam along the way!

* A disappointing movie-or-series that includes at least one FLYING SAUCER: Invasion of the Saucer Men

What made it disappointing: The saucer itself is pretty well designed, by the movie is certainly no classic.

* A good movie-or-series with HUMAN-TO-MONSTER TRANSFORMATIONS: It Came from Outer Space

What made it so good: We see Richard Carlson turn into an alien in one scene, and Russell Johnson go from a wispy cloud of something-or-other into a human hand which lands on Barbara Rush's shoulder. Good stuff. Very Happy

* A disappointing movie-or-series with HUMAN-TO-MONSTER TRANSFORMATIONS: The Hideous Sun Demon

What made it disappointing: I don't think they actually showed us a transformation scene! What a ripe-off! Sad

* A good movie-or-series with a FEMALE MONSTER-OR-ALIEN: Queen of Blood

What made it so good: Those close ups of the alien woman's glowing eyes are truly disturbing! Shocked

* A disappointing movie-or-series with a FEMALE MONSTER-OR-ALIEN: The Astounding She-Monster

What made it disappointing: This really bad movie was really badly photographed, and all the prints are . . . really bad.

* A good movie-or-series set in the JULES VERNE ERA: Island at the Top of the World

What made it so good: A band of adventurers explore the Arctic in a dirigible! Good movie.

* A disappointing movie-or-series set in the JULES VERNE ERA: Master of the World

What made it disappointing: A poor attempt to imitate 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with a big clunky mega-helicopter that looks about as airworthy as The Yellow Submarine in the Beatles song.

* A good movie-or-series WITH A VERY ORIGINAL PREMISE: The Monolith Monsters

What made it so good: Rocks from space . . . that grow like the crystals we learned about in science class . . . and threaten to crush the world. What's NOT to like about this one? Very Happy

* A disappointing movie-or-series WITH A VERY ORIGINAL PREMISE: The Cosmic Monsters (1957)

What made it disappointing: Here's how it's described: An experiment goes awry and accidentally opens a hole in the ionosphere. Giant insects from another dimension come pouring through, and things look black for planet Earth. But an alie arrives in a flying saucer and defeats the insects.

Sadly, the movie-or-series just doesn't deliver on it's promises.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:14 pm; edited 14 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good movie-or-series set in the JULES VERNE ERA: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954, Disney)

What made it so good: This was Disney's first live action feature filmed in the U.S., and he pulled out all the stops. He selected top actors and devoted a lot of effort to perfecting the design of the Nautilus and building the interior sets. And the Nautilus was every young boy's dream machine, enough to retain #1 status for the rest of their lives.

A disappointing movie-or-series set in the JULES VERNE ERA: Master of the World

What made it disappointing: A beautifully crafted and photographed airship miniature, looking like it came straight from the mind of Jules Verne, is wasted among every other element of the movie. A cheap budget resulted in inappropriate, mismatched, anachronistic stock footage from other movies rear-projected behind the miniature. The acting and the script didn't help the problem either.

WayneO
-----------

Last edited by orzel-w on Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're talking, Wayne!!! Very Happy

Here's one I did to keep the ball rolling.

A good movie-or-series about SPACE TRAVEL: Project Moonbase (1953)

What made it so good: A routine lunar flyby turns into the first lunar colony and the first wedding on the Moon! Romance and space exploration, all in one neat package! Cool

A disappointing movie-or-series about SPACE TRAVEL: Spaceways (1953)

What made it disappointing: After a long melodrama about a cheating wife and an unhappy husband, we get a brief space missions with virtually no special effects. The poster for this one is a big fat lie. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:54 pm; edited 5 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, what the hell, I can't resist doing another one! They're quick, easy, and fun for the whole family. And there's a zillion possible combinations, so . . .

A good movie-or-series about ALIEN INVADERS: The Man From Planet X (1951)

What made it so good: They could have called this one Invasion On A Tight Budget. One space ship with one alien, and the poor guy had to out-source his manual labor to mind-controlled Earthlings. The only reason they were invading Earth was because they were in the neighborhood and is was so convenient (the planet was racing passed Earth at the time.)

But it's still a bundle-a-fun to watch.

A disappointing movie-or-series about ALIEN VISITORS: Invisible Invaders (1959)

What made it disappointing: A better title for this one would be Imaginary Invaders! NO aliens and NO space ships — just well dressed mind-controlled men in business suits and heavy eye makeup. The poster shows tidal waves smashing through buildings, with flying saucers hovering above. We're still waiting for the director's cut that has all that stuff.
Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good movie about SPACE TRAVEL: Destination Moon (1950)
What made it so good: It was one of the first 1950's movies to show space travel.

A disappointing movie about SPACE TRAVEL: Satellite in the Sky (1956)
What made it disappointing: Not much of a movie. Disappointing story.

A good movie about TIME TRAVEL: The Time Machine (2002)
What made it so good: Good movie from beginning to end; a modern '50 movie.

A disappointing movie about TIME TRAVEL: The Time Travelers (TV, 1975)
What made it disappointing: Cheap looking movie with poor story. It was hard to sit through.

A good movie about GIANT INSECTS or SPIDERS: Tarantula (1955)
What made it so good: Classic movie

A disappointing movie about a GIANT INSECTS or SPIDERS: Kingdom of the Spiders (1977)
What made it disappointing: No good; the movie with the VW Beetle as a spider is worst, though

A good movie with SCI-FI BABES FROM SPACE or THE FUTURE: World Without End (1956)
What made it so good: The women Smile

A disappointing movie with SCI-FI BABES FROM SPACE or THE FUTURE: Abbott & Costello goes to Mars (1953)
What made it disappointing: Can watch it only for the costumes & props. And I like A&C.

A good movie about discovering a LOST WORLD: The Land Unknown (1957)
What made it so good: eye candy Shawnee Smith

A disappointing movie about discovering a LOST WORLD: Lost Continent (1951, 1968)
What made it disappointing: Lousy; the newer version has some sexy scenes, but not enough.

A disappointing movie about a POST APOCALYPTIC WORLD: Zardoz (1974)
What made it disappointing: Unwatchable

A good movie about SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS GONE WRONG: Magnetic Monster (1953)

What made it so good: Well-made and well-acted. Quote "In scientific research, there is no place for Lone Wolves."

A disappointing movie about SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS GONE WRONG: Terror from the Year 5000 (1958)
What made it disappointing: that it wasn't very good and now it is no longer available

A good movie about GIANT PEOPLE: The Amazing Colossal Man (1957)
What made it so good: Best movie made by Mr. B.I.G.

A disappointing movie about GIANT PEOPLE: Village of the Giants (1965)
What made it disappointing: Not my kind of movie; Bud likes it, though.

A good movie about a HUMANOID CREATURE or ALIEN: Star Trek the Motion Picture (1979) (Ilia)
What made it so good: After the waiting for a reunion of the crew I thought everything was right about the movie. And I still feel that way.

A disappointing movie about a HUMANOID CREATURE or ALIEN: Star Trek V:Final Frontier
What made it disappointing: Kirk vs. "God"

A good movie with AN AQUATIC MONSTER: It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955)
What made it so good: Very watchable; good cast

A disappointing movie with AN AQUATIC MONSTER: Atomic Submarine (1959)
What made it disappointing: Not enough Jan Sterling; I literally fell asleep during this movie

A good movie that includes one-or-more ROBOTS: Forbidden Planet (1956)
What made it so good: Robby

A disappointing movie that includes one-or-more ROBOTS : Sex Kittens go to College (1960)

What made it disappointing: Unwatchable; Bud & I could not finish it.

A good movie that had DINOSAURS: Jurasstic Park (1993)
What made it so good: First of its kind

A disappointing movie that had DINOSAURS: King Dinosaur (1955)
What made it disappointing: It is no good

A good movie that includes at least one FLYING SAUCER: Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956)
What made it so good: Best of its kind

A disappointing movie that includes at least one FLYING SAUCER: The 27th Day
What made it disappointing: Not enough flying saucers

A good movie with HUMAN-TO-MONSTER TRANSFORMATIONS: The Nutty Professor (1963)
What made it so good: One of my favorite comedies

A disappointing movie with HUMAN-TO-MONSTER TRANSFORMATIONS: The Alligator People (1959)
What made it disappointing: Overrated

A good movie set in the JULES VERNE ERA: Mysterious Island (1961)

What made it so good: Good from beginning to end

A disappointing movie JULES VERNE ERA: From the Earth to the Moon (1958)
What made it disappointing: Colorful but awful

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a twist...

A good movie-or-series SPACE TRAVEL: Conquest of Space (1955)

What made it so good: Great miniatures and miniature photography. "Down to Earth" science.

A disappointing movie-or-series about SPACE TRAVEL: Conquest of Space (1955)

What made it disappointing: Social/interpersonal cliches and ethnic hyperstereotypes are awkward and laughable today.

WayneO
-----------

Last edited by orzel-w on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's a good one! Totally agree. Very Happy

* A good movie-or-series about A TRIP TO MARS: Rocketship X-M

What made it so good: First of all, God made the travel arrangements (although in movie the scientist just calls HIM "a higher power". Close enough, eh?) Second, they discovered that an advanced civilization hadn't "played safe" with atomic energy. And third, they warned mankind that we'd better wise up or we'd suffer the same sorry fate!

Good movie, all things considered.

* A disappointing movie-or-series about A TRIP TO MARS: Abbott and Costello Go to Mars

What made it disappointing: Well . . . they never got there! Big disappointment. They just went to boring old Venus and flirted with those Venusian floozies! Bummer. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* A good movie-or-series with SCI-FI BABES FROM SPACE or THE FUTURE: Star Trek: TOS

What made it so good: The Starfleet uniforms for the ladies are hinny-high miniskirts, and go-go boots! Not a week went by that we didn't catch a glimpse of some gal's military issued underwear. I'm sure this had absolutely nothing to do with the popularity of the series among teenage boys. Rolling Eyes

* A disappointing movie-or-series with SCI-FI BABES FROM SPACE or THE FUTURE: Lost In Space (1965)

What made it disappointing: This show and others from Irwin Allen seemed think that bare legs were offensive! So, it was tights for all the ladies, regardless of the the length of their skirts. Puzzling attitude to say the least. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* A good movie-or-series about a MONSTER IN A CITY: Godzilla (1998)

What made it so good: This is the ultimate "monster in a city" movie, with a gorgeous creature, flawless FX, and spectacular scenes in which the military gets their khaki backsides soundly spanked by the most athletic beast ever to grace the screen. It "fixed" everything I've always disliked about the Japanese original.

* A disappointing movie-or-series about a MONSTER IN A CITY: Godzilla (1954)

What made it disappointing: For the life of me I can't fathom the popularity of this movie or any of it's sequels. Nothing about it has ever impressed me in the least. It just looks like a bad job from beginning to end. (My apologies to all the fans of these movies. That's just my take on the matter, folks. Sad )

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* A good movie-or-series about SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS GONE WRONG: The Fly (1986)

What made it so good: It was scary like the original, it was ambitious like the original, and it was a brand new premise like the original. The cast was bang on target, and the FX did the story justice. The Fly (1959) deserved a remake, and this one did it justice. That doesn't happen often.

* A disappointing movie-or-series about SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS GONE WRONG: The Thing With Two Heads (1972)

What made it disappointing: As comedy (which it is) this movie is not a failure. But as science fiction it isn't really trying, and therefore it doesn't really succeed. No surprise, of course. The story is suppose to be about an ailing rich man who wants his head transplanted to a healthy body. But the whole thing is tossed off so lightly for the sake of the comedy that the laughs are the only reason to watch it. And there aren't an over-abundance of those.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* A good movie-or-series that includes one-or-more ROBOTS: Battle Beyond the Stars

What made it so good: The scenes aboard Sam Jaffe's space station include actors who performed the stylized "robot" movements we've all seen. Jaffe made his robots look as real as possible just to give his lonely daughter the appearance of companions, but they couldn't actually move like real humans, and even their voices sounded very artificial.

So, we get the strange combination of robots that look real and yet act very mechanical — for reasons that serve the story quite well.

* A disappointing movie-or-series that includes one-or-more ROBOTS: Westworld (1973)

What made it disappointing: Here's a near-future story in which robots look, move, and sound like normal humans. They're even real enough to have sex with people! But . . . I don't buy it. We see their inner workings (not very hi-tech, really), and what we see in the rest of the movie just doesn't convince us that these are robots who can pass as people.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* A good movie-or-series about a MONSTER IN A CITY: Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

What made it so good: No movie about a monster in a city can equal this one, with the exception of Godzilla in 1998 — which I really love. (Call me crazy, but I think it rocks.)

Harryhausen's dinosaur is beautifully designed, and his animation is flawless. We get to see the rhedosaurus face a group of brave policemen with shotguns, attack an electrified barrier, eat a roller coaster, and snack on a poor cop who put way to much faith in his little pistol.

What a movie!

* A disappointing movie-or-series about a MONSTER IN A CITY: Gorgo

What made it disappointing: The movie works hard to compete with Godizilla and The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, but it certainly isn't as popular as the former and it ain't a pimple on the later. Without Harryhausen's animation or good CGI, these kind of movies just don't work.

And yet, the same director did this one and The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. Go figure, eh?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* A good movie-or-series about ALIEN INVADERS: The Invaders (1967)

What made it so good: Roy Thinnes is terrific as a man with a missions: alert mankind to the threat posed by aliens who are plotting to wipe us out. The show rationed out his successes and setbacks to concoct the perfect recipe for sci-fi action/adventure/drama. I bought the DVDs. Highly recommended show.

* A disappointing movie-or-series about ALIEN INVADERS: Strange Invaders (1983)

What made it disappointing: Despite being an attempt to recapture the feel of the 1950s sci-fi movies (allegedly), this one has failed to entertain me, even though I've watched it more than once.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* A good movie-or-series about ALIEN INVADERS: Independence Day (1996)

What made it so good: It's an energetic, fun-loving, action packed science fiction adventure which has a more intelligent script than it's critics seem to realize. The virus strategy, for example, makes perfect sense if you put all the clues together the film provides. (Read the thread if you haven't done so already.)

* A disappointing movie-or-series about ALIEN INVADERS: Cowboys & Aliens (2011)

What made it disappointing: Good God, what were they thinking? I'm sure there are talented filmmakers somewhere who could combine extraterrestrials with saddle tramps in an interesting story, but Sheriff Jon Favreau (the director) and his posse just couldn't bring this hombre back alive. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: